spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iconfat
join:2005-04-06
Toronto

iconfat

Activation fee for speed increase

Will Teksavvy waive the activation fee for members increasing their dsl speed like they did once before? I think its time for a speed bump.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle

If you're already on a FTTN service, it's just a $25 charge to change speeds, there isn't another activation fee.
iconfat
join:2005-04-06
Toronto

iconfat

No, this would be going from 6Meg GAS to FTTN.
The waived activation fee was on a while back. Hoping Teksavvy can offer it once again.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Should have something to help soon.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to squircle

to squircle
said by squircle:

If you're already on a FTTN service, it's just a $25 charge to change speeds, there isn't another activation fee.

This is what we were told initially, but other threads seem to indicate that even if you have 16mbit you cannot upgrade to 25mbit without absorbing another 100$ fee.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Cloneman:

....other threads seem to indicate that even if you have 16mbit you cannot upgrade to 25mbit without absorbing another 100$ fee.

I did a matrix table in one of those recent threads and got the same impression that YOU did about the answer from TSI posts.

However, the OP wants to go from 6Mb to whatever, and that DID need the fee, according to the other thread.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Any idea how soon? Weeks, months?

I've been thinking of finally ditching the barely attainable 4Mbps line and switching, but was mostly thinking of going with cable even if I like it even less... But with this kind of deal, I would definitely rather stick with DSL then.
darren1972
join:2009-02-16
Nepean, ON

darren1972 to iconfat

to iconfat
I'm also waiting for this. It shouldn't cost $90 to switch from a 6 meg service to 15. As it stands right now, it would be cheaper to cancel my service with Teksavvy and sign up with another provider like Acanac.

This makes to no sense.

dchdrake
Premium Member
join:2005-04-29
Windsor, ON

dchdrake

Premium Member

That fee is not Teksavvy's choice. It's a Bhell thing. It's what you get when you want to use Bhell's Fib internet.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to darren1972

to darren1972
said by darren1972:

I'm also waiting for this. It shouldn't cost $90 to switch from a 6 meg service to 15. As it stands right now, it would be cheaper to cancel my service with Teksavvy and sign up with another provider like Acanac.

This makes to no sense.

Acanac's fee for activation on 12Mbps and 15Mbps is $75.95. And there's something about "Peak Hour Rate Limit - 7PM to 12AM", where it goes down to 6Mbps and 8Mbps respectively.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Should have something to help soon.

@OP: That's a pretty strong don't do anything unless you really need to.

@Marc: How soon is soon? Is this related to the decisions coming out this week?

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido to iconfat

to iconfat
Most likely ... my bet is for March 1st

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
The CBB decision should be out this week sometime, either tomorrow or the next few days... after that ... then we wait for TSI to figure out what they're going to do with their package offerings and THEN they'll make adjustments and any announcements they have planned.

Plus we'll also be waiting while the POI aggregate transition is taking place, THEN it'll be open season shuffle & huffle as peeps either stay with their packages or start moving up or down tiers according to their needs and whether or not certain packages are available in select area's.

Meanwhiles . . . we'll huffle & fuss over possiblities and spectulations galore once this decision comes out as to how things might eventually look when everythings dusted and done.

Bottom line . . . it might be one or two full months or more before we see this whole thing tied up with a nice neat bow.

So, thats that, and hold onto your hat this is almost a Canadian Broadband version of the CRTC Decision Groundhog Festival.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to darren1972

Anon

to darren1972
said by darren1972:

This makes to no sense.

Hmmm this would be going from a legacy DSL connection to Bell's FTTN (or fibe) for example, would it not?

In that case they are "supposed" to condition the line, walk into your house, install the modem, and install a pots splitter.

So yeah, that is the 90-something dollar fee.

You are going from one service offering to a different one type thing, I believe, and the process is as stated w/ those costs.

Now whether or not Bell actually does what it's supposed to do for the money you are paying, that is up to you to bring it up with TSI and complain. I've heard people say they never even saw a tech show up, let alone install a pots-splitter which is part of that install fee.
cutlas
join:2009-04-25

cutlas to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Hey Marc, wondering if you have any more info on this? Looking to upgrade to 15/1; but patiently holding off.

