kudos:3
reply to Webslingerac

Re: Teksavvy's speedtest server results often aren't reliable

Why?

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada

1 edit

The premise is that Teksavvy's Toronto speedtest server is choking during peak times. Typically, lower pings (and more reliable results) are based on server distance. And you aren't going to be stressing much of anything with lower download speed limits. If Teksavvy's server taps out at 24 Mbps during peak times, and you have a 16 Mb/s service, whopdeedo if you get between 16 Mb/s and 24 Mb/s from the speedtest results (for example).

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Webslingerac

ALL TekSavvy's Ontario cable customers are handed off through Rogers and Cogeco through TSIs aggregating routers in Toronto at 151 Front and then to routers to the selected route to the destination.

Some routers are "invisible" so we don't see those hops but Nexicom's and TekSavvy's tracert servers both appear to be at 151 Front in Toronto ... the very same place TekSavvy's Ontario cable customers arrive at!

So slightly different routing around the building and hey presto. So the differences between TekSavvy and Nexicom's speedtest results therefore can only be one of a very few things ...

1) the TekSavvy server is slower at queuing up the packets to send down the line either because it's not got enough oomph or other configuration issue

2) or the TekSavvy server is overloaded doing its job

3) because the links / internal routing in the 151 building are slower to TekSavvy's speedtest server than they are to Nexicom's

It doesn't matter where you are in the province ... that's the route.

I'm not sure of the routing from Bell.

(In doing some research I did note that it seems that inbound packets say to a TSI customer in Ottawa leave TekSavvy's aggregating router and then go to Rogers on Bloor Phub! Go figure almst as if they are aggregated now for the upstream!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Webslingerac

said by Webslingerac:

If you get bad results from Teksavvy, try the St. Catharines' speedtest server for comparison.

Considering that Start peers with Torix at 151 Front, and the Nexicom and Beanfield servers are also located at Torix, and that NRBN's server (that's the "St. Catharines" one you're talking about) is located on the other side of Lake Ontario (I want to say either 80 King or 15 Church) it makes far more sense for me to use one of the Toronto servers that are on-net with Start than it is for me to use on St. Cats even though I'm in Fort Erie.

This obviously isn't node congestion, I never said it was. Regardless of the result with Teksavvy's own server, midnight is peak time for Internet usage, though it begins to drop off after that time. You can actually see just how much traffic goes on at Midnight here »www.torix.ca/stats.php.

Furthermore, I think we all know what time zone we're all in.

Webslingerac

canada

3 edits

said by Gone:

Considering that Start peers with Torix at 151 Front, and the Nexicom and Beanfield servers are also located at Torix, and that NRBN's server (that's the "St. Catharines" one you're talking about) is located on the other side of Lake Ontario (I want to say either 80 King or 15 Church)

Yeah, I know.

quote:
it makes far more sense for me to use one of the Toronto servers that are on-net with Start
I suggest the Toronto speedtest servers, in general, are being hit harder than the one in St. Catharines during the times I'm testing (and at midnight on Sundays I get great results from Teksavvy's speedtest server, so midnight speedtest results don't impress me unless a Teksavvy rep is going step in and tell us that at midnight on Sunday Teksavvy's speedtest server was being hit harder than it was at 9 p.m.).

quote:
This obviously isn't node congestion, I never said it was.
You said that midnight constitutes "primetime" and that "anyone who's ever suffered node congestion knows this all too well".

But I'm not talking about peak times with respect to general internet usage in this thread. I'm referring specifically to times when I suspect speedtest servers (and possibly, routing to them, to a lesser extent) in Toronto are being maxed out.

quote:
Regardless of the result with Teksavvy's own server
No, that's the whole point. This has everything to do with Teksavvy's server (sbrook's points #1 and #2, I suspect).

quote:
midnight is peak time for Internet usage
I suggest midnight is not peak time to be running speedtests on Teksavvy's Toronto server. I could be wrong, but if I am, why are my results (and that of other Teksavvy users I know) typically great at midnight?

quote:
Furthermore, I think we all know what time zone we're all in.
Well, that's reassuring, I guess.

Webslingerac

canada

2 edits
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook :
So the differences between TekSavvy and Nexicom's speedtest results therefore can only be one of a very few things ...
Well, except sometimes I get bad results from Nexicom as well at the same time as I do from Teksavvy.

quote:
Yes, but there are more hops and routers along the path, the further away one is situated.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Webslingerac

said by Webslingerac:

The Toronto speedtest servers, in general, are being hit harder than the one in St. Catharine's during the times I'm testing (and at midnight on Sundays I get great results from Teksavvy's speedtest server, so midnight speedtest results don't impress me unless a Teksavvy rep is going step in and tell us that at midnight on Sunday Teksavvy's speedtest server was being hit harder than it was at 9 p.m.).

Well, aside from the fact that neither Beanfield nor Nexicom have demonstrated any sort of slowdowns due to capacity, if you use the NRBN server you're throwing a whole wrench into the equation because now you're also limited by the speed of the links (and routers, since it's going to go through Hamilton) to get to NRBN, rather than to Nexicom's or Beanfield's edge router at 151 Front.

said by Webslingerac:

I'm not talking about peak times with respect to general internet usage in this thread. I'm referring specifically to times when I suspect speedtest servers (and possibly, routing to them, I guess) in Toronto are being maxed out.

