uniqs

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to ThatDarnBear

Premium Member

to ThatDarnBear

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast hates my gaming life...

First, I want to say that I can totally understand how frustrating this can be. Prior to getting Comcast, you had service with another provider, and everything worked as it should. Because of things in your life, you now have Comcast, and nothing is working (or if it is working, its not working fully). So, its OK if you are frustrated at the situation in general. I personally did not see what you were saying as an attack on myself (or any user for that matter) who has posted in this thread.

The thing that I do see is that you are someone who, while not having a full understanding of the background and how this is all suppose to work, is willing to listen and work with us to help you solve your problem, and get things working again for you with Comcast.

Keep your head up! I know it has been a few days, and it looks like no end is in site, but I think we are getting close to getting things resolved.
said by ThatDarnBear:

1) with the Arris device connected via Ethernet to my PC I can surf the net fabulously and can connect via WiFi to my PS3 and my Android phone. I can get Netflix through this setup but time out trying to reach the PSN. I cannot and will not (for the foreseeable future) be able to connect my Xbox without using an Ethernet cable, and even then I doubt it will connect to Live. I cannot connect to Steam nor the Secret World. I believe this is caused by whatever is preventing access to the PSN.

Just wanted to clarify a few things with this. You mention Netflix, Steam, and Secret World, and PSN (which I have figured out is Playstation Network). When you are saying you can reach Netflix, is that from your PC, or is it from the PS3? The same is true with Steam and Secret World. I ask as I know you can run both Netflix and Steam from a PC, but I also know you can run Netflix from a PS3. I am not sure about Steam, or Secret World, so that is why I'm asking. What I'm trying to figure out here is if the reason those don't work is related to problems with Comcast directly (you cannot connect to internet, so they don't work), or is a configuration issue with your router, network, or the actual device (in this case, the PS3).
said by ThatDarnBear:

2) Bridging my new router (still in it's wrapper) will still cost me $7 per month..money I could be using toward the purchase of a better modem, and I'm still unsure whether I could connect the Xbox.

Once your modem is in bridge mode, and you connect your new router, you should no longer have the issue with the Xbox 360 using a wireless connection from your router. The problem is in the firmware of the Arris combo modem/router that you are renting from Comcast (on the router side of things). When the modem is put into bridge mode, what you are really doing is turning off the router features of the device. With your own router, it won't have the same issues that the Arris Modem/Router from Comcast has. You can also use your own purchased modem and router, which will save you $7 a month in the rental fee, and that should also work with your Xbox as well.
said by ThatDarnBear:

3) By rights, the new modem should have worked and doesn't, therefore something else seems to be wrong. Something completely beyond my limited comprehension.

Yes, I am not understanding why your PC was not working either. Since Comcast was able to see the signals and everything with the modem, and the fact that they could tell you what your IP was (this would of course be the public IP on the Comcast network) as you were connected directly to it, then your PC got that IP, and should have been able to surf the web without problems. As you said, you had this same PC connected to a different ISP a few weeks ago and that worked fine. So, things like network drivers and stuff should not be an issue now. I'm also at a loss with this part of it, unless it was just a bad modem.
said by ThatDarnBear:

Let's assume I'm going to get the better modem and connect it to the router I've just purchased. I anticipate the same issue will occur after provisioning. Do you guys have any suggestion about what might be preventing the modem from actually connecting at that point? It seems like once that issue is resolved, the other issues can be resolved simply by setting up the new router properly.

Again I agree with you here. I have no idea why your first modem did not work, even though all signs point to the fact that it should have worked. You are also correct, that once your PC is working directly with your modem, the rest will fall in place by making the proper configurations to each device and your router.

--Brian

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to ThatDarnBear

MVM

to ThatDarnBear
Like others here, I don't like gateways. If you have phone service, then you more or less should rent from Comcast. That said, try and get the gateway replaced with a simple D3 eMTA so you can use your own router. I'm not as familiar with eMTA models, but maybe somebody can give some that Comcast typically supplies.

If you have a strong enough signal, you can use a splitter and use the Comcast device for the phone, and your own modem for Internet.

If you don't have phone service, then most any modem will do. Again, I would recommend a D3 modem, as any slightly higher cost now will pay off in the long run.
ThatDarnBear
join:2013-02-16

ThatDarnBear to plencnerb

to plencnerb
The most vexing thing about this is that I recently moved from my house to an apartment and Comcast WAS my provider and I didn't have any of these issues.

As far as Netflix goes, I can connect from both the PC (via ethernet) AND on the PS3 (via the WiFi). That latter part confuses me most, because it would seem the there must be some internet reception on the PS3 or it shouldn't be able to get Netflix at all. Therefore it's that much more frustrating that it won't connect to the PSN.

I just now (while posting this) ordered the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J. Turns out I had a $15 credit and it was only $72, plus I have Prime so I'm getting tomorrow for about the price of the modem I'll be returning to Fry's.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

awesome! keep us posted, i really hope the Zoom works for you.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to ThatDarnBear

MVM

to ThatDarnBear
said by ThatDarnBear:

I just now (while posting this) ordered the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J. Turns out I had a $15 credit and it was only $72, plus I have Prime so I'm getting tomorrow for about the price of the modem I'll be returning to Fry's.