Thanks

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Once we have more details, we will be releasing it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to iconfat

MVM

to iconfat
Bell's reply to JF clarifies this. Going from ADSL2+ to VDSL2 will require the full fee because a technician visit is considered required by Bell. Going from VDSL2 (moving between 15/10, 25/10, and 50/10) will only require the $25 speed change fee.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

1 edit

InvalidError to dchdrake

to dchdrake
said by dchdrake:

That fee is not Teksavvy's choice. It's a Bhell thing. It's what you get when you want to use Bhell's Fib internet.

While TSI has to pay that amount to Bell, how TSI passes it down to their subscribers very much is TSI's choice. Same goes for TSI's AHSSPI and all other back-end, internal and external, one-time and recurring costs.

Some ISPs choose to eat part of the activation fee and even dry loop fees which usually translates into somewhat higher monthly rates and/or other measures such as contracts or prepaid year.

TSI chose to pass costs straight down to avoid inflating monthly rates by whatever their monthly averaged activation+up/downgrade+dry+etc. costs per subscriber is. This makes switching ISPs more expensive for people who tend to switch on a whim but also usually makes it cheaper for people who rarely switch ISPs, which effectively rewards loyalty.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Bell's reply to JF clarifies this. Going from ADSL2+ to VDSL2 will require the full fee because a technician visit is considered required by Bell. Going from VDSL2 (moving between 15/10, 25/10, and 50/10) will only require the $25 speed change fee.

What a crock... Wholesale should challenge this bogus crap.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to iconfat

to iconfat
it's purely anti competitive. it probably does legitimately cost 100$ for bell to send someone, so they break even, but at the same time it's a big barrier for wholesale customers, which makes bell services more tempting.

The real croc is not being able to change between wholesale ISPs without being charged. I should be allowed to move between TSI 25/10 and Ebox 25/10 without a 100$ fee.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to iconfat

MVM

to iconfat
Bell's claim is that the line conditioning is required to move to VDSL2.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Cloneman

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

it's purely anti competitive. it probably does legitimately cost 100$ for bell to send someone, so they break even

Before the current $95 fee, Bell was saying VDSL2 installations actually cost them over $200. The reason it is "only" $95 now is that due to complaints against their former $200+ only-when-needed fee (both the fee itself and definition/reasons why it may be needed) and having to keep track of that, they decided to go with an ALWAYS-$95 fee.

In other words, people who do not need tech visits are subsidizing people who may have special circumstances and complications where the tech visit(s) may cost over $300.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Bell's claim is that the line conditioning is required to move to VDSL2.

From legacy. No?

A switch from ADSL2 to VDSL shouldn't require a full because the person on ADSL2 (or fibe) already paid the "conditioning" fee (plus pots splitter +, +,...).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by hm :

From legacy. No?

A switch from ADSL2 to VDSL shouldn't require a full because the person on ADSL2 (or fibe) already paid the "conditioning" fee (plus pots splitter +, +,...).

Bell specifically argues in their filing that conditioning is required when moving from ADSL2+ to VDSL2.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Guspaz:

said by hm :

From legacy. No?

Bell specifically argues in their filing that conditioning is required when moving from ADSL2+ to VDSL2.

If so, then JF is right in his counter-beef he filed.

Conditioning, as filed, was to remove bridge taps and whatever else. Someone on ADSL2 has already paid that.

So Bell is double-dipping.

I hope JF re-files. He seems to be the only one on the ball.

ts5mbit4life
@teksavvy.com

ts5mbit4life to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

What is the actually speed limit for ADSL2+? Is that the 5mb (supposed to be 6) offered to GAS customers or is there a higher speed available for non VDSL?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by ts5mbit4life :

What is the actually speed limit for ADSL2+? Is that the 5mb (supposed to be 6) offered to GAS customers or is there a higher speed available for non VDSL?

ADS2+'s theoretical limit is 24Mb/s downstream and 1.4Mb/s upstream (which is why upload speed had stayed at 800kB/s to 1Mb/s for so long). And those caps are based on the best distance from the DSLAM, the further you go, the worse the speed gets.

This is why Bell and every other DSL ISP has been rolling out FTTN & VDSL2. Bell's been doing it at a pretty slow pace though, since so many people still can only get 6Mbps down in so many places in Ontario.