how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BND

join:2002-05-21
Gilbert, AZ

What can i expect...Century Link FIOS in Gilbert AZ

Looking for experiences with Century link FIOS in Gilbert AZ.
They are coming Wednesday to install PrismTV and Internet.
Fiber was installed to within about 400 Feet of my home recently.

I have cox and DTV at the moment, going to keep them both until i can make a compared decision myself. But i am curious what other have experienced with CL FIOS in Gilbert AZ

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

To start, FIOS is a product offered by Verizon, not CenturyLink. Do you know for sure that the fiber recently installed is being used by CenturyLink?

As a general rule, CenturyLink does not offer residential fiber connections. They do use fiber to the node, but use ADSL or VDSL for the connection to the end location.

What internet speed are they offering with your PRISM package? The initial PRISM setups were over a 25mb pair-bonded ADSL connection with 15mb reserved for video and 10mb available for internet.

Is your current DTV setup in HD? How many receivers do you have connected? When I asked about PRISM, I was told there could only be four active video streams, with a maximum of two in HD.

I think it is wise to keep your Cox and DTV connections while you try it out. I prefer DirecTV over anything else I have seen, so far.

BND

Gilbert, AZ

I used FIOS as a generic for Fiber Optic Service, it IS Century link and it is installed to the node, which is about 400 feet from the house. watched the process over a few weeks and then sales came by the house.

They told me 20Mbs starting for the internet with PRISM, if it was without TV it would be 40, so it look like 20 reserved for TV.
Current DTV is HD, but they haven't wanted to give me any deals recently..all i asked for a new DVR( the Genie, i have an HR22) without a contract ( been off contract for years) and they refused,ive been a customer for 9 years.

Sales didnt mention anything other than i could record up to 4 channels at a time., didn't separation of HD versus SD.
it will be interesting to see.
It will be an interesting test, i have my doubts, they claim they will beat the speeds i get with cox ( i have an UL speed issue posted in that forum). and TV will be better.
we shall see : )

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

It sounds like the last leg will be VDSL, which is what AT&T does with their U-Verse product. Hopefully, it will work well for you.

I have a friend that got one of the new DVR's installed late last year. He talked them down to around $200. I asked about it when calling for something else last week, and the lady suggested calling back near the end of the month.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to BND

said by BND:

I used FIOS as a generic for Fiber Optic Service, it IS Century link and it is installed to the node ...

Just some interesting information:

• "Fios" is the Irish word for "knowledge".
• "FiOS" is Verizon's trademark for a comprehensive service, including Internet, television, and telephone, delivered over "FTTP" (Fiber To The Premises).
• Frontier offers FiOS in markets they acquired from Verizon; but pay VZ royalties to use the mark.
• FairPoint also acquired some FiOS markets, but appear to be re-branding their FiOS service as, "FAST", rather than paying royalties to Verizon.
• AT&T has limited (~1% of homes passed) deployment of FTTP (San Jose, California in West; some parts of Illinois and Michigan in Midwest; parts of Texas in Southwest). AT&T FTTP, where available, is offered under the, "U-verse" brand, but most of U-verse is FTTN, similar to CenturyLink, "Prism".
• Other small ISPs have deployed FTTP.
• Only Verizon and Frontier actively advertise a service called, "FiOS".

CenturyLink "Prism" has much in common with AT&T FTTN "U-verse". It is delivered over copper using VDSL; most commonly from RTs (in powered cabinets known to AT&T users as, "VRADs"). It shares bandwidth with Internet. At best, VDSL will only offer half the bandwidth of DOCSIS 3.0 (requires pair bonding, which requires sufficient pairs in the F2 binder); and coax has enough bandwidth capacity that cable can deliver 100+ Mbps and television without losing Internet speed.

Even when it works well, IPTV is not up to the video quality of either cable, or satellite. When it works poorly, IPTV sucks. Period.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

BND

Gilbert, AZ

Thanks for the information NormanS.
I was doubtful of CL from the start, but i was curious and since ive got 30 days to try it and then cancel i figured id test.

Im keeping what i have (Cox HSI and DTV) intact so i can just cancel PRISM and just change a few cables.

jjon90

join:2009-11-06
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

Don't forget to let us know what you think after the install. Mine is this coming Friday, Gilbert as well.

BND

Gilbert, AZ

It lasted about a day before i switched back to cox for internet, I was getting about 30Mbs + - 2 on cox, when i ran the test with CL it dropped to low 20s and UL was weaker relatively as well.

the remote that CL provides for their Prism TV is small, hard to see ( read)and manage, i use a universal remote with DTV and likely could have programmed it to use with Prism, but the fact remained i wasn't keeping the internet so that was pointless. I did not see any difference in picture quality.

Back to DTV

jjon90

join:2009-11-06
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

Thanks! I may cancel mine before the install!

