spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ThatDarnBear

join:2013-02-16
reply to ThatDarnBear

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast hates my gaming life...

I'm simply using what Comcast sent. I don't know their motivation. The Comcast rep asked for and received the serial number, the MAC ID, and the model number. As for the modem I selected I bought a recommended brand, selected from the Comcast list and price was a factor. I just moved and I really don't have the extra $50 for the next modem up. Based on the setup I had at my previous residence, which was slightly inferior to the items I bought, they should easily do what I need the to do. I've never had any issues being dropped or lagging much. I just need to figure out WHY it won't connect despite the fact that to all appearances it should.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ThatDarnBear:

As for the modem I selected I bought a recommended brand, selected from the Comcast list and price was a factor. I just moved and I really don't have the extra $50 for the next modem up.

Unfortunately, nobody here would have recommended an old D2 modem...particularly considering your intended usage.

Even though the TG 862 is a puzzle for a guy without Comcast phone, at least it gives you channel bonding, something that you do not have in the SB5101U.

If it is not too late, I seriously would recommend returning it. Anything less than a D3 modem simply makes no sense.
--
Deeds, not words

Extide

join:2000-06-11

1 recommendation

reply to ThatDarnBear

DEFINITELY Return that modem ASAP! It is only DOCSIS 2.0 as mentioned and you want a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. DOCSIS 2.0 is getting phased out and at this point is legacy technology.

Here is the short list of 'good' modems, these are all 8x4 channel modems, which is the latest tech on the market right now. These modems are all essentially the same so I would just go with whichever one you can get the cheapest.
Cisco/Linksys DPC3008
Zoom 5341J
Motorola SB6140/6141

The following are only 4x4 channel modems, which is still OK, but if you have the choice I would go for one of the 8x4 ones above, as it will be able to support much faster speeds, and Comcast is already using 8 channels down in many areas.
Motorola SB6120/6121

As far as a router, I am not sure what is good/not good these days as I use a pfSense box I built from scratch so I am kinda out of the loop on consumer routers these days.

Also, FWIW, note that the modem you purchased is essentially a 1x1 modem. It can only support 1 channel up and one down, while many of the latest DOCSIS 3.0 modems can support 8 channels down and 4 up. Especially on a crowded node that can mean the difference between getting your subscribes speed or not.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to ThatDarnBear

said by ThatDarnBear:

I just moved and I really don't have the extra $50 for the next modem up.

I figured this might be the case (not trying to make an example out of you or anything ), this is why I didn't press the issue too much when you posted the SB5101U.

If the SB5101U absolutely refuses to work (try calling in again, maybe a different CSR will have better luck provisioning it), then have them put the TG862 into bridge mode and connect the new router to that, then return the 5101. After a few months, consider one of the three modems that Extide See Profile mentioned and you can get rid of the rented modem then.
--
KI6RIT

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Extide

said by Extide:

DEFINITELY Return that modem ASAP! It is only DOCSIS 2.0 as mentioned and you want a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. DOCSIS 2.0 is getting phased out and at this point is legacy technology.

Here is the short list of 'good' modems, these are all 8x4 channel modems, which is the latest tech on the market right now. These modems are all essentially the same so I would just go with whichever one you can get the cheapest.
Cisco/Linksys DPC3008
Zoom 5341J
Motorola SB6140/6141

The following are only 4x4 channel modems, which is still OK, but if you have the choice I would go for one of the 8x4 ones above, as it will be able to support much faster speeds, and Comcast is already using 8 channels down in many areas.
Motorola SB6120/6121

As far as a router, I am not sure what is good/not good these days as I use a pfSense box I built from scratch so I am kinda out of the loop on consumer routers these days.

Also, FWIW, note that the modem you purchased is essentially a 1x1 modem. It can only support 1 channel up and one down, while many of the latest DOCSIS 3.0 modems can support 8 channels down and 4 up. Especially on a crowded node that can mean the difference between getting your subscribes speed or not.

Great explanation, and good short list of recommended modems.

If the OP cannot afford one of the afore-mentioned modems, then truth to tell, there is no point in purchasing one at this time.

When money is short, buying "cheap" and getting obsolesence actually costs more in the long run.

Although the older Motorola SB6121 (4x4) may be found at discount, from what I've seen, it still costs as much as the Zoom 5341J which at 8x8 would be the obvious choice.

