share rss forum feed

paul248

join:2001-09-04

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to spock

Re: Status of ipv6 with Canadian ISP

said by spock:

Unfortunately my ISP will only give me a single ip from the same /64 it gives everyone else.

It sounds like they haven't put much effort into deploying IPv6 robustly (Edit: that's probably false; see below). Are you sure that you're actually limited to a single IP, or can you grab any number of addresses as long as you participate in Neighbor Discovery?

If it's the latter, then you might be able to hack something together using 6relayd:

»github.com/sbyx/6relayd

Edit: also, If you haven't already, try asking your ISP if they'd be willing to manually route a /56 to you. This thread suggests that they were beta testing with /56 routes in 2010:

»IPv6 beta

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

said by paul248:

It sounds like they haven't put much effort into deploying IPv6 robustly (Edit: that's probably false; see below). Are you sure that you're actually limited to a single IP, or can you grab any number of addresses as long as you participate in Neighbor Discovery?

TSI's v6 roll out even for beta testing has been pretty poor.

spock

join:2012-07-08

1 recommendation

reply to paul248

I live in the west so the ipv6 beta for teksavvy is quite a bit different than in Ontario. No /56

I will look into 6rd

Thanks

paul248

join:2001-09-04

1 recommendation

said by spock:

I will look into 6rd

I mentioned 6relayd. 6rd is "IPv6 rapid deployment", a tunneling technology which is almost but not entirely unrelated to this discussion.

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to paul248

said by paul248:

Are you sure that you're actually limited to a single IP, or can you grab any number of addresses as long as you participate in Neighbor Discovery?

If it's the latter, then you might be able to hack something together using 6relayd:

»github.com/sbyx/6relayd

Thanks for mentioning this. I just tried it out (same ISP as the OP). Either I've misconfigured something or their config can't handle more than 1 IP per PPPoE connection.

Watching both the WAN and LAN interfaces I see the Router Advertisements get relayed. I don't actually see the Neighbour Solicitation/Advertisements relayed out to the WAN interface though I've asked 6relayd to relay it all and machines on the LAN are getting IPs in the correct prefix. It is updating the routing table to accommodate the IPs on the LAN and from the LAN I can ping either the LAN or WAN interfaces of the router. But when pinging out to the Net I see the echo requests go out but nothing entering the WAN port.

I expected to see the neighbour solicitation/advertisement relayed to the WAN. Not sure why I don't see that.