spc
Search similar:

uniqs

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

[WIN7] Remote Desktop Scaling/Panning Dissimilar Size Displays

I'm trying to deal with a host computer that has a display resolution of 2560x1600 on a laptop that has a display of 1920x1200.

I've been experimenting with the RDP file and smart sizing:i:1 as well as the superpanaccelerationfactor parameters, but with no luck. When the laptop connects, it can only see the upper 1920x1200 pixels of the host display and in doing so, it messes up the arrangement of windows that are near the right side of the host display, shoving them to the left by the difference in display widths and heights.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to get my client PC to scroll it's window over the larger host desktop, or, alternatively, scale the host desktop to fit the client PC. Neither of these parameters, hand edited into the RDP settings file, seem to accomplish that goal.

Is there a parameter to enable panning of the desktop on the client PC? What have I overlooked in these settings?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Re: [WIN7] Remote Desktop Scaling/Panning Dissimilar Size Displa

What if you specify the desktopheight and desktopwidth? And ensure smart sizing is disabled?

What version is your RDP client? Latest?

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

This is a fully-patched and updated Windows 7 64-bit with SP1, so I would guess it'd be the latest version of RD.

Eventually, through much trial and error, I discovered "enablesuperpan" and then when I turned off "smart sizing", it finally came up as a pannable desktop. It works!

A lot of this stuff is not accessible from the RD config menu. I was able to save and open in Notepad, the RDP file and after trying quite a few combinations, finally found the one that works. Some options conflict and prevent the panning feature from working, so it's not as simple as adding the parameter and adding a '1' after it.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Yea, .rdp files still have some mysteries I haven't been able to crack...

Before my last format, I had an .rdp file that gave me a blown up session on my high resolution monitor so the text was scaled about 2:1, so I could actually read the text... unfortunately I haven't been able to recreate it so I purchased a third party application (Remote Desktop Manager) which did it within an embedded tab.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

It's nice to know there are some 3rd party tools out there to help with doing some of these tasks. I often like to get into the internals and find ways of doing it without extra add ons. It's challenging and rewarding when you find a way to accomplish it with the tools included in Windows.
This is my third Win 7 install this month. Once I tested it on a laptop and found that my core apps work great on it, that opened the floodgates to upgrading both my workstations. First step was buy Intel 335 series SSD drives. Install Win 7 on the SSD. Configure, tweak, install apps, resolve conflicts with older apps (turning off Aero, window snapping and the tablet input functions cured most all) and finally install Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode for those 16-bit apps.. I have a long list of things that still need doing, but things are starting to work out nicely. Last night I was playing with Ubuntu in a virtual PC session. Pretty slick, these virtual machines are!