... well, you sort of did when you said Midnight wasn't peak times. It still is, it's just right at the edge. It then drops off until it peaks again at noon. The heaviest traffic is between 8PM and 10:30PM, but it's still comparatively heavy at even midnight.

said by Webslingerac:

I suggest midnight is not peak time to be running speedtests on Teksavvy's Toronto server. I could be wrong, but if I am, why are my results typically great at midnight?

Well, it could be any number of things. Either way, Marc and his people are smart. They'll figure it out.

said by Webslingerac:

Well, that's reassuring, I guess.

What's less reassuring is that someone doesn't know that Fort Erie, ON is in Eastern Time.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Webslingerac

said by Webslingerac:

Well, except sometimes I get bad results from Nexicom as well at the same time as I do from Teksavvy.

If that's the case, you might have more serious issues on your hand than just a congested Teksavvy server.

Webslingerac

canada

1 edit

said by Gone:

said by Webslingerac:

If that's the case, you might have more serious issues on your hand than just a congested Teksavvy server.

And at the same time get fantastic results from St. Catharines', despite being further away

Webslingerac

canada

2 edits
reply to Gone

said by Gone :
Well, aside from the fact that neither Beanfield nor Nexicom have demonstrated any sort of slowdowns due to capacity
Alright, what would explain faster results at 9:30 p.m. EST from GTA users using other speedtest servers than from ones located in Toronto?

quote:
well, you sort of did when you said Midnight wasn't peak times
Are you telling me speedtest servers in Toronto are dealing with more traffic at midnight EST than they are at 9 p.m. EST?

quote:
What's less reassuring is that someone doesn't know that Fort Erie, ON is in Eastern Time.

Who might that be?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Webslingerac

It does not necessarily mean with your specific link. It could be an issue at Torix. What happens if you run on Beanfield?

Also, there's no apostrophe in St. Catharines.

Webslingerac

canada

2 edits

said by Gone :
It does not necessarily mean with your specific link. It could be an issue at Torix. What happens if you run on Beanfield?
I sometimes get poor results from all three and get better results from servers outside of Toronto.

quote:

(Yes, granted.)
But there is when I'm referring to St. Catharines' speedtest server (I misplaced the apostrophe due to quick typing, and if you want me to start grammar checking your posts, you're in for a nightmare; trust me).

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

The reason I pointed it out is because people are notorious for misspelling St. Catharines, either as St. Catherines, or St. Catharine's, or Ste-Catharines, etc etc. As someone who grew up in the city, it's a pet peeve.

It's worth pointing out that if anyone attempted to act as grammar police for these forum they would find themselves knee-deep in a full time job that they would need to hire staff for.

Webslingerac

canada

1 edit

said by Gone:

The reason I pointed it out is because people are notorious for misspelling St. Catharines, either as St. Catherines, or St. Catharine's, or Ste-Catharines, etc etc. As someone who grew up in the city, it's a pet peeve.

Fair enough

My apologies

Bhruic

join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Webslingerac

said by Webslingerac:

quote:

(Yes, granted.)
But there is when I'm referring to St. Catharines' speedtest server (I misplaced the apostrophe due to quick typing, and if you want me to start grammar checking your posts, you're in for a nightmare; trust me).

You're right, there is, but it'd be St. Catharines's speedtest server. :P (you only do an "s'" if the preceding is plural).

Webslingerac

canada

4 edits

Are we really going to do this on a tech board? My grammar absolutely sucks on forums.

said by Bhruic :
You're right, there is
You may not join independent clauses with a comma; use a semicolon.

quote:
but it'd be St. Catharines's speedtest server. :P (you only do an "s'" if the preceding is plural).

from »oxforddictionaries.com/words/apostrophe

"Note that there are some exceptions to this rule, especially in names of places or organizations, for example:

St Thomas’ Hospital"

from »grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/···ives.htm

"Some writers will say that the -s after Charles' is not necessary and that adding only the apostrophe (Charles' car) will suffice to show possession. Consistency is the key here: if you choose not to add the -s after a noun that already ends in s, do so consistently throughout your text."

Now, can we move past this, please?

Bhruic

join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Webslingerac:

Are we really going to do this on a tech board? My grammar absolutely sucks on forums.

Well, I originally figured even on a "tech board", someone would realize that a :P emoticon indicates humour. Sorry to be wrong on that front.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Bhruic:

Well, I originally figured even on a "tech board", someone would realize that a :P emoticon indicates humour. Sorry to be wrong on that front.

Jokes are only valid before 9:15PM EST.

Webslingerac

canada
reply to Bhruic

said by Bhruic :
Well, I originally figured even on a "tech board", someone would realize that a :P emoticon indicates humour.
I thought you were sticking your tongue out and insinuating that I'm a moron. Hey, I'm the first to admit that I'm a moron.

quote:
Sorry to be wrong on that front.

