Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[FireFox] Firefox ESR?

The FAQ for FX ESR state:

"At the end of the support period for an ESR version:

the release will reach its end-of-life
no further updates will be offered for that version
an update to the next version will be offered through the application update service"

»www.mozilla.org/en-US/fi ··· ons/faq/

When I check for updates for Fx 10.0.12 ESR, I am told that I am up to date. I am NOT offered the new ESR version. I recall there is about a three month overlap period from the time the new ESR version is first available and the time at which the old version becomes no longer supported/updated. I thought I recalled the latter would happen this month. So, why am I not being offered the new version when I check for updates?

I have tried several times to subscribe to the ESR mailing list and I have never gotten any mail from that list. Supposedly, that is the only way to communicate with Mozilla about ESR version. I can try again to subscribe but I no longer have a tolerable email client now that I have Windows 8 and my main email address is rejected by SeaMonkey mail and Thunderbird (dslr.net) and I have to use Opera mail which is very difficult to learn. So, I don't really want to subscribe to the ESR list serv. I wish Mozilla had a forum instead.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

I'd call it one of those "works in theory" systems--sometimes doesn't work as well as you'd like.

I bypassed Mozilla's update process long ago. I just use the portable version(s) and get notified of updates via RSS, at which point I either update or wait till I'm good & ready (a week or more later... usually more these days).

»portableapps.com/apps/in ··· able-esr

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I'm with NoHereNoMo See Profile on this one. I stopped relying on all automatic updates to my installed applications. In fact, I have a specific bookmark folder that contains the links to either the main webpage, or direct download (ftp server for example) of all of my installed software. Since they are all in one folder, I can just click "Open All In Tabs" and check each page to see what the current version of the software is. See attached picture.

I did a quick Google search for "firefox esr download" and the below link came up as the first hit

»www.mozilla.org/en-US/fi ··· all.html

This appears to be the "official" location to download the most recent version of Firefox ESR. According to the page, they are up to version 17.0.2esr.

I would recommend that you bookmark that link, and check it every so often to see when a new version is out. Then, download manually and upgrade as needed.

I personally will check my versions at least one every 2 weeks to make sure I'm running the most current versions of all my installed software. Of course, I also have a folder on my 2nd 500 GB drive called "Applications" where I store not only the current versions, but past versions too (in case there was a problem with a newer one, I can always go back to the previous one without any hassle). That repository is just over 22 GB in size.

--Brian

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

an update to the next version will be offered through the application update service"
So, why am I not being offered the new version when I check for updates?

Because there is no new version yet for you.

The 10 ESR branch is still supported - when Firefox reaches 19.0, ESR 10 goes end-of-life.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Looking at the older projected schedule referenced by OP, it looks like 17.0.2esr would indicate the EOL for 10.0esr. Looking at the actual recent & present release schedule(s), it looks more like it will actually be when 17.0.3esr is released (same time as 19.0 supposedly). So, one more point release? (Oh, what a tangled web they weave... )
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

said by Mele20:

The 10 ESR branch is still supported - when Firefox reaches 19.0, ESR 10 goes end-of-life.

Thanks! Now, I vaguely recall I read some time ago (probably in one your excellent posts) that 10 ESR is supported until Fx reaches 19.0.

Is the new ESR version going to install on top of this one I have?

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

3 edits

Gone Fishing to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

[Info] Firefox ESR

Click for full size
Index of /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-esr17
»ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozi ··· a-esr17/

What does the Mozilla Firefox ESR life cycle look like?

»mozorg.cdn.mozilla.net/m ··· view.png
Snapped 2013-02-17 20:33:20

»www.mozilla.org/en-US/fi ··· ons/faq/

Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal
Update: This proposal (including dates and version numbers) has meanwhile been approved, announced and published.
»wiki.mozilla.org/Enterpr ··· Proposal

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [FireFox] Firefox ESR?

said by Mele20:

said by chachazz:

said by Mele20:

Thanks! Now, I vaguely recall I read some time ago (probably in one your excellent posts) that 10 ESR is supported until Fx reaches 19.0.

Is the new ESR version going to install on top of this one I have?

You're welcome, Mele. Good memory!
quote:
an update to the next version will be offered through the application update service
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Duh. I wasn't thinking too well when you said "an update to the next version will be offered through the application update service" as that answers my question which I didn't need to ask. I'm glad it will update in that manner.
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

Fx 17.0.3 ESR is being released today as Fx 19.0 is released today. I guess when I get back later today and I click on "check for updates" it will be offered.

chachazz
Premium Member

1 edit

chachazz

Premium Member

Interested in your update experience. Please let us know how it goes.

