graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Lose power with GPU load

I have a 14 month old HP Pavilion P7-1003w which I upgraded with a Thermaltake 600 watt power supply and an Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 560.

I went to play a game today and the computer simply lost power. No blue screen. I couldn't get the computer to restart. I unplugged the computer and when plugged back in I am able to get it to boot. Play the game again and it crashes. I ran a program called AIDA64 and if I run a CPU stress test its fine. If I run a GPU stress the computer loses power again.

The final piece to the puzzle is my house did experience a brownout a few weeks ago. I do have a surge protector but I'm not sure how well it handles brownouts.

My suspicion is the power supply needs replacing. But I wonder if the GPU (or motherboard) may have gone bad. I don't have spare parts so I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot without buying something. I'm wondering if people agree that it is most like the power supply or if someone thinks it to be more likely the GPU or has another suggestion. Does the fact I need to pull the plug to reboot point to the power supply or does that apply equally well to GPU or motherboard? (motherboard lights stay green upon losing power)

Thanks!

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

It may be the PSU, but it may also be the motherboard, or the graphics card itself. You get to start replacing pieces until you figure out which one it is. Here's my story, though your situation may be different:

»koitsu.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/ ··· e-day-1/
»koitsu.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/ ··· e-day-2/
»koitsu.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/ ··· -finale/
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
Thanks for sharing. That scorching is quite scary! Most of my connectors are black and will make it harder to detect that. No blown or bulging transistors on anything that I can find.

Fortunately I bought my wife a barebones machine with the intention of upgrading the PSU and GPU. I guess I'll buy both at the same time to troubleshoot my computer and what I don't need will go to her's. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed its not the motherboard.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to graniterock
One thing you could try is to pull the GPU and run on the HD4200. See if you have the same problem and it may get you one step closer to figuring out if it's the video card or not.

I'd guess it's the PSU personally, but it's best to eliminate all suspects if possible.

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to koitsu
I bought a power supply and just for fun one of those PSU testers. When I went to test a second wire with the tester the PSU went dead. I'm now running my computer with a new PSU and knock on wood everything appears to be fixed. I ran the GPU / CPU Aida 64 stress test for a minute and no crashes. So I think everything is fixed.

I was quite happy to find a Antec EA-650 EarthWatts Platinum 650W 80Plus Platinum Certified Continuous Power Supply for $25 off and picked up two as I was pretty confident the PSU was the issue and my wife was needing one for her new build. It says it has brown out protection. I'm not sure if that means it will be better able to stand up to a brownout unlike my late thermatake or if that just means it will protect the rest of the computer in case of a brown out.

Thanks Koitsu and Dissembled for add to the thread. If my computer blows up tomorrow I'll be sure to update the thread but I have a good feeling things are resolved and I won't need to.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Dissembled
said by Dissembled:

I'd guess it's the PSU personally

I'm going to go get myself a frickin cookie.