Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikeyb4760
Premium
join:2004-09-25
El Cajon, CA

[CA] Does COX allow home webservers?

just for a school project, I installed WIN2K8 standard web and IIS at home. Made a quick and dirty non HTML4 compliant web site and I can view it locally. But when I try to see it offsite using the address 68.***.***.*** it returns a 504. So I'm guessing COX don't allow http to homes unless they pay for it. I made sure the router allows port 80 and for jokes it pings when I allow it and when I enabled FTP it works (but ftp is low bandwidth) Any COX people want to comment

thanks

Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30

cox blocks port 80 incoming traffic.....try opening a different port and should work
Here is a list of ports blocked by cox:
»ww2.cox.com/residential/centralf···00000000

JohnDrenZ
Premium
join:2000-04-03
Phoenix, AZ
reply to mikeyb4760

Cox does block inbound port 80 on residential service.

»Cox HSI Forum FAQ »What ports and services are blocked on Cox residential accounts?

Have you tried using 443 on your server

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to mikeyb4760

"5. Servers. You may not operate, or allow others to operate, servers of any type or any other device, equipment, and/or software providing server-like functionality in connection with the Service, unless expressly authorized by Cox."

»ww2.cox.com/aboutus/policies.cox

Just FYI

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to mikeyb4760

Do you need a web page if so, you get a free website from Cox when you have service from them.

Just get a Domain name and replace cox's DNS thats what i did !!
Easy.
--
Holocaust survivors and their family's fill this out.
»online.ushmm.org/registry/update···form.php

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

No, you don't. They ended that in 2011.
»consumerist.com/2011/11/04/cox-e···stomers/

It would be easier to get a $5 vps account, there's no shortage of those.

Expand your moderator at work

mikeyb4760
Premium
join:2004-09-25
El Cajon, CA
reply to mikeyb4760

Re: [CA] Does COX allow home webservers?

Heh heh heh thanks all for the comments!! It really is for a school project. I'm in Nat Uni and we're supposed to sell a technology to a client. So for jokes I tossed in a web site and encountered the issue as I described above. But using port 8080 is intrigueing .. Thanks for that tip!

m33crob

join:2013-02-06
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Optimus2357

I always thought that this specific text was interesting because it is counter to their advertising. When it comes to gaming, you can host a match which is "hosting a server" and they don't specifically talk about this. I don't watch tv so I'm not sure if their advertising has changed, but it used to put a huge emphasis on gaming.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't ANY inbound connections to your lan be considered a server. You remote into your desktop, you connect to your security cameras, etc. You are connecting to a device that serves you content, aka a server.

m33crob

join:2013-02-06
Phoenix, AZ
reply to mikeyb4760

Cox does not block connections on port 443. You could install a certificated, self signed or otherwise, and then clients can connect to your server using https and that way the don't have to append the port number on the end.

Foxbat121

join:2001-04-25
Herndon, VA
reply to m33crob

The difference is: if you setup a web server, any body in the world can go to your site and potentially cause tremendous traffic. Any other usage is much more limited and only select few can connect. Also, setup a game server is also against TOS.