how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BND

join:2002-05-21
Gilbert, AZ

[AZ]: UL limited to .420 Mbs

For the last several weeks i have been running JDs( Jack Dinns) auto speed tester every 10 minutes it checks the upload and download speeds/ping ms/jitter ms/ Packet loss.
Running an sb5120 that is about 7 years old.

Consistently, DL speed has been 23-27 Mbs sec...not bad
but UL has never been above.420 Mbs
Figured it might be the modem, went and got a new Cisco Docsis 3( for get the model) recommended by the Cox solutions store.
He said i should be getting between 4and 6 Mbs UL and the modem should fix it.

DL went up, was getting 30+ Mbs consistently, but UL remained virtually the same...it never went about .400Mbs.
Any ideas why this is happening?

in the mean time:
I got a free 30 day try out period for Century link Fiber( that they just installed to within about 400 feet of my home) coming Wednesday. setting up internet and TV to test out for a bit( keeping everything else in tact until i make a decision)

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

do you have a router? if so try bypassing it

Centerton

join:2009-06-13
Bentonville, AR
reply to BND

Sounds like qos is turned on with the router. Might try checking that

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BND

Century link isn't fiber. It's VDSL2. Your speeds still depend on the distance between your house on their node. I would suggest removing your router from the mix and test the speed again. If you replaced a 7 year old modem I can only assume your router is just as old.

chrisf8657

join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ

1 edit

said by nickphx:

Century link isn't fiber. It's VDSL2. Your speeds still depend on the distance between your house on their node. I would suggest removing your router from the mix and test the speed again. If you replaced a 7 year old modem I can only assume your router is just as old.

Nick is correct. Why the hell they ever decided to dupe people with this is beyond me. Once you get your issues resolved you'll pay less with Cox over the long run IIRC - 40Mbps max speed with CLink is like $90+ per month - again, IIRC...haven't checked their prices in a long time (I don't count 6 month "promotional" prices). 50+ Mbps for $67.00/mnth with Cox = better deal. Like I said, just need to fix your issues...

And what they mean is your probably 400ft from the Neighborhood terminal. Still it's distance limited up to 15K feet I think. It's been years since I dealt with DSL.
--
~~Chris~~

Need a pro computer tech? See my profile for my website - I offer remote support services!

BND

Gilbert, AZ
reply to m8trix

said by m8trix:

I bypassed the router, over the course of the last couple days, i haven't seen increase in either UL or DL, so it doesn't seem to be the router.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

said by BND:

said by m8trix:

I bypassed the router, over the course of the last couple days, i haven't seen increase in either UL or DL, so it doesn't seem to be the router.

Call Cox Billing department up and get a Credit on your Bill you're paying for the service that you're not getting.

Thats what i do when i have issues.
--
Holocaust survivors and their family's fill this out.
»online.ushmm.org/registry/update···form.php

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to BND

or he can post his signal levels and may want a tech to come out and look at it, getting a credit does not fix the issue

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by m8trix:

or he can post his signal levels and may want a tech to come out and look at it, getting a credit does not fix the issue

Regardless of the signals and tech comes on here. he had Issues and should get a Credit on his bill for services he was billed for and didn't Receive.

This is what i had done.

BND

Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

i may call billing, does a COX tech read these forums? Do they offer assistance at all?

Krak

@cox.net

Yes, lots of Cox technicians read these forums. But you're not throwing up any information that can be used for troubleshooting.

As was already mentioned, post up your modem levels and read that "sticky" here:

»[ALL] what to post before complaining about slow speeds...?

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BND

can you post your signal levels? should be at »192.168.100.1 for the SB5120.
I would also consider buying a Docsis 3 modem, the cisco dpc3010 can be found on ebay for about $30 - $70.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:14
reply to BND

Try using a different speed test server or site.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA
reply to BND

said by BND:

i may call billing, does a COX tech read these forums? Do they offer assistance at all?

It does not hurt in calling the Billing Office up and get a credit for Services not rendered to you and getting billed for them services, I posted my issues and ongoing issues in this forum area and got a credit for these issues relating to cox.

You can post your signal levels and tracert pings etc but still call them up.
--

BND

Gilbert, AZ
reply to nickphx

said by nickphx:

can you post your signal levels? should be at »192.168.100.1 for the SB5120.
I would also consider buying a Docsis 3 modem, the cisco dpc3010 can be found on ebay for about $30 - $70.

Frequency 843000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB
QAM QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 8 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 36100000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 2451
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/s
Power Level 42 dBmV

I had that Cisco router installed, it didnt change anything as far as UL, i took it back just because i was going to test the Century link stuff...whcih ive also got running..im getting about 20Mbs DL and .8Mbs UL.
I can toggle between the two just by changing a plug.
( on COX now to get router signals)

BND

Gilbert, AZ
reply to odog

said by odog:

ive used speedtest.net and it can vary, it says my upload is just a little over 1 Mbs at best.
Any others that provide accurate results?

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by BND:

said by odog:

ive used speedtest.net and it can vary, it says my upload is just a little over 1 Mbs at best.
Any others that provide accurate results?

What tier you have ? premier which one.
--

BND

Gilbert, AZ

said by 08034016 See Profile
What tier you have ? premier which one.
[/BQUOTE :

My bill says:
COX HIGH SPEED INTERNET PREFERRED
includes:
Cox High Speed Internet Preferred with PowerBoost