sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo

Re: Low water pressure

The dip tube is a plastic tube inside the water heater. It takes the cold water from the inlet down to the bottom of the water heater. As you recall from basic science, heat rises. So the hot water that exits your water heater leaves through the top. You don't want to be diluting the already-heated water with cold water. Thus the dip tube. It takes the cold water that needs heating down to the lower part of the heater where the heat source (gas burner, for example) is located.

Depending on the age of your water heater, it might be feasible to replace the tube. But if the tank is already past its prime life expectancy, then just replacing the water heater is probably a better choice.

A great place to get help and parts is »waterheaterresuce.com

A video of this thread...
»www.ronhazelton.com/tips ··· lacement
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

To add to Goofy's post... For a period of time, water heater manufacturers were using an inappropriate material for their dip tubes, which resulted in them failing prematurely.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Hmm...interesting.
Would the dip tube be a reason for hot water not lasting as long as it used to?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by onebadmofo:

Yes.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to onebadmofo

MVM

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Hmm...interesting.

Building on Bob's brief reply...

Yes, because if the dip tube broke off say right at the top of the inlet, cold water immediately mixes with the hot water and then exits the water heater. If it's the first use after the heater has reached it's max temperature, you'll have hot water for a brief period until enough cold water has mixed lowering the temperature of the top portion of the water heater. The water at the bottom of the tank never gets properly mixed with the cold incoming water until the water usage stops and the water settles.

If indeed it is the diptube, you can buy replacement tubes at supply houses locally or online. They aren't that expensive. But it can be a real PITA to get the supply nipple off to replace the tube due to years of corrosion. And if you do get it off, it may not go back on very well.

The years where dip tubes were really an issue were the 90s ending up in a class action lawsuit and settlement that ended IIRC in 2000 or 2001. It's not inconceivable you could have a water heater from that vintage, although if you do I'd plan on replacing it rather than repairing it...you're already on borrowed time statistically speaking.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

Another "common" error that a DIYer can make when replacing a dip tube is shooting your own foot when soldering a connection on top of the newly replaced tube. If you heat an area with the torch too close to the new plastic, you can damage the new tube with radiant heat.

Hate to say it onebadmofo See Profile, but I think a new heater is your likely best investment after you verify the age of the heater.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to cdru

to cdru
You also need a high enough ceiling to get the new dip tube into the tank!

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
Well....isn't that just peachy.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Premium Member

I couldn't find a year it was made. The yellow energy sticker has a year of 1994 on it. But I don't think that is something I can go by.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Hmm...interesting.

A dip tube problem would not match the symptoms you described (hearing water running when there was no known consumer of water in use, and I think you sorta implied that the flame does not go off when you have the valve open).
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Isn't that a different water heater thread?

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Yep think the post two above might belong to »New gas water heater but water lukewarm-HELP!

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by dcurrey:

Yep think the post two above might belong to »New gas water heater but water lukewarm-HELP!

You are right.... This is the low water pressure thread.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by StillLearn:

said by dcurrey:

You are right.... This is the low water pressure thread.

Yeah dude, you had me confused for a second there.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
I see a new water heater in your future.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

I'm already thinking tankless.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to Bob4

Mod

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

To add to Goofy's post... For a period of time, water heater manufacturers were using an inappropriate material for their dip tubes, which resulted in them failing prematurely.

Yep, drove me crazy around here. All the aerators clogged with what looked like a white fine gravel. Years later a dishwasher had problems and had to taken apart because of it. I suspect I will one day run into something around here that still has that crap in it.

Edit: The first symptom was running out of hot water too early.Then all the faucets got clogged up. Put in a new heater.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

I'm looking at home depot for a tankless water heater. But I'm not sure what would be a good replacement. W/H I have now is:

- 50 Gal
-240 Volts

I'm not sure what else I would need to know in order to replace it with a proper tankless.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

You are not going to find an electric tank less heater. The instantaneous current consumption is astronomical.

If you have NG or Propane then it may be an option.

The standby losses are a well insulated electric tank are minor since there is no flue.

/tom

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

1 edit

dcurrey

Premium Member

Unless gas tankless is not really an option. Think tankless also have some installation requirements like they need to be placed on outside wall for proper venting. Not sure about that however.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Even tankless isn't that great. I ended up having to add a 50 gallon tank as storage to the tankless system to handle peak demand.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

said by onebadmofo:

Even tankless isn't that great. I ended up having to add a 50 gallon tank as storage to the tankless system to handle peak demand.

What would you consider peak demand?
cause it's only me and my wife that live here. We have a dish washer that's used once a week. And a Washing machine that's used once a week as well.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by onebadmofo:

said by Draiman:

said by onebadmofo:

What would you consider peak demand?
cause it's only me and my wife that live here. We have a dish washer that's used once a week. And a Washing machine that's used once a week as well.

It all depends on the volume of hot water you use. That's affected by how much water the faucets, shower heads, etc. use aka gpm or gallons per minute. A shower head can use anywhere between 1.5 to 5.5 gpm's. If you have 2 showers going with 1.5's you're only using 3 gpm's but if you have 2 showers going with 5.5 gpm heads your using 11 gpm's! Normally a tankless will have a gpm rating. You might pick a lower rated gpm unit since there is only 2 of you but if you sell the house the next owners might have kids so they need to install a water heater as a storage tank to augment the tankless system. It's hard to say without a complete picture.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to onebadmofo

MVM

to onebadmofo
You don't happen to have a water tank on your roof, do you?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by cdru:

You don't happen to have a water tank on your roof, do you?

onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Premium Member

So I'm looking at this and it seems like it would work for me. But what do I know.
»www.homedepot.com/webapp ··· WidgetID

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by onebadmofo:

So I'm looking at this and it seems like it would work for me. But what do I know.
»www.homedepot.com/webapp ··· WidgetID

Did you look at the specs on that unit? It shows the gpm flow based on the unheated water temp. If your water is 40 degrees for example and you want 110 degree shower that's an increase/rise of 70 degrees so that unit can only sustain 1.59 gpm's at that rate. It means you need a low flow water saver shower head and nothing else can be running to get the proper water temp. That will vary based on the water temp so in the Summer you'll be much better off but in the Winter you'll peak it out easy.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to onebadmofo

MVM

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

So I'm looking at this and it seems like it would work for me.

You realize 18Kw is 75A at 240 volts and will barely produce enough hot water for one shower if your incoming water is already pretty warm.

By way of comparison tank type water heaters are typically 3800 or 5500 watts.

/tom

shdesigns