Excellent! I think that you will find that this is the best solution to your problem.
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to ThatDarnBear

to ThatDarnBear
I wonder if your modem was stuck in captive portal and not redirecting the browser...
Its that purgatory after walled garden but before full fledged surfing where you get redirected to the email creation and software download.
I would _hope_ that the phone rep would have pushed the modem out of captive portal, but who knows
ThatDarnBear

ThatDarnBear

And now Comcast is trying to bill me for both modems (the gateway and the first modem that didn't work) and $25 for two self install kits I never received. This just keeps getting better.
johnfc
join:2002-11-23
Gaithersburg, MD

johnfc to ThatDarnBear

to ThatDarnBear
Hi Old Bear, the Zoom modem is the way to go IMO. Also the Netgear router should be serviceable. But the question I have for you is how are you trying to get the XBox hooked up? You said in an earlier post that you are a bit of a newbie, so I hope you know that you need to go into the Xbox settings, pick your new router, add the correct router password and then log in. Correct. Also you might want to think about resetting teh Xbox if there is such an option to defaults before trying to set up the Xbox, .. I am wondering if it is hanging on to an old IP address from your old set up?

Regarding logging into the PSN network are you using the correct user id and password? Sometime the simple solutions are best sorted out first.

Good luck.
ThatDarnBear

ThatDarnBear

I'm not in the mood to deal with Comcast tonight and I have a doctor's appointment in the AM, so I haven't set up the Zoom yet.

RE the Xbox: Again, there is a known incompatibility issue between the Xfinity gateway and the 360. The 360 simply will not connect. I have attempted it dozens of times just to torture myself. I also went back and redid the initial Xbox setup with the same results.

RE the PS3: I had no real issues getting it to connect to the network. My account name and password for PSN remains saved and unchanged. It tells me that my connection to Sony's network has timed out. No issues at all regarding the password or account.
ThatDarnBear

ThatDarnBear

So..due to my work schedule and whatnot, I've decided to wait until Saturday to attempt this whole mess with Comcast...but in the interest of science, I tried a few things.

First, I hooked up my Xbox to the router via ethernet. At that point it WAS able to connect to the computer, but was still unable to access the net, and subsequently Xbox Live.

I tried hooking up my PS3 in the same way. I'll note at this point (because I don't know if I did previously) that when connected via WiFi, the PS3 was still able to access Netflix even though it couldn't get on PSN. So, I wired it to the gateway and basically got the exact same results.

So..does this mean the Comcast gateway is buggy? Or is my computer doing some ninja firewall stuff.?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

2 recommendations

plencnerb

Premium Member

Since you plugged both your Xbox and PS3 directly into the Comcast Gateway Device, that would tell me that there is a configuration setting on the router side of things that needs to be modified to get them to work correctly.

However, this is one of the many downsides of the Combo devices. Since it is Comcast's, what may need to be changed may not be able to be changed by you as Comcast has locked you out of it.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about either gaming device to tell you what needs to be done (Ports to open, configuration settings, etc).

This is where using your own router (Netgear WNDR3700) will be of a great advantage, as whatever modifications you need to make you should have access to do so, as its YOUR Router!

Keep us posted on how things go tomorrow with Comcast.

--Brian
ThatDarnBear

ThatDarnBear

Thanks. What continues to vex me though is that both the original modem Comcast provided and the Motorola (which has since been returned toy Fry's) were unable to access the internet at all. Obviously, the Comcast gateway had nothing to do with that and in neither circumstance was a router ever involved since there was no point in even setting one up on a no-go modem. My big fear at this point is that I'm going to install the new Zoom modem, call Comcast for setup and get the same result. Then I'll be forced to to make Comcast switch back to the gateway and I'll be back to square one.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by ThatDarnBear:

My big fear at this point is that I'm going to install the new Zoom modem, call Comcast for setup and get the same result. Then I'll be forced to to make Comcast switch back to the gateway and I'll be back to square one.

As long as the Zoom modem is a new (not refurb) unit, there is no reason that Comcast can not provision it. If for any reason that is the case, then something out of the ordinary is going on...

In fact, you should not have to call Comcast at all, just go in through the walled garden. I just installed the same modem, and as soon as I hooked up the modem to my computer, the Comcast install page popped up. (Although in my case, because I was keeping an eMTA also connected, I still went through CS to provision it)
ThatDarnBear

ThatDarnBear

I hear what you're saying, Pete, but the first Comcast modem (while not likely new) should have worked and certainly the Motorola modem I tried (which WAS brand spanking new) should have under the same premise that you suggest. On an unrelated note, your frequent references to the walled garden just make me want Chinese food. Is that just me? I'll go ahead and try to hook hook up the Zoom before I call Comcast and see if I have any luck. I'm not hopeful, though.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

said by ThatDarnBear:

I hear what you're saying, Pete, but the first Comcast modem (while not likely new) should have worked and certainly the Motorola modem I tried (which WAS brand spanking new) should have under the same premise that you suggest.

Absolutely agree with that! If they can not provision the Zoom modem, then there is a connectivity issue at your location that needs to be addressed by Comcast. As long as the Motorola modem that you bought was new, there should have been no issues provisioning it.

***I'm not familiar with Fry's personally, but it has occurred that returned products have been re-packaged and sold as new...not saying that this happened in your case, but it has happened (Here is an example, not judging, but...»frys-electronics.pissedc ··· 521.html )***

IMHO, a lot of flaky stuff went on with your installation in the first place, starting with this: "The installer left before I could even get internet service through the crappy modem, but he assured me the one I was being mailed would resolve the issue if customer service couldn't."

The installer did not complete his contracted work if he left without your internet being successfully installed. If for whatever reason he did not have the proper equipment - that was his problem, and should have returned and completed the job! That in and of itself is a sufficient reason for a complaint.

Then, why the heck they even sent you a wireless eMTA makes no good sense either. If you ordered a wifi installation, then they should have brought out, and installed a wireless gateway (unless you asked for the gateway option after your initial service order?).

Unfortunately Comcast installers are inconsistent in terms of experience. The ones in my area are a pretty sharp bunch, and you seldom hear any complaints about service calls around here, but I know that this is by no means universally true.