uniqs
Bill C
join:2013-02-17
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

Bill C to spock8

to spock8

Re: Status of ipv6 with Canadian ISP

TSI may be similar to Skyway West, we assign a /48 to each customer with multiple sites and a /64 to each network segment/site. From our perspective, a /64 is the new /24 (also know as a class C).
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

said by Bill C:

TSI may be similar to Skyway West, we assign a /48 to each customer with multiple sites and a /64 to each network segment/site. From our perspective, a /64 is the new /24 (also know as a class C).

You should allow a customer to request a /60. Trying to compare v4 to v6 doesn't make any sense, especially for consumer connections. Only providing a /64 for a business customer is ridiculously stingy and will just piss off those customers.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

1 recommendation

spock8 to Bill C

to Bill C
said by Bill C:

No i have confirmed teksavvy in the west assigns ips from the same /64. Obviously it's just a beta so I can only assume in the future they will at least give each user a whole /60 so they could have a few subnets of their own. I personally have wireless on one, iptv on another and general inet on the last one. I currently do this all behind a nat. With ipv6 there will be no nat so I will need a few subnets from my ISP. Giving a customer just 1 subnet , /64 , is silly. Sure there is 2^64 ips in a /64 but we need to start thinking that a /64 is the old ipv4 /24. i could manually subnet a /64 but from my understanding to use all the current and future features of ipv6 the smallest I can go is /64