Note new PDF Viewer in Options>Applications.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I have the new version downloaded but not yet installed.

I finally got enrolled in the ESR list serve. Easy using Opera mail. I'm wondering if my problems with enrolling in the past were because I was using my beloved Outlook Express. I have enrolled in many list serves using it over many years time but not in the past few years so maybe it just was too old to work right.

I am sort of puzzled by the comment by Bhavana Bajaj in my screenshot. I have auto updating of Fx 10 ESR DISABLED in Options. So, what does he mean about 'FORCED" updating of Fx 10 next week? If the right to refuse updates is no longer allowed well...that would mean my no longer using Fx. The decision to upgrade (even at EOL) is still MINE ALONE to make! I hope he was just speaking rather loosely and meant that those who don't have updating disabled will be forcibly updated.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Maybe referring to the "silent update" kerfuffle?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

Interested in your update experience. Please let us know how it goes.

This was funny. I just installed the latest Java and Oracle made me shut down Fx and SeaMonkey first. I didn't think about the fact that if I shut down Fx to complete the Java install that when I restarted it the new version would install. I was focused on getting Java update installed. So, at the end of the Java install I clicked on a link so I could disable auto updating of Java and that, of course, started Fx since it is my default browser and I saw it installing 17.0.3!!!

It took about 2 seconds (really) with zero problems. That is the advantage of waiting as it checked my extensions and all were fine which might not be the case if I got a new version of Fx the moment it was released.

It kept MOST of my settings in Options but it did put a checkmark by Smooth Scrolling in addition to the checkmark by Auto Scroll which I have used since Mozilla made that available many years ago. I never liked Smooth scrolling and always had that unchecked. Why does Mozilla have both checked now by default?

It also changed some of my security settings ...understandable as I had "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported forgeries" UNchecked and Mozilla doesn't feel that is safe for average users so those were checked and I just unchecked them again.

I see the new entry for PDF and mine says Ask Me although it has the Evince icon. So, I have to try it out as when Mozilla first came out with a beta for PDF reader in the browser and I installed it...on Fx 4...it barely worked and I never installed it on Fx 10 so I am anxious to see how it works.

What happens though when I shut Fx down now and restart? I won't have the Profile Manager right? I forgot where to go to get the new stand alone one....hopefully I bookmarked the page from when we had a discussion about it some time back.

My setting to "never check for updates" of Fx was NOT changed.
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

It's not in Fx 17.0.3 ESR! I thought it was supposed to be?

So I have to install the extension which is an old version (0.7.1)?
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

If all you really want to do is play around with the viewer, then you could also just install Firefox Portable 19.0. That's what I did; ordinarily I would have waited till 19.0.1 (or later).
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

Since Fx 17.0.3 ESR does NOT come with builtin PDF reader, I installed the extension.

It is NO BETTER than when I tried it over ONE YEAR AGO on Fx 4. The text is UNREADABLE. It is a piece of JUNK.

I bet it is not any better builtin to Fx 19. Plus, it is extremely crude with no abilities like a REAL PDF viewer has and takes too much time to open the document.

I'll stick with using Evince PDF reader and I will have all documents downloaded to disk where I want them anyway. Why waste time waiting for the document to open in the browser and then you don't even have the document on disk...you have to waste time AGAIN downloading it to disk. I don't get the point of this reader in Fx even if it did display with readable text.

I tested it from this list:

»etherpad.mozilla.org/TWmZ9tUg5S

Over one year ago, I tested it on Fx 4 on XP Pro. Currently, it is installed on Fx 17.0.3 on Windows 8 Pro new computer. It is just as unreadable on Windows 8 as it was on XP.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

I thought it was a little slow, but everything seemed to render OK--no problems viewing/reading anything. You should probably hold off final judgement until trying it in Fx19 [or later] since it is different (versus using the add-on in Fx17). I never used the extension, so I can't really compare the two. I expect there's quite a bit of room for improvement though.
lookingforth
join:2013-02-25
Louisa, VA

lookingforth to Mele20

to Mele20
Greetings - can you detail exactly where you found the text in the screenshot? A google search for the exact term "Please note ESR 10 is no longer" results in no hits for the exact string.

Thanks!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes, I suppose Google could not find that as it is a quote from an email to Mozilla's Enterprise Mailing List.

»mail.mozilla.org/listinf ··· terprise

Anyone can subscribe if using the ESR version although much of the discussion is not very relevant to individual home users who use ESR version. It's a busy list so be warned.
lookingforth
join:2013-02-25
Louisa, VA

lookingforth

Sorry for the delay - thanks for the reply!