spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

What DOCSIS 3 wireless gateway will Comcast provide?

I have a TG862 but want to swap it out so I can use a security DNS servers (TG862 has a third party DNS bug - see: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.···=&sc=600 )

A phone representative said there is no list of other devices that I can get. She said I would either have to schedule a home technician or visit a service center to see what other device I could get.

Is there another DOCSIS 3.0 wireless gateway, that has at least 4 Ethernet ports, besides the TG862, that Comcast will provide?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

The Comcast's DNS is DNSSEC compliant so that's what you need security wise, the bug is with third party public DNS most of which is not DNSSEC. You can use a standard D3 modem and your own router and get full control of the router settings or you can set each computer to your DNS provider of choice and ignore the the DHCP assigned DNS.

The exact model of equipment provided varies by area and availability.
I think you are aware of this list of all the possible D3 equipment comcast MAY use.
If you post in the comcast direct forum, or follow the link on the page you provided, they will send SOME (non specific model) replacement without the bug.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX

Thanks.

Are all the Comcast provided gateways good? My TG862 has been solid (no problems at all other than no DNS control.) I would hate to trade-off reliability for DNS setting.

Any model to try to get? Any model to definitely not get if they offer it?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

My own feeling is the gateways like any 'all-in-one' product are a compromise and are unlikely to be the very best modem combined with the very best router. even worse you don't have full control or access to the connection between them. so I will ALWAYS choose a separate modem, router, and eMTA (for voice) if needed.
I really can't recommend one gateway over another.

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
reply to nine9s2

My friend has to buy a wireless access point because the Comcast gateway sucked for wireless. So Id go with tshirt's suggestion and ask for/buy a modem and get your self a good router.
--
Mr. Donut

nine9s2

Richmond, TX

My TG862 has been rock solid - no problems at all, never been down or lost connection besides updates and normal downtime - I have never experienced it down - just going by logs. Wireless is a little weak but I only have one wireless device and it gets reception at furthest point in the home.

If the replacement is just as good but allows 3rd party DNS servers, I would like it. And I like renting at $7 since this type of equipment seems to have routine problems so probably cheaper than spending $160 on a modem and router and have to replace them within two years because of problems.

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..

Yes, but wireless N standard is it? My router does 300Mbps on 2.4 Ghz and 450Mbps on 5Ghz. Your most likely not going to see that on a gateway device from Comcast. Plus my sisters Modem she bought has been going strong for over 3 years. The only reason we rent a modem is we have digital voice, if we didn't I would buy a modem in a heart beat because Comcast gets paid plenty from us. Plus I dont trust Comcast, they probably have some kind of back door in to the device. Sorry to say I like to have full control and security of my home network.
--
Mr. Donut

ats

join:2008-11-14
Vallejo, CA
kudos:1
reply to nine9s2

said by nine9s2:

Is there another DOCSIS 3.0 wireless gateway, that has at least 4 Ethernet ports, besides the TG862, that Comcast will provide?

complete list here : »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

nine9s2

Richmond, TX

said by ats:

complete list here : »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Thanks. Are those only approved or Comcast actually rents all of those?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

those are all tested and approved.
It is likely (since the manufacturer has to pay for testing) that Comcast has at least some of each kind somewhere in the country (or still on the test rack) but they won't search the nation just to find the exact one you want, only find a model not effected by that (particular) bug.
If you want a specific model (of those listed) you will have to buy it (after check if you can use a specific or any customer owned eMTA/gateway in your area (not always allowed everywhere)