As for a router, the WNDR3700 will do as long as the price was right. It is IPv6 compliant, and has a good track record.
--
Deeds, not words

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to ThatDarnBear

I wonder if the OP has a custom built machine or even an OEM one with an add on network card that's gone bad or the driver needs to be updated or something....

has the OP checked the diagnostics for the gaming consoles making sure that the old network configuration was erased or refreshed with the new IP address and such?

to the OP:

I understand being a little short on cash but sometimes going cheap can be costly in the long run. I would strongly suggest to return that SB5101 that you bought from Fry's [I can't believe they still stock it] and get a newer Doc3 modem.

ThatDarnBear

So...okay. I totally get what you guys are saying about spending more in the long run, it's just a strain right now. Regardless, let me cover a few points. Please bear in mind my extremely limited technical know-how.

A) The machine is custom built, though not by me...by a friend who lives 600 miles away and is presently on vacation in Florida thus difficult to reach for technical support.

B) Though I'm a complete dumb ass, I'm going to give the Comcast guy the benefit of the doubt and say he has some notion of what he's doing. That said, the modem I bought was fully provisioned in every way he could tell. He had all the pertinent details about the modem. It was active and sending packets back and forth. He told my that my IP was good, which he explained meant that the computer and modem were communicating. I'm assuming (possibly erroneously) that last fact would imply that my network card was good. Also, the computer itself WAS connected very successfully to a different network just 2 weeks ago. I'm assuming this could be relevant where perhaps I made some setting error, but it also seems to support the network card is working fine.

C) Let's assume I return the modem and spend the extra $50 for the next Motorola model up which has most of the bells and whistles, though not all. I can only assume (yes, I've been doing a lot of assuming) that I will get the same result re: the actual access to the internet regardless of the speed. That is to say this perfectly brand new (though clearly inferior) modem did not appear to be the actual problem. The root cause seems to lie elsewhere.

D) As far as updating drivers..well, 'm simply unsure what drivers you suggest I update. I'm certainly not opposed to doing so if I knew which drivers you meant.

E) Regarding my consoles and their connection to the network (as I understood your statement): I went into the menus on the PS3 and connected it to the new network. It has no difficulty pulling media from my computer for example. What it CAN'T do seemingly is access the PlayStation network. This is somewhat curious to me as it WILL (after failing to log into PSN) access Netflix, so there must be some sort of internet signal getting through the WiFi, but something is preventing it from connecting with PSN. It would be my guess that whatever is preventing that connection is also what is affecting my ability to connect to services like Steam, and the Secret World. As far as the Xbox 360 goes it's been established in this thread and elsewhere that there is a known issue between it and the Arris modem/router i'm using from Comcast and it is simply not going to connect until some new firmware is released. This is somewhat disconcerting as I'm an avid Gears of War fan, and the new GoW game comes out next month.

So...summing up: This is what I know (or think I know)...

1) with the Arris device connected via Ethernet to my PC I can surf the net fabulously and can connect via WiFi to my PS3 and my Android phone. I can get Netflix through this setup but time out trying to reach the PSN. I cannot and will not (for the foreseeable future) be able to connect my Xbox without using an Ethernet cable, and even then I doubt it will connect to Live. I cannot connect to Steam nor the Secret World. I believe this is caused by whatever is preventing access to the PSN.

2) Bridging my new router (still in it's wrapper) will still cost me $7 per month..money I could be using toward the purchase of a better modem, and I'm still unsure whether I could connect the Xbox.

3) By rights, the new modem should have worked and doesn't, therefore something else seems to be wrong. Something completely beyond my limited comprehension.

Let's assume I'm going to get the better modem and connect it to the router I've just purchased. I anticipate the same issue will occur after provisioning. Do you guys have any suggestion about what might be preventing the modem from actually connecting at that point? It seems like once that issue is resolved, the other issues can be resolved simply by setting up the new router properly.

