how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

McMaster students get Fall Break

Mac students get a tending-to-their-mental-health 2-day break. Booze optional. Halloween costumes mandatory.

»cbc.sh/sCmldqH
--
minimum waste, maximum joy
Expand your moderator at work

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to jpaik

Re: McMaster students get Fall Break

uOttawa got a full fall reading week in my 2nd or 3rd year (honestly can't remember which). They started classes two days earlier, and ended them two days later than the year before. Combined it with their High School recruitment day in October (when they already cancelled classes) to make a full week.

Much preferred it that way.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to jpaik
Masters level students at U of T get (and always got) a reading week in November and in February.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to jpaik
Same case with York University. 1 week for reading. I mean playing games.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Masters level students at U of T get (and always got) a reading week in November and in February.

And I quite enjoyed it this year!

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
Although I've got a paper due next Monday, so no rest for me for this coming reading week.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
kudos:1
said by Styvas:

Although I've got a paper due next Monday, so no rest for me for this coming reading week.

My reading week is not until March 11-15 at Tyndale Seminary

For the fall semester we got Ocober 22-27th off
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON
reply to jpaik
" It'll be especially beneficial for first-year students...".

"It's really an opportunity to focus on wellness".
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Really? My supervisor used to say that even the spring reading week was just for undergrads. No classes during spring reading week but I don't remember classes taking any breaks in the fall.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by pnjunction:

said by DKS:

Really? My supervisor used to say that even the spring reading week was just for undergrads. No classes during spring reading week but I don't remember classes taking any breaks in the fall.

We got it (and still get it) at Vic. I saw a Vic Masters student yesterday who said it started this week. U of T undergrad now takes just a 2 day break in the Fall. My old grad faculty does take a week-long break in October (22-29 last year).
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to jpaik
Regardless of how long any reading break is, the accrediting agencies require a certain amount of class time...so all taking a break does in the middle of the semester is lengthen the semester.

Where I am getting my Masters Degree the class time is actually longer than one Seminary on the west coast does (by about 4 hours of total class time). I know this, because I know the president of said seminary. Even though both Seminaries are accredited by the same organization ATS (»www.ats.edu/Pages/default.aspx)
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by pnjunction:

said by DKS:

We got it (and still get it) at Vic. I saw a Vic Masters student yesterday who said it started this week. U of T undergrad now takes just a 2 day break in the Fall. My old grad faculty does take a week-long break in October (22-29 last year).

Likely depends on the college, or even the specific program.

My girlfriend is at the Munk School (which I believe is a Trinity College program) and they didn't get a fall reading week.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to jpaik
I'm on reading week right now. To be honest, I don't understand the point of it. I'd rather skip reading week and get done the semester one week earlier.

To go with that, I'd rather attend college year round in order to complete the program sooner. Unfortunately my program doesn't offer that.
--
Tom

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
said by TLS2000:

I'm on reading week right now. To be honest, I don't understand the point of it. I'd rather skip reading week and get done the semester one week earlier.

To go with that, I'd rather attend college year round in order to complete the program sooner. Unfortunately my program doesn't offer that.

I agree I would rather just complete it sooner... However some people need the break to cope (different types of learners)

Since I started my Masters Degree (July 2011) I have been going part time year round. I will finish my last two courses this summer
--

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
I don't disagree that different people might need the break, but the real world isn't going to allow for that and I believe it's best to provide that lesson to them early in life.
--
Tom

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

I was able to complete a 2 year college diploma in one year by going three semesters in a row and getting an exemption to the first semester by virtue of a university degree.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
They don't offer an accelerated program for what I'm doing.

I will be able to get a year off of the degree program once I'm done though.
--
Tom