All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ccjmcmahon
join:2013-02-16

ccjmcmahon

Rather complicated VPN help...

I am new to VPN with some basic networking experience... I would like to create a VPN connecting my Windows 7 PC to my Android 2.3 phone. I set up a VPN on the PC just using Change Adapter Settings via Control Panel. With everything set and ready to go, I put the name etc. into my phone and... nothing. It can never connect.
I think I may know the reason, and I have been unable to find resources online with a similar set up. My network looks like this:

Win7 PC Router \
Xbox 360 Router - Jolicloud Netbook/modem
Ubuntu PC (((WiFi))) Router /

I use the netbook running Jolicloud to share its internet connection through the router to the other 3 devices (Win7 PC, Xbox, Ubuntu PC). The ethernet port from the netbook is connected to the "modem" port on my router. On the other end, the netbook is connected to my house's primary wireless network (that the rest of the family uses). That combination router/modem (really a piece of garbage from Frontier that we're required to use) is the first access point.

This is done mainly to A) give my Win7 PC an internet connection (no wireless card; a solid gaming rig though) and B) strengthen the wifi signal in my office. I believe the problem lies in the external IP address of the Win 7 PC, and that somehow the shared internet connection is changing/altering it without my knowledge.

I'm getting two Raspberry Pis shortly and hope to have this figured out before then... Thanks for reading this novella!
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

a) what do you hope to accomplish with the VPN

b) can you put the Frontier router/modem combo into some sort of bridge mode?

If you hope to connect the Android phone to your Win7 PC while on the road, you'll DEFINATELY need
to be able to reach your public IP address you're currently getting from Frontier.

Regards
ccjmcmahon

ccjmcmahon

Click for full size
I'm sorry about the network map from the prior post... I uploaded a new one.

A) Basically, I hope to be able to access documents, pictures, videos, and other media from my Windows 7 PC from my Android phone. I would prefer to use VPN over the "cloud" (I know, a poor marketing term) due to security and cost.

B) I don't believe so, but I would not prefer to anyway. My family uses the wireless network provided by that router/modem. I only use it to connect to the Jolicloud netbook; otherwise I use the wireless network provided by the other router.

When I ask Google what my IP address is, it returns a value, but that value does not work on my phone... I suppose I could try the same thing on a computer connected directly to the frontier router/modem and see what values are different.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Install TeamViewer on your PC, set it to start itself when your PC boots up. Create an account for yourself in TeamViewer. Download the TeamViewer app on your phone. Now you can get on your PC from anywhere, for free.

»www.teamviewer.com

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to ccjmcmahon

Premium Member

to ccjmcmahon

Encryption

TeamViewer includes full encryption, based on RSA private-/public key exchange and AES (256 Bit) session encoding. This technology is based on the same standards as https/SSL and is considered completely safe by today's standards.

The key exchange also guarantees a full client-to-client data protection. This means that even our routing servers will not be able to read the data stream
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to ccjmcmahon

MVM

to ccjmcmahon
Could probably port forward PPTP / TCP port# 1723 to your Win7 box and set up a PPTP server on it.
If you're security-conscious, I'd keep far, far away from PPTP though as it is cryptographically very weak.

Otherwise, HarryH3 See Profile and Anav See Profile mention a viable alternative.

Regards
ccjmcmahon

ccjmcmahon

Thanks for the responses! TeamViewer is a good option if I intend to keep the server running on my Windows 7 box (which may very well happen). However, I hope to dedicate a Raspberry Pi board to act as a 24/7 media server (to save power and cost) and move the media to NAS. This current set-up attempt was to see if there were problems on the Android end. I don't think TeamViewer has a Linux version compatible with RasPi... unless Android comes around to it (then again I'm not sure TeamViewer can work Android to Android either). As for PPTP, you said it HELLFIRE, security is weak...

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I have an app on my samsung for Team Viewer. Works great.
Another option I am exploring, in slow time, because I am a IT illiterate moron - one who has to learn by mistakes only, is creating an L2TP vpn tunnel for my android to reach my NAS boxes. It helps that I have a VPN firewall router as my main router at home.