Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

2 recommendations

Lurch77 to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka

Re: RAM 1500 Becomes Industry-First Half-Ton Diesel Pickup

That's the hybrid, which opens up a lot of other costs vs mileage comparisons. I assumed we were talking strictly gas vs diesel.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

The Hybrid is strictly gasoline...

I threw it out there as a comparison to the Passat.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

The Hybrid is strictly gasoline...

I threw it out there as a comparison to the Passat.

Not for nothing, but the $3500 battery pack replacement cost should be amortized over the annual "savings" for the vehicle...

Based on the 8-10 year life the Prius packs are showing, that adds $350-500/yr to the operating costs of a Hybrid.

Still very cheap to operate, efficient, and the price point has dropped to where it's a option for many people, no argument - but there is that "gotcha" when the batteries need to be replaced (and, at some point, they will...)

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

And if there were a diesel electric hybrid, it would have even higher MPG numbers.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to LazMan

MVM

to LazMan
And you could quite easily argue that turbo, DPNR catalyst replacement and decarbonizing on a diesel should also be included in amortized costs as well.
Those will need to be done about as often (if not more often) as will HV batteries - and contrary to what you state, most Prius do not need a battery at that age.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

I'm not looking to get into a pissing match here...

I've seen 500k put on diesel VW's at a rate of 50-60k a year; and never needed cat, turbo, or decarboning service... Nothing more then glow plugs, and routine maintenance.

I'll agree with Lurch and others here that a hybrid vs. diesel isn't an apples to apples argument... Toyota has a great hybrid package, and as I said above, they are getting to the point of being affordable and practical for more consumers.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Not for nothing, but the $3500 battery pack replacement cost should be amortized over the annual "savings" for the vehicle...

Based on the 8-10 year life the Prius packs are showing, that adds $350-500/yr to the operating costs of a Hybrid.

Still very cheap to operate, efficient, and the price point has dropped to where it's a option for many people, no argument - but there is that "gotcha" when the batteries need to be replaced (and, at some point, they will...)

Coincidentally I just saw a commercial for a new Hyundai battery warranty. Seems it basically eliminates battery replacement costs if you are the original owner. There are still, naturally, limitations to the warranty. »blog.caranddriver.com/hy ··· arranty/