And last but not least...thank you all for your suggestions and input. I know at least one of my posts was a bit snarky, but this whole situation is very frustrating. I'm in a very crappy place mentally and emotionally right now and my major outlet for blowing off steam has been knee-capped. If I sound crabby it's not directed at you guys. And, no, I'm not one of those insane people that rages at other players while I'm online. I'm actually very friendly and more of a co-op guy.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Hmmm, okay, if I may, just a few simple suggestions and choices to wrap this up if I may:

1. Return the SB5101U - period. It will not be a good solution for anything that you are trying to accomplish.

2a. If you can afford it, buy a Zoom 5341J, you can nab one at Best Buy for $79.95. Great modem, good price, modern and works like a charm for Comcast.

2b. If you can not afford $79.95 (and I can understand this!), then forget buying your own modem for now. Have Comcast bridge the TG862.

2c. Since you do not need an eMTA modem in the first place, a better solution would be to get Comcast to swap it for a simple D3 modem - not a gateway device!

3. Get Comcast to provision whichever modem from 2a/b/c as appropriate for your situation.

4. Now unwrap your Netgear WNDR3700, and set up your network.

Out of the choices (2a/b/c) above, I think that in the long run, 2a is best. You will save every month on Comcast's equipment charge, and this is a modem known to work very well with Comcast internet.

Now you have a "clean", very user-configurable network that should allow all of your devices to connect properly, and run at their best efficiency.
--
Deeds, not words

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to ThatDarnBear

just for the sake of troubleshooting...

1. return the modem and get a newer model.
2. have it provisioned and activated.
3. if possible, borrow a friend's laptop and connect it directly to modem and see if the connection will work.

let's tackle the gaming consoles later. we need to make sure you get basic connectivity via a pc or laptop.

i also wouldn't connect anything else right now like the router as this maybe beyond your ability or just not to complicate your basic setup.

ThatDarnBear

Borrowing the laptop presumably to see if the problem is actually my PC?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2
reply to ThatDarnBear

First, I want to say that I can totally understand how frustrating this can be. Prior to getting Comcast, you had service with another provider, and everything worked as it should. Because of things in your life, you now have Comcast, and nothing is working (or if it is working, its not working fully). So, its OK if you are frustrated at the situation in general. I personally did not see what you were saying as an attack on myself (or any user for that matter) who has posted in this thread.

The thing that I do see is that you are someone who, while not having a full understanding of the background and how this is all suppose to work, is willing to listen and work with us to help you solve your problem, and get things working again for you with Comcast.

Keep your head up! I know it has been a few days, and it looks like no end is in site, but I think we are getting close to getting things resolved.

said by ThatDarnBear:

1) with the Arris device connected via Ethernet to my PC I can surf the net fabulously and can connect via WiFi to my PS3 and my Android phone. I can get Netflix through this setup but time out trying to reach the PSN. I cannot and will not (for the foreseeable future) be able to connect my Xbox without using an Ethernet cable, and even then I doubt it will connect to Live. I cannot connect to Steam nor the Secret World. I believe this is caused by whatever is preventing access to the PSN.

Just wanted to clarify a few things with this. You mention Netflix, Steam, and Secret World, and PSN (which I have figured out is Playstation Network). When you are saying you can reach Netflix, is that from your PC, or is it from the PS3? The same is true with Steam and Secret World. I ask as I know you can run both Netflix and Steam from a PC, but I also know you can run Netflix from a PS3. I am not sure about Steam, or Secret World, so that is why I'm asking. What I'm trying to figure out here is if the reason those don't work is related to problems with Comcast directly (you cannot connect to internet, so they don't work), or is a configuration issue with your router, network, or the actual device (in this case, the PS3).

said by ThatDarnBear:

2) Bridging my new router (still in it's wrapper) will still cost me $7 per month..money I could be using toward the purchase of a better modem, and I'm still unsure whether I could connect the Xbox.

Once your modem is in bridge mode, and you connect your new router, you should no longer have the issue with the Xbox 360 using a wireless connection from your router. The problem is in the firmware of the Arris combo modem/router that you are renting from Comcast (on the router side of things). When the modem is put into bridge mode, what you are really doing is turning off the router features of the device. With your own router, it won't have the same issues that the Arris Modem/Router from Comcast has. You can also use your own purchased modem and router, which will save you $7 a month in the rental fee, and that should also work with your Xbox as well.

said by ThatDarnBear:

3) By rights, the new modem should have worked and doesn't, therefore something else seems to be wrong. Something completely beyond my limited comprehension.

