Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

Youtube is slow

We have ATT Uverse, 12/1.5 package, and all speed tests are showing up at 11.5/1.2, both on wired and wireless. However, anytime we go to YouTube, it is incredibly slow. I have tried changing the Wireless Channel in the Uverse Gateway, but haven't noticed much of a difference on any channel. I also changed the DNS in our TCP/IP settings and am now using OpenDNS, and I also updated Flash Player and Java, and no improvement. I am wondering, is there anything else I can do? Every video pauses every 5 seconds to buffer, even at 360p. Thanks
--
No Victim=No Crime

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

That seems to be a common complaint on many ISP's. For me, 720 is ok but 1080 is always buffering like mad.

billydunwood

united state

said by Juggernaut:

That seems to be a common complaint on many ISP's. For me, 720 is ok but 1080 is always buffering like mad.

I know YouTube needs more bandwith, but it never used to be this slow. Your lucky, a 3min 720p video would probably take 15 minutes or so to fully buffer
--
No Victim=No Crime

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
reply to billydunwood

you can get Youtube to load? it just times out here.. and Google itself takes 30-60 seconds to respond/load.. doing a search may or may not result in a timeout..

I think google is having problems tonight..

billydunwood

united state

said by beerbum:

you can get Youtube to load? it just times out here.. and Google itself takes 30-60 seconds to respond/load.. doing a search may or may not result in a timeout..

I think google is having problems tonight..

I get google and YouTube to load just fine. YouTube has been this slow for me for the past 2 months, but it's getting worse.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to Juggernaut

Yes I usually have no problems with 720p or SD. Something I really want in 1080p I'll DL it first, which usually goes pretty quick as it is a continuous stream not on demand chunks, watching is.
--

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to billydunwood

I visit multiple forums including small net builder, Asus, linksys, and other networking sites and see fairly common buffering complaints increasing. Many of the complainants have low latency high bandwidth connections. There seems to be no common denominator between them. Personally I use opendns and have a 75/5 twc connection that performs flawlessly on everything except for streaming HD videos from YouTube.

Where there's smoke there's fire. Something is wrong somewhere.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
reply to billydunwood

It is a fact that Google has been having some problems for the past few days. I even saw a news article about it, yesterday.

Tim

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to billydunwood

I could be wrong, but it sure does seem if you watch some of YouTube's big money makers/partners they load fine in 1080 but watch joe blow's video in 1080 and your gonna be buffering a lot.
I've noticed this for quite some time now. And its getting worse it seems.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

AdamB

join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood

We are discussing this issue on the Uverse forum, »Youtube sucks for me

There is definitely a routing issue with AT&T because this is recent for me as far as the slowness goes. When I use my VPN, the slowness goes away.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
reply to billydunwood

Just shows that the peering point into the AT&T network is overloaded, Google won't pony up the dollars for more capacity, AT&T could careless, there a teir 1 provider, they never pay for bandwidth, as the ARE the internet ( same as Verizon )

The Dord
Gamecenter CX
Premium
join:2005-01-06
Belleville, MI

1 edit

I was having the same slow buffering issues since yesterday (on old AT&T DSL) and this drives me bonkers as well.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

I also changed the DNS in our TCP/IP settings and am now using OpenDNS

That may be the source of your problem. Using a public DNS server breaks the geolocation functionality used by major content delivery networks that serve bandwidth-intensive content like videos. This can result in the data being served from a POP a great distance from your location and therefore sluggish performance. Try changing back to your ISPs DNS servers temporarily and see if it makes a difference.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

youtube is butt slow here in pittsburgh on fios.. bout the only thing slow, everything else is snappy..

someone prolly packeting them for some dumb shit

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to billydunwood

Most of the time I just hit re-load. As soon as YouTube allows me to click on the gear icon to change the quality, I hit 1080p and it starts buffering a lot faster. Not sure why... it usually works.

billydunwood

united state

1 recommendation

reply to pike

I changed to OpenDNS because Youtube was slow on Uverse DNS too.
--
No Victim=No Crime

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

You should definitely use your ISP DNS .. it is the only way to know the best path from your location thru you ISP's network

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood

UPDATE: I changed my DNS to Google DNS for both IPV4 and IPV6, and YouTube loads better, but not quite as fast as it used to be.
--
No Victim=No Crime

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood

For all who are having slow youtube make sure you right click and choose "report playback issue"... they do gather the data and look for routing issues.

You can get an idea of the speeds their system sees for your isp at this page:

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
reply to billydunwood

Youtube is pausing for me today. Three different computers, so it's my home network or them and I'm thinking them or Verizon.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to dib22

I went to that site and tried the test video in real time streaming, and nothing there showed me what my speed was/is.
No ad blockers on this browser.

I think they have an issue with that page.

The " (look next to "Streaming HTTP"). " was no where to be found.

--

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by Robotics:

I went to that site and tried the test video in real time streaming, and nothing there showed me what my speed was/is.

I just tried the video and your right it seems they have removed that.

I was referring to the graph that it generates above the sample video.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

The graph was still useful to me. Appears my ISP is the fastest in this area.
Hope they get that other thing working, I would be curious what it actually does during streaming on their site.

--

Expand your moderator at work

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood

Re: Youtube is slow

This might be of use to anyone having issues with YouTube.

This isn't Time Warner Cable specific despite the link/title text.

said by »dd.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1···ottling/ :

Sorry if this was posted before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but anyways...

Turns out that there's some bandwidth throttling that TWC does to cache servers that host video content for web services (YouTube, Netflix, twitch.tv, etc.).

To get around this, you can block the following IP ranges (Windows Firewall, ipfw in Linux):

173.194.55.0/24

206.111.0.0/16

By blocking these addresses, the videos will be served to you directly instead of being throttled by the ISP. You can read more info about it here. It should have some more detailed information and links to some videos and tutorials for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I just did this in Windows 8, and I went from barely being able to watch Merlini on 360p, to watching him without skipping at 1200p+. Hope it helps!

billydunwood

united state

said by Xioden:

This might be of use to anyone having issues with YouTube.

This isn't Time Warner Cable specific despite the link/title text.

said by »dd.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1···ottling/ :

Sorry if this was posted before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but anyways...

Turns out that there's some bandwidth throttling that TWC does to cache servers that host video content for web services (YouTube, Netflix, twitch.tv, etc.).

To get around this, you can block the following IP ranges (Windows Firewall, ipfw in Linux):

173.194.55.0/24

206.111.0.0/16

By blocking these addresses, the videos will be served to you directly instead of being throttled by the ISP. You can read more info about it here. It should have some more detailed information and links to some videos and tutorials for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I just did this in Windows 8, and I went from barely being able to watch Merlini on 360p, to watching him without skipping at 1200p+. Hope it helps!

I thank you so very much for telling me about this. I did this, and can now watch YouTube in 720p and 1080p HD without buffering. Kudos to you.
--
No Victim=No Crime

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to Robotics

Thanks to the post below,and a thread it led to, and looking through the comments it appears you can see the test video information by right clicking on the youtube video and choosing "show video info" on the my_speed page.

edit: I take it back... it only ever shows 0kbps as the speed... oh well worth checking.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to billydunwood

The address range blocking seems to have worked for me, too. Here is what I entered in Linux:

iptables -I INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP

Thank you very much, Xioden See Profile

Tim

--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

1 recommendation

said by timcuth:

iptables -I INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP

Someone elsewhere suggests changing DROP to REJECT. Changes the timeout so connection isn't left open waiting for something that will never arrive.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
reply to billydunwood

Nice, it works on Verizon FiOS like a charm. 720p/1080p loads instantly across all devices now.