Update...Cancelled...Thanks for the feedback..

Expand your moderator at work

BND

Gilbert, AZ
reply to jjon90

Re: What can i expect...Century Link FIOS in Gilbert AZ

ok, so i cancelled CL within the 30 day window, on the 7th of march. CL said they were going to send me boxes to return the equipment, never arrived.
So yesterday i called, sure enough they show full disconnect and cancellation but , they showed nothing had been sent to return equipment, the boxes would go out today.
Fine.

I left the house and opened my mailbox, CL bill enclosed, you owe us $205.xx
I called, they verified that account was closed, balance was zero, bill was sent that same day i cancelled. dont worry.
Fine.

Today my phone rings, i answer, so and so, regarding Century link, can you confirm your address. Yes.
This is convergent outsourcing, we are collecting a bill you owe to Century link in the amount of 205.xx.
a BILL COLLECTOR calling on a bill i got yesterday, that has a ZERO balance.

I explain to they i do not have century link service, i had i for about 5 days and cancelled within the 30 cancellation window as was confirmed by my conversation the day prior. They said i needed to call CL and get them to release the collection.

I am fuuuuuming mad. ( my credit is stellar, 830+)

I call century link, after getting bounced around a couple times i end up with a Prism TV person who says the account isnt showing fully closed because i haven't returned the equipment. BUT then he says the screen say you have returned the equipment, so i will zero balance the account, and that convergent outsourcing will be updated with the new information.
I asked ofr confirmation that would be updated, he said all i can do is wait.

UN FRICKIN BELEIVABLE.

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US

It sounds like you never even gave them a chance. If you didn't want it then why did you sign up for it? I also have access to their new fiber network here in A.J. and the service has been just fine. In about 1 1/2 years it's always been fast and was only out one weekend over the whole time. I'm really glad it works so well because there's nothing else available in this area that actually works at all. I'm paying for 20Mb and it tests at 18Mb, just about what I would expect. I could also get 40Mb if I could afford it but I don't see any reason to ever need more than 20 which is fast enough for anything I ever want to do.

BND

Gilbert, AZ

I signed up, because i was given the opportunity my the rep who came by my house. They made promises to me...fiber, yada yada, faster than cox, yada yada, better TV , yada yada. i kept all my other services in tact while testing CL.( because honestly, ididnt beleive them, but heck, free trial, maybe im wrong)

I only needed a day to discern that it wasn't in fact better than cox, ( or Prism better than Directtv) for ME.
Internet speeds were significantly slower, i ran a 24 hour test(JDAST), that checked every 10 minutes: Upload, download, Ping Packet Loss and Jitter, Poor, poor, average, average, certainly not BETTER than cox as "sold" to me, not even close in terms of speed.
The remote for the Prism TV was a pain in the butt , to small, i dont want o have to wear reading glasses to see my remote.
Those issues made my decision easy. i didn't need more than a day those things were not going to change.

My la\st post was just an observation of how unorganized the company seems to be. Really , having collections call me the day after a receive a bill, that doesn't actually exist?

Im glad that the service works for your needs. But it doesn't for mine and perhaps if you HAD a choice you may not choose CL either.

Chongo

join:2007-12-11
Phoenix, AZ

I was also off contract with DirecTV and had the Genie installed with one client box and a Cinema Connection Kit for $49. No haggling needed.

BND

Gilbert, AZ

what is the cinema connection kit and what does it allow you to do?
we only have one TV so we don't need a client box, just the Genie.( just want a new updated machine with a lot of storage.

i shall call them and see what i can wrangle.

Chongo

Phoenix, AZ

The Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) connects the satellite network to the DSL/Cable modem. The internet is fed over the satellite cables to the receivers. Most people don't need them since they already have CAT5 running to where the Genie will go. The new HR44 Genie has 802.11n built in, so the CCK is not required for costumers who have wireless modems. I ditched it because I already had CAT5 where my Genie is located.

BND

Gilbert, AZ

ah, ok, i already have CAT5 running to the area as well.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to BND

Hi all. I just wanted to chime in here. Our team is happy to help anyone having issues with Prism service in Arizona or any of the markets it's available in. The product has recently been introduced in select legacy Qwest markets and I can assure you that we strive to ensure that you have the best experience possible. We make sure that all of our employees have the best training possible, from sales to installation and beyond. If we can assist anyone here with any concerns please contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thank you.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

BND

Gilbert, AZ
reply to Chongo

said by Chongo:

I was also off contract with DirecTV and had the Genie installed with one client box and a Cinema Connection Kit for $49. No haggling needed.

Did they install without a 2 year contract?
They are telling me they will do it for free but require that i sign a 2 year agreement.
what was your approach?

Chongo

Phoenix, AZ

Back on a two year contract. I called and asked.