Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Anzio

Premium Member

to Anzio

Re: Im Here To Defend Roger's Hitron Modem/Router

said by Anzio:

I've learned to take everything Xstar_Lumini See Profile says with a grain of salt.

The boy who cries wolf comes to mind....
cidknee0
join:2009-02-28

cidknee0 to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
I have the Hitron (not exactly sure which model) and I've had it for less than a month. I have it in my living room. Less than 20' away from my mac book..and I get 60% signal. I checked on my wife's Playbook, I get about 55% (using the WiFi tool in the Playbook) and I'm sitting in the same place.

I plugged in my $20 router, and I get 100%, no issues.

I have changed this thing twice now to see about getting a newer model, and nothing has changed. I changed from the Cisco modem which was even worse.

I love on the Rogers site it says no dead zones, when clearly I'm 40' away in my bedroom and I cant use it.

So yes, in my experience, the WiFi on the Hitron modems does suck.
Brainy142
join:2009-09-15
Barrie, ON

Brainy142 to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
on the older hitron's devices at least if you have any wireless G devices connected the network dies.... literally. I turned it into a bridge and got a tp-link 3600 and couldn't be happier.

I will admit though it does good wired.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

1 edit

vincom

the Hitron CGN2-ROG router/modem is great in bridge mode lol, never actually used its routing and wireless features, using my homemade pfsense router/firewall and linksys wrt54g-tm for wireless connections
yoman
join:2013-06-10

yoman to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
It is old, huge-takes up space and release some form of radiated heat but in buildings that refuse to get new lines and have amped up every dam frequency known to mankind this device does provide better reception in building beside cell phone towers as compared to just nodes

KamWest3
join:2013-03-26
Canada

KamWest3 to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
I'm with Xstar_Lumini on this one.
I have an SMC modem/router combination that everyone poo poo's but for me it has been the best unit I have ever owned. (HeHeHe maybe that means I've never really owned good equipment.)

Seriously though, I would not downplay other members problems but for me I have a great SMC that works amazingly well.

I am happy for Xstar_Lumini and I hope he gets many years of great internet with his modem.

rh_ontario
@rogers.com

rh_ontario to Xstar_Lumini

Anon

to Xstar_Lumini
The inability to just connect my router to the modem and have everything work seamlessly as before is indefensible.

First, the cable modem entry point is in a corner in basement.
Second, I have a lot of concrete and tiles between the modem and my bedroom that makes every AC/N/5G/2.4G wifi router marginally operate.
Third, I have too many IP cameras throughout the house already hooked up to my wifi router in the 2nd floor.

So when I finally took the time to upgrade my old cablemodem to the new one, I expect everything to work seamlessly.

So searching around for the solution (Call Rogers and insist they put the modem in bridge mode) solved the problem but still left me unhappy why Rogers didn't anticipate that their hitron modem had this major flaw?

My suggestion is to ALWAYS set it to bridge mode before giving it to a customer. You'd save everyone a ton of grief.

Now I am paying a $8 rental to get a modem with a wifi feature that I never use. Another wasted $4 over the old modem.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

3 edits

Tx to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
This is one of the funniest, yet stupidest threads i've seen in awhile. Stop the press. 1 out of how many again? Has a perfectly functional "Hitron" modem. This folks means everyone is full of phoney baloney. I mean 70ft from it in his car folks.

If this was in the developer world, this would be even more hilarious. It's like 100 people reporting an exploit because i failed to sanitize some code but because 1 says it's all good, it must be!