join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

1 edit

SuperNet

Premium Member

URGENT Furnace stoped working!

Click for full size

Click for full size
So I wake up at 7:30AM (went to bed at 12:00am) and woke up at a house that was 55, normally set to 68...

Here are some pictures/you tube to help figure out what is going on...

After I turned it off and on, it started to work but this is the 2nd time this happened in 1 month...

Please help, Furnace is a bryant and I believe it was installed in 1999.

I don't know if this helps, but after I turned it on and off, the red lights were flashing still, it turned on but it sounded like a belt was bad or something, however after air started going in the vents the sound went awat

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· V9BatPG8

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

Time for you to call your service dude to get it fixed...

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
What was the error code?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by SparkChaser:

What was the error code?

I couldn't figure it out, MY guess is 2 short flashs and 1 long flash, but i posted a youtube video of it... and the error code sticker

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

1 recommendation

alphapointe

MVM

21: Gas valve PF'd. Call a service tech, as you're looking at a new gas valve...

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by alphapointe:

21: Gas valve PF'd. Call a service tech, as you're looking at a new gas valve...

Thanks, are you going off of what I said about the red light flashes your self or my guess?

also, if it is that can i do it my self? How come it started to work after I power cycled it? Thanks

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77

Premium Member

Your code is a 21, indicated by the flashes. This indicates a problem that is more in depth than most DIYers should tackle. It needs to be determined if the valve or the control board is faulty. You can check and ensure all the wiring is connected and not chaffed anywhere, between the valve and the board.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
2 shorts and a long equal code 21 according to your LED Status code sheet you posted.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Gas Heating Lockout = You call for service, its not a DIY, This is the gas valve control ( or the valve itself )

Start playing with this and you could blow up the house ...

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

How come it started to work after I power cycled it? Thanks
Thanks everyone.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

When you power cycled, the alarm was cleared, and the valve decided not to stick that round...

Matter of time at this point...
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Someone gave detailed suggestions for Bryant furnace error code 21 but I will not be comfortable trying the valve un-sticking part.

»www.doityourself.com/for ··· ite.html

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

They are just suggesting to tap the valve which will sometimes free a sticking valve. If it works, it will get you heat for now, but it is bound to stick again, and will need replacement. But those directions for checking the to see if it is the valve or the control are spot on.

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I had a very similar problem with my furnace last year, and it was a defective gas valve. I was not comfortable dealing with that, so I called my furnace guy, he replaced the valve, inspected for cracks / holes in the exchanger (there were none) adjusted the gas / air mix on the burners and cleaned the burners. Furnace works great now. (Well, as well as it has ever worked).
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to SuperNet

to SuperNet
If you cannot get your furnace to restart call your home heating service company and find out if they provide emergency service at no premium cost, many do. Best time to call is during the day although if your furnace will not restart at night they will send a technician out.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

What's the temperature outside and inside (now) ? Since you want to second-guess people because it works (temporarily), don't do anything. Maybe it's fine after all...

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by Hall:

said by SuperNet:

Since you want to second-guess people because it works (temporarily), don't do anything.

He's just asking questions to learn, probably his first house and nobody wants to pop $300 bucks on a furnace if they don't have to.

The gas valve on our furnace died three days after we bought it, thankfully we had one year of home insurance so we only had to pay the $100 deductable. Home ownership is fun.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77

Premium Member

But I wouldn't trade it for renting again.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
I'm all for DYI and learning, but in this case I'd strongly recommend calling someone qualified to come do the work.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Can you see if the Gas valve is a Honeywell one? If so, it is probably a "Smart Valve" one. Well...those are not so smart because a whole lot of them were faulty and would go bad prematurely after a number of years. My Gas Pack furnace had one and it went bad. You could bump it and it would start working but maybe not again on the next cycle. Of course the unit was well outside of any warranty so I had to pony up several hundred bucks for a new valve. Was only charged .5 hour of service call because I diagnosed the problem for them and all the HVAC guy had to do was change it. My unit is from 95 and is still going. It does have electronic ignition instead of pilot light. Google "Smart Valve" and you will see what I am talking about.

Also make sure the fan for the gas exhaust is working. The moisture from the burning gas can cause these to rust or fail. This happened to my neighbor after only 6 years. Fan rusted and broke apart causing unit to overheat in the heat exchanger because the gas was not getting pulled though.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your input...

I have a guy coming out to take a look at it...

My furnace is from 1999, do you think I should keep putting $ into it or replace the gas value only that will cost $400.00

My AC is also about 19 years old, so i think i should maybe replace that too?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Always cheaper to repair, your looking at 20X the cost to replace, you do the math

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by guppy_fish:

Always cheaper to repair, your looking at 20X the cost to replace, you do the math

I agree, but if I upgrade the furnace to 95% and a new AC unit, it could save me $ in the long run?

I just HATE putting $ into things that are old and will need to keep investing $.

I know nothing about heating or air, so that is why I would like some input on to fix or replace.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to SuperNet

to SuperNet
It depends on a lot of things. Are there state/utility/federal rebates to reduce the cost? How efficient is your furnace now and how much would a new furnace save? Normally a new furnace is better but it might also take 6-8 years before it starts saving you money. Most have a life of around 15-20 years.

Personally with it being 19 years old I might repair it now but start saving for a new one. Next time it breaks down get a new one.

I'm going to replace our furnace this year I think. They finally installed gas so we can hook up this Summer. Our furnace is only 9 years old but gas will save us around $2,000 a year. We'll turn a profit after 4-5 years. With the average life of 15-20 that means we'll be saving $20,000-30,000 over its' life.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

I just HATE putting $ into things that are old and will need to keep investing $.

And you bought a house?

Houses will always need maintenance, upkeep and repair, buying the house is the cheapest part of the deal

Your furnace just need a very minor repair, probably get another few years and the another part for 400 bucks .. all to be expected.

The difference in gas costs would take a decade to recover just based on efficiency alone.

Take your house value, take 3% of that and that's what you should expect for annual average cost for maintenance. Some years small, the years you replace, roof, windows, mechanicals allot more
guppy_fish

guppy_fish to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
gateway timeout caused duplicate post

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to SuperNet

Mod

to SuperNet
My house was built in 1989 and since we've bought it I've had the gas valve replaced and the blower motor. I of course have a different model. I plan on replacing it eventually but not for a while. I clean the AC coils usually in the spring and cover it for winter.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

gas value only that will cost $400.00

Sounds overpriced. I had my gas valve replaced last year by the gas utility. I think it cost $245.

Furnace and A/C are from 1984, so they're now 28 years old.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

But I wouldn't trade it for renting again.

+1
Boricua

Boricua to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

Thanks everyone for your input...

I have a guy coming out to take a look at it...

My furnace is from 1999, do you think I should keep putting $ into it or replace the gas value only that will cost $400.00

My AC is also about 19 years old, so i think i should maybe replace that too?

My house was built in 1991. The furnace works (only had one part replaced which cost very little) and an A/C unit that quit functioning properly about 5 years ago. There are rebates for replacing the A/C and furnace, which I am going to do (both), but I wanted to be able to reduce my (CC) debt before on replacing both units. I am hoping to do so (God willing) next year. Also, keep in mind when replacing these units they are tax deductible. One other thing, as of 2006 A/C units have switched over to a newer type of freon. So the old supplies will soon be running low and the cost to recharge would be prohibitive.