uniqs

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

Telus Blocks Ports????

Does Telus block ports, for example 80, 443, etc?
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3

See here: »bit.ly/WQGw0j

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

I was looking at some of those but given some of those are old posts etc, I was hoping that Telus had since decided to join this century, but I guess not.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Link Logger

to Link Logger
Actually, most of the ports they do block for residential accounts should be blocked. There's no need for them to use to be used for residential. You want them opened, get a biz account with a static.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

Or TekSavvy

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to rustydusty

MVM

to rustydusty
Actually I just wanted to login to my Windows Home Server so I could check my email, had no problem doing that with Shaw. All my business servers are hosted elsewhere as I agree residential networks should be for 'people' and not businesses.
ruiner3
Canada

ruiner3 to Link Logger

to Link Logger
Then you'll either have to change the ports, redirect them or setup a VPN on your server.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

to Link Logger
Not sure what WHS needs an smtp, but you could easily just use smtp.telus.net and use port 25. Don't need to use your own mail server to send notifications or basic emails. No auth is needed either.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

Windows Home Server is like a portal to my home network, so I log into WHS and from there I have hop onto any system in my home network. It has since been replaced with Windows Business Essentials Server, but I don't have that hooked up yet.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

to Link Logger
3389 and remote desktop services. I believe thats in whs. I run an entire AD with a proper terminal services license which works beautiful.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

You can get away with just port 3389, but I was wanting the full meal deal I had before with Shaw with my Home Server.

I'm thinking its time to move to Business Essentials 2012 as my Windows Home Server has been running 7x24 for the last 5 coming up on 6 years without even a hiccup, but I'm worried the Hard Drives might let go at some point as they are pretty full and I've max'ed out the chassis.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

to Link Logger
Shaw and Telus block the same standard ports. When you refer to "full meal deal" what exactly are you specifying? I'm on Shaw biz with two static's and can do anything I please, including mail. Even on a residential you should be able to do anything for a 'home server'

Home server is the best solution for a home, unless you want to switch to a SBS, which isn't cheap. Nice to have everything all on one machine, however virtualization is a beautiful thing. VMware and Microsoft provide free software to do this. Your guest machines will cost, though.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

I was able to run WHS just fine on Shaw, but apparently Telus blocks ports, so no WHS for me on Telus.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

to Link Logger
What services are being blocked? Unless you provide some more information no one can help you. The same ports are blocked on both, on residential. So it's most likely a config issue more than a blocked port issue.
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2

i don't think shaw blocks 80,443 ..etc. I used to run my webserver on my residential shaw connection for years without issues (i use their cable service since the Rogers@home era...). I had email server on it for a few years as well and they worked fine. Unless shaw has started blocking ports in the last 3 years when I was with telus.
xeonic
Premium Member
join:2011-09-03

xeonic to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Telus residential blocks inbound 80/443, Shaw residential does not.
ruiner3
Canada

ruiner3 to Link Logger

to Link Logger
I don't know why he is saying that, he was just involved in a discussion on this that found Shaw still only blocks port 25 outgoing.

Remember, Rusty?
»Shaw Blocking ports now?

anonymousee
@wcb.bc.ca

anonymousee

Anon

I find it hard to believe Shaw allows residential customers to run web servers on 80/443. Can anyone confirm this?

I was a Shaw customer for many years until 2009. I'm quite certain those common server ports were always blocked for Shaw high speed residential. (and smtp 25/ ftp 21)
Expand your moderator at work
annoyingrob
join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB

annoyingrob to ruiner3

to ruiner3

Re: Telus Blocks Ports????

said by ruiner3:

I don't know why he is saying that, he was just involved in a discussion on this that found Shaw still only blocks port 25 outgoing.

I have a linux server at my dad's place that emails me daily with logs. It has no problem sending outgoing data on 25 with Shaw.

Telus on the other hand is actively blocking 25 out. I had to route that though my VPN.