·Coqui/PRTC

Date this vintage Parker vise

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Does this
Click for full size
I have a vintage Parker No.954 vise sitting in my garage. It belonged to my grandfather and later to my father and now it's mine. I would like to know the age of this thing just for fun since I am not planning to sell it but I will pass it to one of my brothers. It is in fairly good condition. Here are some pictures.

The younger sibling seen in the background is a Craftsman 506-51801 from around 1975 and I just cleaned and painted it.

Edit: Sorry, the caption for the fourth picture got cut off. It said Does this "39" mean 1939??

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Thanks for the links. I had seen the second link before but the other one makes for interesting reading in that forum. At least now I know the 39 is not a date stamp.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to printscreen
I'd say 1940's, as Parker went to the cylinder design at the hub in the mid 30's or so.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to printscreen

So probably delved to a shop 1940 spring
Not but 18 monthes before the war

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to printscreen
tomorrow I will try to date mine.

1960 im guessing.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to printscreen
said by printscreen:

... belonged to my grandfather and later to my father and now it's mine. I would like to know the age of this thing just for fun ...

You have the model 954 and that mysterious 39 marking - maybe that will narrow it down to a particular decade.

Ask your living uncles/aunts if they remember your grandpa using that vise at a particular age. There could also be some old photos around (with that vise in the background) where you can guess some relative's age.

P.S. I used both methods with different antique objects.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
There is only one living relative (one uncle) that could possibly know but he is ill and I don't feel like going ask him things like this. Both my grandfather and my father passed away more than 10 years ago. My older brothers and cousins will know just the same as I know since by the time we all grew up this vise was already at my grandfather's garage for many years.

Lets put its date in 1940 (which seems to be reasonable). That means that my grandfather could have purchased it brand new (he was 40 at the time). But I think it is more likely that he got it second hand from someone else's shop at a later time like 50s or 60s and was in his garage from that time until late 90s when I think my father brought it home and put it in what is now my garage (this is the house where I grew up but I bought it from my brothers after both our parents passed away).

I removed it from the bench a few months ago in order to be able to move the bench due to a renovation I just did to the garage. The smaller vise seen in one of the pictures was stored in a cabinet since my father brought this Parker vise and I decided to put it back since it is better suited for the occasional DIY project or small repairs around the house that I sometimes tackle. I don't do carpentry or auto mechanics or anything like that but want to keep a nicely organized and comfortable work space for those times I do take on things like that.

And by the way, this topic has brought some memory exercise since I just realized that I have in my backyard the steel frame that used to be my grandfather's workbench in his garage where this very same vise was originally installed. This bench was likely brought here by my father when we sold my grandfather's home after he passed away. The wooden top was long ago discarded because it has rotten.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to printscreen
Old stuff has a lot of value.

Mostly to the beholder.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to printscreen
I doubt my daughter will like my vice.

Helped me fix many a things.

And it was my dads.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
said by mityfowl:

I doubt my daughter will like my vice.

Vices need to be developed individually to be appreciated.

--
February is National Cherry Month