Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

1 edit

battery backup lights

I thought about doing this a few years ago but now I'm getting a bit more serious about it, one thing I can't remember is how do you get the lights (in this case LED's) to stay off until the power fails? I was thinking 350 mA should be enough for the hallway and dining room area. At the time being I was thinking about using a 17 Ah battery with a 350 mA driver powering 3 LED's in series.

I have two of these here:
»www.ledsupply.com/creexre-rb.php

and a single 3-Up neutral white which the LED's still work but something fell on the dies while curing on a heatsink.

»www.ledsupply.com/07007-pw740-l.php

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
anything from a simple relay to a opto coupler would provide an isolated signal that the power is on. When that signal changes state you've lost power.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I'm sure a relay would be a bit more simple, I can't figure out how long of a runtime I would get.. I would guess around maybe 19-22 hours?

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
said by Subaru:

can't figure out how long of a runtime I would get.. I would guess around maybe 19-22 hours?

Typical 3 LED setup will be consuming about 350mAh each hour.

With a new fully charged 17Ah battery, maximum run time would be about 40 hours but you should really implement a cut off to prevent battery voltage from dropping below 10V.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Heh I was off a bit on that :P Not too sure if I would be 40 hours without power.. the hurricane sandy was different.. normal storm stuff it's maybe 5 hours at best..

So for an AC relay I would be looking for a N/O relay?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
An normally closed relay on the power connected to an AC source. When power is lost, it closes and turns on the power to the LED's.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
So something like this would be ok?

»www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omr···nUCcPAza

10A should be more then enough rated

and I was thinking about building this charger.. i'd just need the IC and jack and that's about it.. I have the rest here.

»www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Lea···Charger/
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
reply to Subaru
Yes, that relay would work. You use the NC contacts as shdesigns See Profile said.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by SparkChaser:

Yes, that relay would work. You use the NC contacts as shdesigns See Profile said.

I was looking in the data sheet something like this..

SPST-NO Semi-sealed G2R-1A

SPDT Semi-sealed G2R-1

I would assume that G2R-1 would be NC since it does not list anything right?
--

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
A SPST would not have a normally closed contact. It has to be SPDT.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by SparkChaser:

A SPST would not have a normally closed contact. It has to be SPDT.

got it, now I just need to find a driver that I have left over.. not sure if royal blue would be great for the hallway since the wavelenth is 450nm.. I had them in the kitchen for awhile and everything florescent was glowing

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to Subaru
if you want an easy out, they're only about $20 online.

for that cheap, it may be fun just to grab one and modify it to your liking.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Cheap way out too easy only a few things I need to order, I would be using a small aluminum bar as a heatsink.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
ah poo can't find the 1 amp driver, I can at least I can start with the sla charger.

I saw two.. one being a bit more in-depth.. and the other one is simple.

Having said that the simple one does not seem to trickle charge? I haven't messed too much with SLA but I know the charge rates are low but is it safe to keep a charge on it long term?

Complex charger circuit
»www.talkingelectronics.com/proje···SLA.html

simple

»www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Lea···r/#intro
--

shdesigns
Premium
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus

1 recommendation

I have one I used:

»shdesigns.org/gcellchg.html

I set it to 13.4V. Will charge fast for the the first 75% then ramps down to 0.

It is what is called a "float charger".
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
That design looks good and the LED is a nice touch so after I get my battery (might use one I have already) I just find what the charge settings are and just set it to that?

shdesigns
Premium
Stone Mountain, GA
Yes, see what the OEM says for float charge voltage.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I will have a check, I hope it's listed on the battery, btw nice use of off the shelf parts, I have everything listed but the heatsink and the N22222A

My project box may be a little small but I have at least 3 sizes laying around

shdesigns