spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

How much disk space does a linux partition generally need?

And how do I efficiently use multiple drives with linux? Steams on linux and all now so I'm gonna install it on my gaming pc, but I need to put linux on it first and I generally dont partition drives for linux this'll be the only linux install in my house that is a dual boot. I ahve a 500GB and 2TB drive. I have windows on the 500GB and want to put linux on it also, would like 60GB be enough of a partition? I currently have my windows steam games on my 2TB secondary drive, I would like to put my linux ones on it too but I have not used multiple drives like this with linux before so I don't know how to do that. Just put the steam .deb downloader on the second drive and rub it from there, like with windows, or is there something different I have to do?

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I am using 7.5G on my root file system - and I have installed way more than most people do.

I am using just 1G on my home partition.

I have 10G assigned to swap, but I use almost none of that. And I have 100M for a separate "/boot" partition - I need a separate "/boot" because I encrypt the root file system.

What you need will depend on what you are trying to do.

I seem to recall that a default install of opensuse on a large disk will allocate around 20G to the root partition, perhaps 5G for swap (but I'm guessing there), and the rest for "/home".

The large "/home" is because that's where people put their own stuff, and it's hard to guess.

In short, 60G should be plenty for what you plan to do with linux. But if you later find your use of linux growing, you might want to change.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 RC1; firefox 18.0.2

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Ah, thank you good sir.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
60GB would allow you to install every package available in the Fedora repos.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to me1212
I presume you are installing Ubuntu? If so 4 gigs would easily fit the base operating system with plenty of room.
In real life, how much you need depends on what you want to do. If you are going to install Steam then you will need at least as much as the size of the games you purchase, and nobody here has any way of guessing what that would be.
You do have my wondering now where Steam puts the games you purchase. My bet is that it is somewhere in your home directory. If that is the case you could carve a partition our of your 2T drive and put your directory there.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Linux mint actually, close enough to ubuntu though.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Maxo
said by Maxo:

You do have my wondering now where Steam puts the games you purchase. My bet is that it is somewhere in your home directory.

You are correct, and right where you would expect to find them.

~/.steam
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
I'm also in the 7GB ballpark.. Generally, I like to leave 50GB for / because I like overkill and space is cheap, 50GB for swap (1.5x the RAM and I like to hibernate my desktops), the rest is home. Currently, I got close to 200GB in my home partition, including a bunch of media and virtual machines (just the virtual machines are taking up like 100GB).
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to rexbinary
said by rexbinary:

said by Maxo:

You do have my wondering now where Steam puts the games you purchase. My bet is that it is somewhere in your home directory.

You are correct, and right where you would expect to find them.

~/.steam

Actually I would have hoped for something like /usr/share/steam or something. I'd hate to have to download and store the same game four times for the four different Linux users on my PC (that all share the same Steam account).

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
That would require root-level permissions to install files there, though I don't disagree.
You could create a group named steam, and make all your users a member of that group. Then create /usr/share/steam and assign the steam group full permissions on that directory. Then move your ~/.steam folder there and create a symlink from ~/.steam to /usr/share/steam as each user.

kontos
xyzzy

West Henrietta, NY
Oy! Every time somebody posts a simple solution like this to a Linux problem, I put another couple of bucks in my Windows Upgrade Fund.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
said by kontos:

Oy! Every time somebody posts a simple solution like this to a Linux problem, I put another couple of bucks in my Windows Upgrade Fund.

I presume on Windows Steam puts the files in Program Files, which requires admin level permissions. If Steam puts the files instead the user's directory, then I believe you could hack together the same solution on Windows 7 and above since, in my understanding, they now have symlinks too.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kontos
said by kontos:

Actually I would have hoped for something like /usr/share/steam or something. I'd hate to have to download and store the same game four times for the four different Linux users on my PC (that all share the same Steam account).

Ah. Yes since you are not supposed to share your Steam account, I'm sure Valve didn't look for any solutions for that.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to me1212
You can install steam games on different drives/folders from the initial steam install regardless of OS you are using.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to kontos
said by kontos:

I'd hate to have to download and store the same game four times for the four different Linux users on my PC (that all share the same Steam account).

Why not create a linux account "steam" and share the password for that account with the four people who share the same steam account?
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 RC1; firefox 18.0.2

kontos
xyzzy

West Henrietta, NY
reply to rexbinary
said by rexbinary:

Ah. Yes since you are not supposed to share your Steam account, I'm sure Valve didn't look for any solutions for that.

My kids are under 13, it's not like they're able to get their own Steam accounts even if I would let them.

Plus, there is no way in hell I'm going to pay for four copies of a game that is going to be installed on the same computer.

Plus, plus... Two of those Linux accounts are mine.. I have a personal account, and a 'work' one.

plus, plus, plus... It's not like downloading multiple copies of the game to you homedir doesn't work..

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
Plano, TX
I'm not judging

I think nwickert's solution sounds pretty good.