Well, you were also wrong when you were attempting to correct my writing, so the humour was lost on me. If you were genuinely attempting to teach me something (without insinuating that I'm a dumbass), I thank you for the effort.

Webslingerac

canada

4 edits

Teksavvy

Beanfield

Nexicom

I'm on the McNicoll POI.

Someone care to try to explain these results?

After midnight, Teksavvy speedtest server results are typically much better for me (which is why I feel testing at midnight or after doesn't prove much).

bitchtorn

join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON

1 edit
reply to Webslingerac

Webslingerac

canada

1 edit
reply to Webslingerac

said by Webslingerac:

Someone care to try to explain these results?

I also just started downloading a 7GB game on Steam. I'm getting a 3.3 MB/s download rate, which is decent for 28/1 cable service (the best I should be able to do at a sustained rate is 3.5 MB/s).

The point being that I'm a little skeptical of these Toronto speedtest results I just posted (including the results from Teksavvy's server).

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Webslingerac

said by Webslingerac:

said by sbrook :
So the differences between TekSavvy and Nexicom's speedtest results therefore can only be one of a very few things ...

But we were talking originally how TekSavvy's server was giving a poorer result than Nexicom. You're talking something different and that is probably congestion ANYWHERE enroute between you and 151 Front.
said by Webslingerac:

quote:
Yes, but there are more hops and routers along the path, the further away one is situated.

Irrelevent since anywhere you connect to will be along that same path. Say you live in Ottawa and want to go to www.gc.ca ... your packets will go from Ottawa to Toronto and then back to Ottawa. You want to go to nexicom, you go Ottawa to Toronto TSI to Nexicom. You want to go to TSI Speedtest, you go same route Ottawa to Toronto TSI to TSI speedtest.

The point being made is that the only difference when comparing any speedtest is the difference between Toronto TSI to the speedtest site wherever located. And generally as long as it has adequate capacity and is on a good pipe, the closer to Toronto TSI the better.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Bhruic

[off topic]Bhuric, no, it's not a straight forward rule of apostrophe s if plural. This is a case of "if it makes the result awkard" ... James's (sounds like jameses) is accepted because James's isn't clumsy. Catharines's IS clumsy, so no s after the apostrophe!

It's one of the many rules of the English language where any rule imposed is so bad that nobody obeyed it, so the rule became "what isn't clumsy"

Of course now for recent generations, the apostrophe simply means "look out, here comes an s at the end of the word"!!!
[/off topic]

Webslingerac

canada

4 edits
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook :
But we were talking originally how TekSavvy's server was giving a poorer result than Nexicom.
And the server in St. Catherines

During very specific hours, yes

But yeah, right

quote:
You're talking something different and that is probably congestion ANYWHERE enroute between you and 151 Front.
That's what I thought too, but I'm not positive. I've been pinging different hops, running traceroutes, downloading files from different locations, etc., and I can't pinpoint where this is happening.

Regardless, I don't feel the answer can be purely congestion related given the proximity of Toronto servers and the results from my first post.

quote:
Irrelevent
no--for the reason you stated at the very end (below)

quote:
since anywhere you connect to will be along that same path.
Yes, I know that.

quote:
And generally as long as it has adequate capacity and is on a good pipe, the closer to Toronto TSI the better.

Yes. The point I'm making is that someone testing from Vancouver (to the Toronto Teksavvy server), for example, may not get a result that accurately reflects the service he or she is receiving. Furthermore (and more importantly), along that path, there's far more variables with respect to potential issues (faulty routers, outside of the GTA, dropping packets for a week and suddenly having those routers replaced the next week, being one of several examples). To suggest (I'm not saying you are) that those variables are going to remain constant along a longer path than a more direct route is illogical (I would expect greater inconsistency over time the longer the route to the test server). Consequently, repeatedly testing for issues with the Toronto Teksavvy server from outside the GTA does not seem as useful as running repeated tests from within the GTA. We may have to agree to disagree on this point.

Webslingerac

canada

4 edits

It's after a little after midnight (just to indicate why I feel testing around midnight probably isn't useful to show potential issues with respect to Toronto speedtest servers; that is, try around 9:15 p.m. instead).

Teksavvy Toronto server

Nexicom

Beanfield

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Your own test is still showing degradation even at midnight compared to two of the others.

I'm pulling better-than-a-full 31/2 on all four right now, though.

Webslingerac

canada

1 edit

said by Gone :
Your own test is still showing degradation even at midnight compared to two of the others.

The results from all 4 servers are over 36 due to D3 speedboost (and my service is 28/1). Differences over 36 (on 28/1) are fairly negligible, I would think, no?

Anyway, I don't think people will whine and complain about a 36 Mbps result from 28/1 cable service. But they may point to a Teksavvy speedtest server result of 20 or lower and start complaining solely based on that test. And more importantly the first post in this thread, in particular, does point to a potential issue with the Teksavvy speedtest server.

Anyway, I guess people are looking into it.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Ahh, speedboost. Gotcha.

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON
reply to Webslingerac

I don't think I've ever had any issues with TekSavvy's speed test server in Toronto.
--
Formerly known as section32