share rss forum feed

Savant
Premium
join:2001-08-12
Toronto

Syetem Shock 2 is back...!

Wow, never thought I would see this...

quote:
For the past decade something has been lurking amid the vast electronic tangle of cyberspace: a name whispered with a strange mixture of fondness and fear by those who remember it; a creation that reigned supreme at the tail end of the last Millennium, and then almost completely disappeared. Just a few days ago, however, it suddenly came back, determined to regain its former glory. I’m here to tell you why you should be afraid and delighted in equal measure.

The alluring monster in question is, of course, System Shock 2, often referred to as the spiritual predecessor to Bioshock, the game that earned Ken Levine a place in the virtual hall of fame. For more thirteen years, legal problems have kept it locked in cyberspace, inaccessible to anyone who didn't buy it in 1999. But now, finally, that's all be resolved, and Good Old Games has released a version of it optimised for modern PCs. (link)
For $10 you get the game, soundtrack (both flac and MP3) wallpapers, artworks and more. Definitely worth a look if not a buy. Especially if you have never played it. This is really a part of gaming history, and it is rare to have it resurface like this and be playable on new machines.
--

Attack the words, not the writer...

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

Hrmmmmmm... looks like I need to visit GoG when I get home. Thanks for the share, Savant.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Savant

Awesome! I didn't get to play this when it first came out, we had a crap pc then. Totally getting this and modding it.

Ratman_84

join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA
reply to Savant

One of the best games I've ever played.

I don't care if the graphics are outdated.

Might be time for me to make my third run of the game.

Savant
Premium
join:2001-08-12
Toronto
reply to Savant

Don't forget to mod it! By the way, I actually made a mod to upgrade the video quality of the main cutscenes. It should be out there somewhere, but I can repost if it's not around anymore. (~200meg though, need somewhere that can host it)
--

Attack the words, not the writer...

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
reply to Savant

I played the original System Shock and this game also.I think I had a 486 25 Mhz PC and ran it under DOS.Had to go thru a lot of memory managing to get all the drivers loaded in main Memory.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

quote:
Had to go thru a lot of memory managing to get all the drivers loaded in main Memory.

Those were the days

Quarterdeck Extended Memory Manager was a "godsend". [QEMM]

I also recall writing a few simple Batch files that would allow me to either boot into windows 3.1, or decide on what game I wanted to launch.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Savant

Just a thought, but you may be able to put up a torrent or something.

Or maybe dropbox or something.