Yes, I am not understanding why your PC was not working either. Since Comcast was able to see the signals and everything with the modem, and the fact that they could tell you what your IP was (this would of course be the public IP on the Comcast network) as you were connected directly to it, then your PC got that IP, and should have been able to surf the web without problems. As you said, you had this same PC connected to a different ISP a few weeks ago and that worked fine. So, things like network drivers and stuff should not be an issue now. I'm also at a loss with this part of it, unless it was just a bad modem.

said by ThatDarnBear:

Let's assume I'm going to get the better modem and connect it to the router I've just purchased. I anticipate the same issue will occur after provisioning. Do you guys have any suggestion about what might be preventing the modem from actually connecting at that point? It seems like once that issue is resolved, the other issues can be resolved simply by setting up the new router properly.

Again I agree with you here. I have no idea why your first modem did not work, even though all signs point to the fact that it should have worked. You are also correct, that once your PC is working directly with your modem, the rest will fall in place by making the proper configurations to each device and your router.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to ThatDarnBear

Like others here, I don't like gateways. If you have phone service, then you more or less should rent from Comcast. That said, try and get the gateway replaced with a simple D3 eMTA so you can use your own router. I'm not as familiar with eMTA models, but maybe somebody can give some that Comcast typically supplies.

If you have a strong enough signal, you can use a splitter and use the Comcast device for the phone, and your own modem for Internet.

If you don't have phone service, then most any modem will do. Again, I would recommend a D3 modem, as any slightly higher cost now will pay off in the long run.

ThatDarnBear

reply to plencnerb

The most vexing thing about this is that I recently moved from my house to an apartment and Comcast WAS my provider and I didn't have any of these issues.

As far as Netflix goes, I can connect from both the PC (via ethernet) AND on the PS3 (via the WiFi). That latter part confuses me most, because it would seem the there must be some internet reception on the PS3 or it shouldn't be able to get Netflix at all. Therefore it's that much more frustrating that it won't connect to the PSN.

I just now (while posting this) ordered the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J. Turns out I had a $15 credit and it was only $72, plus I have Prime so I'm getting tomorrow for about the price of the modem I'll be returning to Fry's.

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

awesome! keep us posted, i really hope the Zoom works for you.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ThatDarnBear

said by ThatDarnBear:

I just now (while posting this) ordered the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J. Turns out I had a $15 credit and it was only $72, plus I have Prime so I'm getting tomorrow for about the price of the modem I'll be returning to Fry's.

Excellent! I think that you will find that this is the best solution to your problem.
--
Deeds, not words

obckilroy

join:2011-11-16
reply to ThatDarnBear

I wonder if your modem was stuck in captive portal and not redirecting the browser...
Its that purgatory after walled garden but before full fledged surfing where you get redirected to the email creation and software download.
I would _hope_ that the phone rep would have pushed the modem out of captive portal, but who knows

ThatDarnBear

And now Comcast is trying to bill me for both modems (the gateway and the first modem that didn't work) and $25 for two self install kits I never received. This just keeps getting better.

johnfc

join:2002-11-23
Gaithersburg, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ThatDarnBear

Hi Old Bear, the Zoom modem is the way to go IMO. Also the Netgear router should be serviceable. But the question I have for you is how are you trying to get the XBox hooked up? You said in an earlier post that you are a bit of a newbie, so I hope you know that you need to go into the Xbox settings, pick your new router, add the correct router password and then log in. Correct. Also you might want to think about resetting teh Xbox if there is such an option to defaults before trying to set up the Xbox, .. I am wondering if it is hanging on to an old IP address from your old set up?

Regarding logging into the PSN network are you using the correct user id and password? Sometime the simple solutions are best sorted out first.

Good luck.

ThatDarnBear

I'm not in the mood to deal with Comcast tonight and I have a doctor's appointment in the AM, so I haven't set up the Zoom yet.

RE the Xbox: Again, there is a known incompatibility issue between the Xfinity gateway and the 360. The 360 simply will not connect. I have attempted it dozens of times just to torture myself. I also went back and redid the initial Xbox setup with the same results.

RE the PS3: I had no real issues getting it to connect to the network. My account name and password for PSN remains saved and unchanged. It tells me that my connection to Sony's network has timed out. No issues at all regarding the password or account.

