uniqs

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

Is this more unused U-Verse equipment?

Click for full size
U-Verse???
As you guys know many of us are stuck with DSL as the best offering from AT&T without even cable as an option. I realize that my neighborhood is FTTC and the fastest DSL available is 6mb. About a half mile down the road sits the equipment in this photo. Is this U-Verse equipment or will I be one of the 25% left out in the cold?
rhuckabe
join:2011-12-03
Theodore, AL

1 recommendation

rhuckabe

Looks very similar to equip. in my neighborhood down off Rangeline and we still only getting DSL

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by rhuckabe:

Looks very similar to equip. in my neighborhood down off Rangeline and we still only getting DSL

I'm pretty sure the box on the right is the DSLAM. The one on the left may be a VRAD. You would think AT&T could do better than 6mb in my situation.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Box to the right is an RT, which likely contains a DSLAM. Box on the left is probably a "Serving Area Interface" (SAI; aka, "cross-connect", or "B-Box"). Here is an SAI/VRAD pair serving the copper in my old neighborhood:

VRAD to the left, with SAI.

The tan box in your picture; without a better view, its anybody's guess what it might be. But none of those boxes looks like any VRAD I have seen locally. I have seen some shorter than the adjacent SAI, but still more like the tall one in my picture.
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop

Norman, I agree with your analysis. The cabinet on the right is a Remote Terminal. I put the name on the beige box into a search and it appears to be a generator, I would assume for use during an extended outage.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Box to the right is an RT, which likely contains a DSLAM. Box on the left is probably a "Serving Area Interface" (SAI; aka, "cross-connect", or "B-Box"). Here is an SAI/VRAD pair serving the copper in my old neighborhood:
[ATT=1]
The tan box in your picture; without a better view, its anybody's guess what it might be. But none of those boxes looks like any VRAD I have seen locally. I have seen some shorter than the adjacent SAI, but still more like the tall one in my picture.

The tan box is a generator. Thanks for the info... I just hope AT&T brings us the ADSL2 version of Uverse at least.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Gilitar:

Thanks for the info... I just hope AT&T brings us the ADSL2 version of Uverse at least.

Actually, AT&T can and does deliver ADSL2 from standard ATM fed DSLAMS. When I had two DSL circuits to my home office, the older one was connected to a standard ANSI/G.DMT DSLAM, but the newer one was connected to an ADSL2 DSLAM.

Here are some sample stats (copied from an older post I made in this forum) from those two circuits that show that one of them was ADSL2:

--------------------------------------------------
dcs-gwm> show dsl all

ADSL Line State: Up
ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
ADSL Modulation: DMT
ADSL Data Path: Fast
CO vendor: ALCB
Power Management State L0
Datapump Version: DSP 7.2.3.0, HAL 7.2.1.0

Downstream Upstream
---------- ----------
SNR Margin: 11.00 13.00 dB
Line Attenuation: 49.50 31.00 dB
Output Power: 17.92 11.15 dBm
Errored Seconds: 0 0
Loss of Signal: 0 0
Loss of Frame: 0 0
CRC Errors: 49 1
Data Rate: 3552 384

dcs-gwm> show atm all

ATM port status : Up
Rx data rate (bps) : 3552
Tx data rate (bps) : 384

------------------------------------------------------

dcs-gwn> show dsl all

ADSL Modulation: ADSL2
ADSL Data Path: Fast
CO vendor: BDCM
Power Management State L0
Datapump Version: DSP 7.2.3.0, HAL 7.2.1.0

Downstream Upstream
---------- ----------
SNR Margin: 14.00 13.00 dB
Line Attenuation: 43.80 28.00 dB
Output Power: 16.46 4.38 dBm
Errored Seconds: 4 0
CRC Errors: 4 18
Data Rate: 3547 383

dcs-gwn> show atm all

Rx data rate (bps) : 3547
Tx data rate (bps) : 383

The WiFi hotspot operated by the apartment management that I use for a backup connection also is connected to an ADSL2 DSLAM (I manage that network, so I have access to the 3347 router):

