join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

1 recommendation

koitsu to graniterock

MVM

to graniterock

Re: Lose power with GPU load

It may be the PSU, but it may also be the motherboard, or the graphics card itself. You get to start replacing pieces until you figure out which one it is. Here's my story, though your situation may be different:

»koitsu.wordpress.com/201 ··· e-day-1/
»koitsu.wordpress.com/201 ··· e-day-2/
»koitsu.wordpress.com/201 ··· -finale/
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Thanks for sharing. That scorching is quite scary! Most of my connectors are black and will make it harder to detect that. No blown or bulging transistors on anything that I can find.

Fortunately I bought my wife a barebones machine with the intention of upgrading the PSU and GPU. I guess I'll buy both at the same time to troubleshoot my computer and what I don't need will go to her's. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed its not the motherboard.
graniterock

1 recommendation

graniterock to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu
I bought a power supply and just for fun one of those PSU testers. When I went to test a second wire with the tester the PSU went dead. I'm now running my computer with a new PSU and knock on wood everything appears to be fixed. I ran the GPU / CPU Aida 64 stress test for a minute and no crashes. So I think everything is fixed.

I was quite happy to find a Antec EA-650 EarthWatts Platinum 650W 80Plus Platinum Certified Continuous Power Supply for $25 off and picked up two as I was pretty confident the PSU was the issue and my wife was needing one for her new build. It says it has brown out protection. I'm not sure if that means it will be better able to stand up to a brownout unlike my late thermatake or if that just means it will protect the rest of the computer in case of a brown out.

Thanks Koitsu and Dissembled for add to the thread. If my computer blows up tomorrow I'll be sure to update the thread but I have a good feeling things are resolved and I won't need to.