All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TechieGeek
join:2013-02-17

1 edit

TechieGeek

[Connectivity] Best Way to Install New Cable Internet?

I'm getting Comcast cable internet installed for the first time tomorrow. I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem ready and Comcast wired my home with a line from the street to the outside of my home. The technician tomorrow will be wiring the line to the inside of my house.

Would it be better to ask him for a direct connection from the street to a coaxial outlet right by where my modem will be? (By this I mean, they wired it underground to a point on my house, and from that point we could wire it directly to a room in the house.) I feel like this would be the cleanest line I could get for the best speed (with PowerBoost, I'm only getting the 12Mbps plan) and the lowest latency.

The other option would be to wire the Comcast line into my house's internal coaxial network, which currently distributes my Dish Network around my house. Then we could connect the cable modem to one of the existing "Coax outlets" in the house. Would this introduce any interference if I went this route instead of a direct connection?

Anything else I should know for an optimal install?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Minor variations in line length and placement are not going to have any impact on your speed or latency.

Connecting Comcast cable service into a coax network that is in use with a satellite dish service will likely render both services useless.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 recommendation

beachintech to TechieGeek

Premium Member

to TechieGeek
Only thing you need is to 1.) Let the installer do his job. 2.) Do not share lines with dish. Bad practice.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to TechieGeek

Premium Member

to TechieGeek
Also, if the installer doesn't do some speed tests, make sure you do some before the installer leaves.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

3 edits

Streetlight to TechieGeek

to TechieGeek
You probably should look at the the modem's configuration page that gives signal data. This can usually be accessed at

You might also take a look at the following FAQ to see how your signals compare to some suggestions about what some consider acceptable values:

»Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?
including the feedback

and

»Adelphia High Speed Internet »FAQ: Acceptable cable modem signal levels.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to TechieGeek

Premium Member

to TechieGeek
do not share with the dish. It can cause bad things to happen to your internet service in terms of being dependable. Also the dish might feed RFI onto the cable plant. I doubt any installer would hook to those lines.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to beachintech

MVM

to beachintech
said by beachintech:

Only thing you need is to 1.) Let the installer do his job. 2.) Do not share lines with dish. Bad practice.

Words to live by.
SJTech
join:2013-01-28

SJTech

amen brother!!! With any luck you try and get an in-house Tech!
macbookproi5
join:2012-05-27

macbookproi5 to TechieGeek

to TechieGeek
Same thing with cox just let them do their job in installing the modem and checking on the cables outside and inside the house. You just have to watch the technician while he does that. This is not similar to DsL where the phone company just ships the modem kit to your home and you do the installing.