Netopia-3000> show dsl all

ADSL Modulation: ADSL2
ADSL Data Path: Interleave
Datapump Version: DSP 5.2.2.0, HAL 5.2.2.0

Downstream Upstream
---------- ----------
SNR Margin: 13.00 9.20 dB
Line Attenuation: 46.00 30.00 dB
Output Power: 17.07 10.42 dB
Errored Seconds: 0 0
CRC Errors: 2896 34
Data Rate: 3549 376

Netopia-3000> show atm all

Rx data rate (bps) : 3549
Tx data rate (bps) : 376

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

What I never understood is why AT&T didn't take ADSL2 further. Customers with shorter links could have been offered faster speeds.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Gilitar:

What I never understood is why AT&T didn't take ADSL2 further. Customers with shorter links could have been offered faster speeds.

I think it is just marketing pragmatism. Considering the PR problems that they have just trying to explain (to people who don't understand the technology) why everyone can't get 6mbps downstream speed, imagine trying to explain why only a select few can get 24mbps downstream speed.

And speaking of shorter links, I am quite literally a stone's throw from the cross box feeding my neighborhood, and a few days ago AT&T dug a large deep pit around that cross box. If that means that my neighborhood is eventually going to actually get U-verse, I might have to give AT&T a second chance and try it out (because I am close enough to get the maximum speed from an RT based IPDSLAM or VRAD at that location with no problems).

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by NetFixer:

said by Gilitar:

I think it is just marketing pragmatism. Considering the PR problems that they have just trying to explain (to people who don't understand the technology) why everyone can't get 6mbps downstream speed, imagine trying to explain why only a select few can get 24mbps downstream speed.

And speaking of shorter links, I am quite literally a stone's throw from the cross box feeding my neighborhood, and a few days ago AT&T dug a large deep pit around that cross box. If that means that my neighborhood is eventually going to actually get U-verse, I might have to give AT&T a second chance and try it out (because I am close enough to get the maximum speed from an RT based IPDSLAM or VRAD at that location with no problems).

I'm sure your right. It's just easier for them to offer slow speeds across the board. What I want to know is how they are all off a sudden offering 12mb and up packages via that same old ADSL2 technology under the U-Verse brand...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 edits

NormanS to Gilitar

MVM

to Gilitar
said by Gilitar:

In 2005, AT&T, Bellsouth, and SBC were three distinctly separate entities. AT&T only offered dial-up access through, "AT&T Worldnet", SBC was mostly ADSL, with some insider hints of working on an ADSL2+ service. Only Bellsouth offered ADSL2 service on a regular basis.

Then SBC bought AT&T, re-branded itself as AT&T, and finally bought Bellsouth. I suspect the current IP-DSL ADSL2+ service is the SBC-rumored ADSL rollout. I also suspect that Bellsouth ADSL2 deployment stopped with the AT&T buyout; and any future deployment of ADSL in AT&T Southeast (nee "Bellsouth") will be the IP-DSL service.

It is my understanding that IP-DSL is served from RTs in other AT&T regions, so there is hope for AT&T Southeast.

P.S. I am not flaking out on the "pluses". ADSL2+ is an extension of ADSL2. I am reasonably certain, from past responses by NetFixer See Profile, that Bellsouth was offering ADSL, while U-verse IP-DSL is either VDSL, or ADSL2+, depending on the nature of the deployed hardware; i.e., AT&T could upgrade the RT DSLAM in your photo to ADSL2+ IP-DSL capability. I am not an AT&T insider, so no clue if that will ever happen. But it isn't technically impossible.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by NormanS:

said by Gilitar:

In 2005, AT&T, Bellsouth, and SBC were three distinctly separate entities. AT&T only offered dial-up access through, "AT&T Worldnet", SBC was mostly ADSL, with some insider hints of working on an ADSL2+ service. Only Bellsouth offered ADSL2 service on a regular basis.

