join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood

Re: Youtube is slow

said by billydunwood:

I also changed the DNS in our TCP/IP settings and am now using OpenDNS

That may be the source of your problem. Using a public DNS server breaks the geolocation functionality used by major content delivery networks that serve bandwidth-intensive content like videos. This can result in the data being served from a POP a great distance from your location and therefore sluggish performance. Try changing back to your ISPs DNS servers temporarily and see if it makes a difference.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

youtube is butt slow here in pittsburgh on fios.. bout the only thing slow, everything else is snappy..

someone prolly packeting them for some dumb shit

-j
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

1 recommendation

billydunwood to pike

to pike
I changed to OpenDNS because Youtube was slow on Uverse DNS too.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

You should definitely use your ISP DNS .. it is the only way to know the best path from your location thru you ISP's network
JamB Online
join:2005-06-14
Salem, OR

JamB Online

said by guppy_fish:

You should definitely use your ISP DNS .. it is the only way to know the best path from your location thru you ISP's network

I have never heard this statement backed up, & have had great success with OpenDNS. Do you have a source? I have no dog in this fight, I am simply seeking knowledge. I ask as a network admin who has worked for NCR, Daimler-Chrysler, Holiday Retirement, & Yum brands, so I'm not exactly a n00b.
65589721 (banned)
join:2013-04-24
Australia

65589721 (banned)

As well as i think the speed depends on the kind of internet you are using. If it is 2g than obviously the speed is going to be low. Whereas in 3g it will be good enough to watch youtube.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

1 recommendation

fartness (banned)

lol

I think you missed the point of this post. People with internet that is better than something coming from a cell tower are having issues.