Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to xtachx

Premium Member

to xtachx

Re: ddos attack

said by xtachx:

I have a question with such DDOS attacks. If no ports are forwarded on the router side, wouldnt the packets just be ignored?

DDoS will cause your downstream or upstream to be saturated, thus preventing legitimate traffic from reaching the intended destination.

Replacing your router is not going to resolve the problem. Having cooperation from your ISP to filter traffic, or stop pissing off people is the best result
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx

said by pfak:

said by xtachx:

I have a question with such DDOS attacks. If no ports are forwarded on the router side, wouldnt the packets just be ignored?

DDoS will cause your downstream or upstream to be saturated, thus preventing legitimate traffic from reaching the intended destination.

Replacing your router is not going to resolve the problem. Having cooperation from your ISP to filter traffic, or stop pissing off people is the best result

So I guess in this case, we would need cooperation from the host ISP. Its funny how someone can be DDOSed and he/she will go over their bandwidth caps for no fault of his/ hers.

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by xtachx:

Its funny how someone can be DDOSed and he/she will go over their bandwidth caps for no fault of his/ hers.

Doubtful that it's unwarranted. The original poster is not a business, and therefore there is no benefit of DDoSing them for extortion or otherwise ..

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to pfak

Premium Member

to pfak
Upstream no, because your router should simply drop the traffic, and not respond to it.

Downstream, possible, but unlikely with faster internet speeds. 10 mbps wouldn't be hard to saturate with ddos, 25 and up, significantly harder...

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by kevinds:

Upstream no, because your router should simply drop the traffic, and not respond to it.

Downstream, possible, but unlikely with faster internet speeds. 10 mbps wouldn't be hard to saturate with ddos, 25 and up, significantly harder...

Upstream can be saturated by causing the router to respond to requests, via ICMP Ping or other services (eg. UPnP).

25Mbps is a ridiculously small DDoS attack. I suggest you do some reading