share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to shinjuru

Re: Guess which game PBS says caused Lanza to kill people?

said by shinjuru:

So, news of mass killings shouldn't be reported nationally? Should the government step in and regulate what gets reported nationally?

It's a thought that has been expressed so many times before. That reporting on these types of killings only encourages other would be killers to come out and try to out do the other guy.

Hence if it wasn't so overly reported in the media, then maybe there'd be fewer incidents of it.

The government doesn't have to step in, the news media could self censor as could the viewer.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to shinjuru

I agree, Shin. It should get attention. They just need to be careful how they present these theories on why it happened.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to shinjuru

said by shinjuru:

Nice try? I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept of having the news media lessen national attention to stories involving mass killings in an environment like a school facility. I find it absurd that it wouldn't be getting the most attention on any community level; Local, State, or National.

There is no news. We've learned nothing in the wake of this. If the killer is still at large, or we think there might be a string of copy-cat attempts, then yeah... keep reminding folks... but that is not the case here. It is being hyped because of the administration's need for "tighter gun control"... while those who oppose are pushing for "a new look at mental health"... and THIS MSM goes after video games. All the while, we are still making an icon of the person, rather than focusing on how to provide better security.

Your all-or-nothing post about censorship as a response to a call for more responsible reporting is what earned a "nice try" from me. That is what I think was absurd. We don't need to know anything more about Lanza... (i don't even need to know his name)... we need to know what we can do to make schools safer... from those who break the law... that's how we learn from this event.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA

I just wish Horde had paladins.....

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

I just wish horde had deodorant. Just like Worgans and Pandas need flea powder.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Phantasee

I heard he played a horde paladin.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA

afk lunch break.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to Immer

All or nothing? Certainly not my stand. I lean to all, if anything. You want less national attention by the news media and I'm just trying to understand how do you make that happen?
--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -

Mordred

join:2013-01-02
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pandora

I think it is not so much the attention from the facts of the event, as it is the glamorizing of it. The name of person(persons) involved in the alleged crime are plastered all over the news, while reporters try to find any Joe blow that would sit for an interview. With nothing more to add, but how they swung on a swing together in third grade and never saw this coming. Lets face it, Jerry Springer gets ratings, so anytime something terrible happens the news turns into a circus for how ever long their analyst say it is selling commercial time slots. This in my opinion spawns the copy cat to perk up, see the hype then do something worse. The media should have a responsiblty to make sure this person is kept out of the celeberty status. I am not sure if that is even possible any more, but it feels like they are not even trying. But again that is my opinion and from what my Girlfriend tells me... It is wrong.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA

Well, is your gf hot? Do you even lift?

Mordred

join:2013-01-02

Naa, I tricked her into being with me.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA

said by Mordred:

Level 90 Mage I see. gg, Sir. gg

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Mordred

said by Mordred:

You use the spell I made in Oblivion "Voice of Walton"
In oblivion you could haggle on prices depending on how much they liked you.

I made a spell that would for a short time max their like, and another that would stop time, so I'd cast "voice of Walton" and then get the best deal available for buying and selling.
--
»Death Star Petition

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter

said by DarkLogix:

said by Mordred:

You use the spell I made in Oblivion "Voice of Walton"
In oblivion you could haggle on prices depending on how much they liked you.

I made a spell that would for a short time max their like, and another that would stop time, so I'd cast "voice of Walton" and then get the best deal available for buying and selling.

Yea, well, I just used console commands. Grats on wasting your time, wizard.

Rhenai

join:2010-09-07
Elkhorn, NE
reply to DarkLogix

I thought that is how reputation in WoW worked; that as your rep increased, you could get better prices from the vendors
--
“Amor Fati – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.”

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by Rhenai:

I thought that is how reputation in WoW worked; that as your rep increased, you could get better prices from the vendors

Ya but in oblivion you could haggle on the price. and adjust it to get more, pay less but if you guessed to low/high they'd lose like.
--
»Death Star Petition

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to pandora

Believe me when I say PBS, the Hartford Courant, and the rest of the media doesn't have a freakin' clue what is on the computer and console hard drives yet.
Trust me.
They are just trying to get a story before the official report from Federal Law Enforcement comes out.
--
"The level of sacrifice that you give is beyond my comprehension. If the rest of us in the Country showed the level sacrifice that you do on a daily basis, we wouldn't have any of the problems we have." – Comedian Lewis Black speaking to the US troops.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

1 edit
reply to pandora

Novia says that Adam was playing "violent video games" at the time -- World of Warcraft, in particular -- and implies a link between the games and the subsequent massacre.

The one deficiency of the "Frontline" special is that while interview subjects like Novia offer credible anecdotal information, the film lacks the context that could be provided by any one of a number of experts on the probability of a link between the video games and the school shooting. Read more.
It wasn't the newspaper drawing the link. It was the Photo/Techonology Teacher. And the teacher didn't say it was based on World of Warcraft, just that he played that one by name. The article actually calls this citation a deficiency.

The word play of the media constantly has my head spining. They lash out at anything that uses colorful phrases and cite extreme cases to substatiate their arguments. Then they turn right around and use the same descriptive, dare i say redundant, phrases to draw in viewers, "more tonight at 6."

Given the word "Warcraft" is in the title, a ley-person would reasonably expect there to be a certain amount of violence in the game. Today's warcraft certainly does not include axes and magical spells; instead replaced by smart-bombs and machine-guns.
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to pandora

I am surprised that when some news orgs blame gaming that someone like Fox News has never used the term "Slaystation"..... Seems like a fitting front web page newsword for them.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by Kearnstd:

I am surprised that when some news orgs blame gaming that someone like Fox News has never used the term "Slaystation"..... Seems like a fitting front web page newsword for them.

So Fox News hasn't behaved as badly as other news media, and you invent something to blame them for??
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

I would buy a slaystation.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to pandora

Fox is just considered an acceptable target for poking at. I Find it surprising they have been well behaved then, Usually they are the first out the gate to blame video games for all of our evils.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by Kearnstd:

Fox is just considered an acceptable target for poking at. I Find it surprising they have been well behaved then, Usually they are the first out the gate to blame video games for all of our evils.

I guess anything can be poked fun at. Maybe to you there was humor, to me, this entire incident is a tragedy, and most media handling of it has been horrific. Your concern seems to be to try and paste Fox News with other legacy media, and if it were another subject, maybe. But regarding the killing of 26 people followed by a suicide of a mentally disturbed young man, it's tough for me to find humor in it.

Most legacy media have totally failed, and it's ratings as usual (if it bleeds it leads). The World of Warcraft nonsense was yet another demonstration of how poorly this was covered.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.