CajunWon

BSOD w/dump file, at first boot every day

This is a new build(all older parts).
Intel Dual 3.0Ghz E8400
4GB PC2-5300 P45 DDR666
Radeon 4830 500MByte video
80GByte WDC Sata 2.0
Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Every day, just following the Windows logo hear a click/black screen followed by the BlueScreen. Some times this occurs several times, but seems to work without BSOD afterwards.

RAM Test: Have run MemTest86+
Drive Test: WDDataLifeGuard and SMART test (Good/Pass)
Updated Drivers for Video Card
Have not checked Motherboard BIOS (don't know how to check) Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

(attached BSOD View)

TIA

eagle92
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
La Habra, CA

eagle92

Premium Member

Link To BIOS »www.gigabyte.com/product ··· =3013#ov

CajunWon
join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

CajunWon

Thx, I know where to get BIOS for flashing, but is this likely the issue?
This is 1st Gigabyte product: spoiled with the ATI/MSI driver detection tools
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to CajunWon

Premium Member

to CajunWon
Do you have another disk drive in your system? Where is the Pagefile currently located?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

dave to CajunWon

Premium Member

to CajunWon
This means that the CPU took a page fault when referencing an address that was, by definition, supposed to be resident.

This could be buggy software (crap instructions), bad memory (the instructions getting executed are not as stored, or the page tables are corrupt), or bad disk (the instructions are getting mangled on their way into memory).

»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· 85).aspx

The fact that it happens "first time only" suggests (to me at least ) that it's a power-on reset problem: maybe something's not ready soon enough, like maybe the first read of the disk is not too reliable. But that's an unscientific view from a software guy, so take it for what it's worth.

CajunWon
Cary, NC

CajunWon

Only one drive, C, the PageFile is 4GB 1fragment Fixed size.

I loaded Win 7 Ult from same install disk as other PC (key different), even tried a completely separate Win install disk, with same issue.

Goes through POST and crashes after the Win logo disappears and just prior to seeing the Desktop.

Not 1st time only, sometimes 2 or 3 BSOD crashes
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to CajunWon

Premium Member

to CajunWon
And do you always get the "click" sound you mentioned? Could it be the disk drive? I'm guessing no spare drive laying around you could try?

If you think it could be the disk drive making the click sound, you could "ping" koitsu See Profile and see if he can help diagnose the problem, or at least rule out the drive as the problem.

CajunWon
Cary, NC

CajunWon

Hear the same click sound as the final sound from a normal shutdown routine of most desktops, just when the drive/fans spin down.