Then SBC bought AT&T, re-branded itself as AT&T, and finally bought Bellsouth. I suspect the current IP-DSL ADSL2+ service is the SBC-rumored ADSL rollout. I also suspect that Bellsouth ADSL2 deployment stopped with the AT&T buyout; and any future deployment of ADSL in AT&T Southeast (nee "Bellsouth") will be the IP-DSL service.

It is my understanding that IP-DSL is served from RTs in other AT&T regions, so there is hope for AT&T Southeast.

P.S. I am not flaking out on the "pluses". ADSL2+ is an extension of ADSL2. I am reasonably certain, from past responses by NetFixer See Profile, that Bellsouth was offering ADSL, while U-verse IP-DSL is either VDSL, or ADSL2+, depending on the nature of the deployed hardware; i.e., AT&T could upgrade the RT DSLAM in your photo to ADSL2+ IP-DSL capability. I am not an AT&T insider, so no clue if that will ever happen. But it isn't technically impossible.

The real problem for my neighborhood is the fiber to the curb that Bellsouth built out. The equipment in place is only capable of 6mb unfortunately.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Actually, AT&T WorldNet did offer DSL service. Before the SBC assimilation of AT&T, BellSouth, et al, I was involved in setting up quite a few AT&T WorldNet DSL sites for business class customers. Technically, they would use a CLEC for the "last mile" (in this area that CLEC was Covad), but it was branded as AT&T WorldNet DSL service. AT&T WorldNet also offered DS1 and DS3 services with the ILEC (or occasionally a CLEC) providing the "last mile"; and I was also involved with setting up quite a few of those sites before the assimilation.

FWIW, my ADSL2 service was from AT&T, not BellSouth, and that particular DSLAM was installed after the SBC/AT&T assimilation. The hardware was actually recycled from an RT about 50 miles from my location after the area serviced by that RT was converted to VRAD fed U-verse service.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to Gilitar

to Gilitar
Stalking AT&T equipment is not going to get higher speeds in your area.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by brianiscool:

Stalking AT&T equipment is not going to get higher speeds in your area.

Hardly stalking equipment... It sits on the side of the road.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer to Gilitar

Premium Member

to Gilitar
said by Gilitar:

It's an issue of cost and future network planning (that being Uverse.) ADSL2+ deployments are being made under the Uverse brand (using PTM -- "IPDSLAM" -- vs. ATM.)

The CLLI code in the picture suggests it's some form of Uverse gear. They can (and do) put VRADs in the RT unit.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

Most of your ADSL2+ is fed directly from a CO(Central Office) There are some RT(remote Terminals) for ADSL2+ in the field but most of the time it is directly from the CO. Now the picture from mobile does look like it is a RT, but it very well could have both ADSL & VDSL(TV service) equipment in it. I would have to do some more digging the next day I work.

As far as the speed and loop lengths are concerned, if your signal is coming from the CO, that's where the length starts and most of the time it does not run directly from point A to point B(which will increase how far you are away and how much or less speed u can get) Myself I am about 7,000' ft over the copper to my house and on 6mb(about 500-600' too long for 12mb) plus the condition fo the copper plays into it as well. The aerial cable in my area is not very good so if it was all pristine, I might be able to get that 12mb even though I am on the edge.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by Tech007:

Most of your ADSL2+ is fed directly from a CO(Central Office) There are some RT(remote Terminals) for ADSL2+ in the field but most of the time it is directly from the CO. Now the picture from mobile does look like it is a RT, but it very well could have both ADSL & VDSL(TV service) equipment in it. I would have to do some more digging the next day I work.

As far as the speed and loop lengths are concerned, if your signal is coming from the CO, that's where the length starts and most of the time it does not run directly from point A to point B(which will increase how far you are away and how much or less speed u can get) Myself I am about 7,000' ft over the copper to my house and on 6mb(about 500-600' too long for 12mb) plus the condition fo the copper plays into it as well. The aerial cable in my area is not very good so if it was all pristine, I might be able to get that 12mb even though I am on the edge.

I appreciate the info. My particular neighborhood is on FTTC (fitl-mx). »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »What's the difference between DSL, IFITL, DFITL, and MX FastAccess Service?

Any idea what AT&T plans to do with those systems.