join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to SuperNet9

Re: URGENT Furnace stoped working!

said by SuperNet9:

So, I got another company out.. They said it is the board...
$450.00 to install..

So do I get a new furnace or just the board.. hrmm

Think of the furnace as a car, the older the car the more frequent the breakdowns. And you are burning more fuel now than you did when the car was new. I hate to say but put that $450 towards a new furnace. If you buy that board, then it is going to break down two months from now. And then it is going to be more costly to fix and operate and after spending that money, the furnace dies after spending that money. So you are basically throwing good money after bad.

I had a 1991 GMC Sonoma that I drove from 2003 to 2008. It was getting more and more costly to fix and the time between failures was getting shorter. It was finally totaled when a teen driver sideswiped it. That truck was not going to get another sticker so it was going to be junked anyways.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

Did you get a quote for a new boiler/furnace?

»How does this price quote look for heat/ac
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

said by SuperNet9:

said by PhoenixDown:

Did you get a quote for a new boiler/furnace?

»How does this price quote look for heat/ac

I'd just pay the $450 bucks for the board and call it a day.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to SuperNet9

If it's just a circuit board, and you know which one, couldn't you replace it yourself?

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by mix:

If it's just a circuit board, and you know which one, couldn't you replace it yourself?

He is not a licensed plumber or electrician -- replacing the board himself could lead his insurance company to deny a claim if an incident ever arouse out of the furnace.
--
Add a signature here

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by PhoenixDown:

said by mix:

He is not a licensed plumber or electrician -- replacing the board himself could lead his insurance company to deny a claim if an incident ever arouse out of the furnace.

Like what? It took me about half an hour to wire up a new one on my 1987 furnace and it's been fine since. You'll know right away if it's not working, this isn't like running gas lines through PVC water pipe that can cause a fire down the line.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

Well, its in the realm of possibility, you mis-wire and the gas value gets stuck open, so I would concur, best this be one repair for someone with the knowledge to do it without error.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SuperNet9

How do you miswire something that's you removed an installed and working one so you know exactly how to do the work the same? You take a few pictures before you start then remove the old board & install the new board. You have pictures to reference if you need help to get it back the same. It's not rocket science!
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Draiman:

It's not rocket science!

It could become rocket science if the furnace blows up

In theory replacing a control board isn't all that difficult. There are however plenty of things that can go wrong (for example):
- the replacement part is a revised version of the board (perhaps with connectors in different locations)
- the replacement board requires on-site programming before it can be used (generic control board for many furnace models)
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by leibold:

said by Draiman:

It's not rocket science!

It could become rocket science if the furnace blows up
- the replacement board requires on-site programming before it can be used (generic control board for many furnace models)

That's what I bought, a universal board. It only took reading the instructions and connecting the wires (gas valve, flame detector, pilot valve, etc.) to the right terminals and it's been fine ever since.

I guess I make an assumption of a certain minimal amount of competence on the part of anyone attempting a repair, whether it's a gas appliance, electrical work or even cutting the lawn.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

said by garys_2k:

I guess I make an assumption of a certain minimal amount of competence on the part of anyone attempting a repair, whether it's a gas appliance, electrical work or even cutting the lawn.

I've had to clean up after a garbage bag of dog poop went under the mower. It gives new meaning to shit hit the fan. The plastic bag was cut into 100s of poop smeared pieces each the size of dog kibble. Some was also stuck to the bottom of the mower.