uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Medical alarm systems

You use an RJ31x with a POTS line, she has a cable VOIP.
The alarm would tie into the cable system or use it's own wireless cell.

Most alarm systems can be wired with a point for Medical Button emergency. As long as the monitoring company handles that, which if they do fire and others I see no reasong they can't.

The point being, in most cases you do not need what we called 'the voice of God' feature, just a properly defined point.

Shop for cost of service, cost of device, reputation, and is the panel common on the market or only 1 company specific?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Jtmo:

You use an RJ31x with a POTS line, she has a cable VOIP.

I have a burglar alarm that uses a phone line at my residence and I have Comcast Digital Voice for phone. The RJ31X is wired between the modem and the house phones. My phone modem is installed in the basement where the telco NID is so I just wired a phone cord the plugs into the modem and goes to the RJ31X and to the house phones from there. Grandma has a similar setup except it is tied into a jack so I scotch locked the VoIP backfeed cord into an unused pair from the jack out to the NID, where it feeds the house phones in case an alarm or medical monitoring system is installed. That way I can just tie in an RJ31X jack at the NID and separate the house phones from the dial tone.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.