signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

3 edits

ACER laptop, USB not working

I think the power to the usb is not working on an acer laptop I was given to try and fix. can anyone help?

It's an Aspire 5100 with a Turion.

I tried booting off of SuSE, and the mouse/usb still doesn't work.

I am wondering, SuSE, while loading drivers, says usb ok, so I am thinking, what if the bios needs to be reinstalled? Or is there a way to get to factory BIOS settings?

Spent a few hours searching the web. Tried pulling batter, unplugging, and holding down start button for a minute and a half. No dice. Tried removing HD. No dice. Tried, of course, during this, booting off of SuSE Live. No dice. Finally, updated BIOS and then the trackpad worked in SuSE Live, but USB still not working. When plug in usb mouse, LED flashes 3 times weakly, and goes out. Tried powered hub, no dice.

It's late and I'm tired, so quitting for now.

Southbridge MUST be ok, because keyboard, trackpad, HD, and OD work. Only USB not working so far. Could this be a solder joint issue? The computer seems perfect otherwise!

Well well, decided to stay up just a tad longer. Touchpad and keyboard work in XP now, and mouse LED lights if only push in USB plug 1/3 the way, but doesn't work. Windows says there is something wrong, but doesn't specify.

I am thinking the problem is either a cold solder joint or tin whiskers.

Should I try a solder reflow oven thingy? Anyone know of a tutorial on how to do so?

If touchpad, keyboard, HD, and OD work, and wireless works, I would think the Southbridge is ok, right?

This is just too nice a system to blow off...

It seems that a LOT of people are struggling with the same issue and finding a variety of fixes. I did update the BIOS to the latest

I was thinking, what if I got a PCMCIA USB adapter? Could I get a couple USB ports that way?

JeffMD

join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL
kudos:1
Welcome to linux. I have yet to find a build that "fully supports" my inspiron. Usually bugs with the ati driver in all of them.

Can you verify if usb works with a windows install?

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
No, XP is working on it, though the install is shaky, and USB does not work with it, either.

JeffMD

join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
I see so its the computer that is broken. Yea pcmcia usb ports will work. Why wouldn't they?

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA
reply to signmeuptoo
This may sound stupid, but have you loaded/reloaded all the Acer drivers. I've seen situations where certain USB ports wouldn't be active unless the motherboard drivers were loaded. I don't know if that would be the case with a laptop, but it couldn't hurt.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Yes, but the USB ports don't work in Linux either.