spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scj6771
join:2013-02-17
Binghamton, NY

scj6771

VLAN Setup / SG300 & WRT54G (DD-WRT)

I just purchased a Cisco SG300 managed switch and would like to seperate my network into two VLAN's, one for my lab environment and the other for everything else.

I have the switch in L3 mode and and been reading the admin guide but I'm still at a loss with VLAN configuration.

This is a 10 port switch, so maybe I could start with 5 ports for my lab and 5 ports for the rest?

What role will my router play in all of this? It also has VLAN capability.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by scj6771:

I have the switch in L3 mode and and been reading the admin guide but I'm still at a loss with VLAN configuration.

If you're following this -- »www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· 8-01.pdf, about all you should have to
do is under VLAN Management and the subsections "Creating VLANs" and "Configuring VLAN Interface Settings."
As you said, 5 ports to the regular LAN and 5 ports to your LAN should be a good start.
said by scj6771:

What role will my router play in all of this? It also has VLAN capability.

VLANS are Layer 2 constructs. If you need your home and lab VLANs to talk to each other, you'll
need a Layer 3 device to do that. If your SG300 is already doing this via a SVI (Switched Virtual
Interface) -- fancy way of saying it has eg. 192.168.1.x/24 for the HOME VLAN, and 192.168.2.x/24
for the LAB VLAN configured -- then the WRT doesn't really come into the picture.

Regards
scj6771
join:2013-02-17
Binghamton, NY

scj6771

I have made an attempt by doing the following:

Vlan 1 = IP address subnet of your router and switch (which is created by default)

Create a second vlan such as vlan 10
Make an access port for vlan 10 on the switch
Assign a LAN port on the WRT router to be vlan 10
Run 2 wires, one for the vlan 10 port, another for the vlan 1 port
Assign DHCP to each router port

On the switch navigate
Spanning Tree -> STP status and global settings
Spanning Tree State -> Remove the check box (this globally disables spanning tree)
apply changes.

After doing this I can assign ports to VLAN 10 no problem, but any port I "add" (I'm not really adding since it's the default VLAN) to VLAN 1 gets no IP address? How is VLAN 10 working but no VLAN 1?

Here is a screenshot from my router's VLAN page and one from my SG300 IPv4 page:

HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to scj6771

MVM

to scj6771
Okay, you've really lost me scj6771 See Profile. You're saying you've configured VLAN 10 on BOTH the WRT router AND
the SG300, or ONLY on the SG300? What're you wiring into the WRT port 4 here?

To keep it simple, you should only need a interface in VLAN1 on the WRT and a interface VLAN1 on the SG300 (the
"trunk" port). VLAN assignments should be kept on the SG300.

Regards