ThatDarnBear

So..due to my work schedule and whatnot, I've decided to wait until Saturday to attempt this whole mess with Comcast...but in the interest of science, I tried a few things.

First, I hooked up my Xbox to the router via ethernet. At that point it WAS able to connect to the computer, but was still unable to access the net, and subsequently Xbox Live.

I tried hooking up my PS3 in the same way. I'll note at this point (because I don't know if I did previously) that when connected via WiFi, the PS3 was still able to access Netflix even though it couldn't get on PSN. So, I wired it to the gateway and basically got the exact same results.

So..does this mean the Comcast gateway is buggy? Or is my computer doing some ninja firewall stuff.?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2

2 recommendations

Since you plugged both your Xbox and PS3 directly into the Comcast Gateway Device, that would tell me that there is a configuration setting on the router side of things that needs to be modified to get them to work correctly.

However, this is one of the many downsides of the Combo devices. Since it is Comcast's, what may need to be changed may not be able to be changed by you as Comcast has locked you out of it.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about either gaming device to tell you what needs to be done (Ports to open, configuration settings, etc).

This is where using your own router (Netgear WNDR3700) will be of a great advantage, as whatever modifications you need to make you should have access to do so, as its YOUR Router!

Keep us posted on how things go tomorrow with Comcast.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

ThatDarnBear

Thanks. What continues to vex me though is that both the original modem Comcast provided and the Motorola (which has since been returned toy Fry's) were unable to access the internet at all. Obviously, the Comcast gateway had nothing to do with that and in neither circumstance was a router ever involved since there was no point in even setting one up on a no-go modem. My big fear at this point is that I'm going to install the new Zoom modem, call Comcast for setup and get the same result. Then I'll be forced to to make Comcast switch back to the gateway and I'll be back to square one.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ThatDarnBear:

My big fear at this point is that I'm going to install the new Zoom modem, call Comcast for setup and get the same result. Then I'll be forced to to make Comcast switch back to the gateway and I'll be back to square one.

As long as the Zoom modem is a new (not refurb) unit, there is no reason that Comcast can not provision it. If for any reason that is the case, then something out of the ordinary is going on...

In fact, you should not have to call Comcast at all, just go in through the walled garden. I just installed the same modem, and as soon as I hooked up the modem to my computer, the Comcast install page popped up. (Although in my case, because I was keeping an eMTA also connected, I still went through CS to provision it)
--
Deeds, not words

ThatDarnBear

I hear what you're saying, Pete, but the first Comcast modem (while not likely new) should have worked and certainly the Motorola modem I tried (which WAS brand spanking new) should have under the same premise that you suggest. On an unrelated note, your frequent references to the walled garden just make me want Chinese food. Is that just me? I'll go ahead and try to hook hook up the Zoom before I call Comcast and see if I have any luck. I'm not hopeful, though.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by ThatDarnBear:

I hear what you're saying, Pete, but the first Comcast modem (while not likely new) should have worked and certainly the Motorola modem I tried (which WAS brand spanking new) should have under the same premise that you suggest.

Absolutely agree with that! If they can not provision the Zoom modem, then there is a connectivity issue at your location that needs to be addressed by Comcast. As long as the Motorola modem that you bought was new, there should have been no issues provisioning it.

***I'm not familiar with Fry's personally, but it has occurred that returned products have been re-packaged and sold as new...not saying that this happened in your case, but it has happened (Here is an example, not judging, but...»frys-electronics.pissedconsumer.···521.html )***

IMHO, a lot of flaky stuff went on with your installation in the first place, starting with this: "The installer left before I could even get internet service through the crappy modem, but he assured me the one I was being mailed would resolve the issue if customer service couldn't."

The installer did not complete his contracted work if he left without your internet being successfully installed. If for whatever reason he did not have the proper equipment - that was his problem, and should have returned and completed the job! That in and of itself is a sufficient reason for a complaint.

Then, why the heck they even sent you a wireless eMTA makes no good sense either. If you ordered a wifi installation, then they should have brought out, and installed a wireless gateway (unless you asked for the gateway option after your initial service order?).

Unfortunately Comcast installers are inconsistent in terms of experience. The ones in my area are a pretty sharp bunch, and you seldom hear any complaints about service calls around here, but I know that this is by no means universally true.
--
Deeds, not words