uniqs
DAVIDGR
join:2005-03-08
Mount Pleasant, SC

DAVIDGR

50/25 Upgrade for $10/month

As posted on Twitter

Verizon @Verizon
FiOS Internet customers craving faster speed can get it quicker, easier than ever. See how on the new FiOS TV ch. 500: »vz.to/15pu5LY

More info:
»newscenter.verizon.com/r ··· ntum-50/

shadowcaster1
join:2008-04-21
Dix Hills,NY

1 edit

shadowcaster1

Here on LI., I just found the option on ch 557.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to DAVIDGR

to DAVIDGR
I wonder if that applies to business accounts, or residential only.

I'm on a heavily fluffed 15/5 biz connection (my 2 year contract ended a long time ago, on month-to-month now). I would jump on 50/25 if it was really and truly only $10 more than I'm currently paying.

I hesitate to call VZ, because I don't want to rock the boat. Once upon a time, I called (another company) about a (non-VZ) service I'd had for years and was happy with. Rep looked at my account, noticed I was over-provisioned for the tier I was paying, and had my service level "corrected".

Learned my lesson on that one, never to rock the boat if you have a good thing going.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Not sure I understand this "upgrade"

wasn't it only 10 bucks to go from 15/5 to 50/25 already?

I been on 15/5, 50/25 and 75/35 and never paid more than 20 bucks moving around ..

»New Tiers - The Real Speeds - Check before you updgrade
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to DAVIDGR

to DAVIDGR
I pay $62 a month for 15/5 I don't see the point of upgrading for $10. I rather put the extra cash in my pocket.
tembit
join:2008-09-03

1 edit

tembit

I've been paying $46 for the 25/25 package, so for $10 ($15 w/ tax) more per month, I jumped on this. Of course, we'll see if they actually manage to follow through.

Update: Just ran a speed test (10 minutes after getting off the phone). 57.92Mbps up and 38.81Mbps down. I really hope they keep the fluff and don't screw up the bill!
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Are you bundled? This price seems low for just internet service.
tembit

tembit

Unbundled.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

The price is 10 bucks over the current standard rates, not over what you happen to pay now, so you will be 79 month plus taxes?
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

I pay $62.99 after tax for my 15/5 this is because I am on a 2 year contract.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to DAVIDGR

to DAVIDGR
I ordered the upgrade through my TV(STB) and I have already gotten the confirmation that the upgrade has been completed.

However, when I run my speakeasy test, it still shows my old speed tier (25/25).

Do I need to reboot my router to see the new speeds?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

No, its all on Verizon's side ..

When you did the upgrade, did they explain ( TV message ) what the new charges would be? in the past Verizon could only upgrade to a current package and at that's packages price

I'm wondering if there are going to be allot of unhappy people that do the upgrade expecting a 10 dollar increase in there bill, instead of a 10 dollar increase for the current package pricing which is all Verizon has done in the past
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit

navyson

It did say that it is a $10 addition to your current bill and it will be clearly stated.

It does not change or extend your current contract and you can cancel it at any time.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Then that is new ... and a first for Verizon .. and answer the question I asked was going from 15/5 to 50/25 was only 10 bucks when I did that a few months ago, but that was a new contract so whats the big deal now?

So out of contract or discounted accounts can make a pain free upgrade .. sounds to go to be true for Verizon
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by guppy_fish:

Then that is new ... and a first for Verizon .. and answer the question I asked was going from 15/5 to 50/25 was only 10 bucks when I did that a few months ago, but that was a new contract so whats the big deal now?

So out of contract or discounted accounts can make a pain free upgrade .. sounds to go to be true for Verizon

I think they are just constsantly changing up what they do. $10 extra for twice as much speed with no additional contract is good for me.

I actually don't mind contract if the service is good. I have both Verizon FIOS internet/TV and Verizon Wireless and even though I pay through my teeth for both services(FIOS $135) and $110 with Wireless, I am extremely happy with both services.
tembit

tembit to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

No, its all on Verizon's side ..

When you did the upgrade, did they explain ( TV message ) what the new charges would be? in the past Verizon could only upgrade to a current package and at that's packages price

I'm wondering if there are going to be allot of unhappy people that do the upgrade expecting a 10 dollar increase in there bill, instead of a 10 dollar increase for the current package pricing which is all Verizon has done in the past

I did it over the phone and the agent was able to clearly tell me what my new total would be (current + $15). If that isn't the case, they will surely be hearing from lots of irate customers, including me.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to DAVIDGR

to DAVIDGR
I pay $50 for 150/75 this is a downgrade
tembit

tembit

said by HardwareGeek:

I pay $50 for 150/75 this is a downgrade

Unbundled?

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

bundled.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to DAVIDGR

to DAVIDGR
They offered me 5 dollars extra in that tier when I got my service so I took it bundled with phone service

shadowcaster1
join:2008-04-21
Dix Hills,NY

1 edit

shadowcaster1 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
quote:
said by guppy_fish See ProfileSo out of contract or discounted accounts can make a pain free upgrade .. sounds to go to be true for Verizon

It is too good to be true for me. I just called VZ and was advised that the ch 500/557 upgrade is a la carte and not a change to the bundle-a good thing. However, inspite of being visible to me on that ch, the agent advised me that the a la carte option was not available in my area.

And, yes, I'm chicken to test/try selecting the ch all the way, only to find I lose FE phone.

Edit: The vzn csr was full of it when she stated not available in my area. From the link in the op : "Starting today, all existing FiOS Internet customers can upgrade to our entry level FiOS Quantum tier of 50/25 Mbps tier for just $10 more a month and keep the speed for as long as they wish."

Anon43
@vzbi.com

Anon43 to tembit

Anon

to tembit
He's just wanting you to ask about his once-in-a-lifetime-not-going-to-happen-again steal of a bundle
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to DAVIDGR

to DAVIDGR
My speed update just went through.

I went from 25/25 to 50/25.

My hardwired deskstop speedtest using speakeasy gets me 52/22

My laptop using a Trendent WAP still only gives me 25/25.

What do I need to do to get my full speed using wireless?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Wireless N router and radios in the clients ( PC /XBOX ? Phone ect )

25/25 is best case for Wireless G
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by guppy_fish:

Wireless N router and radios in the clients ( PC /XBOX ? Phone ect )

25/25 is best case for Wireless G

Trendnet WAP is wireless N

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to shadowcaster1

Premium Member

to shadowcaster1
said by shadowcaster1:

And, yes, I'm chicken to test/try selecting the ch all the way, only to find I lose FE phone.

Hey McFly, are you Chicken?, buc buc buc

No one calls me Chicken ( pushes remote button )

In case you don't get the humor, its from the Back to the future movies
guppy_fish

guppy_fish to navyson

Premium Member

to navyson
So its likely your clients don't have wireless N or your in a congested area ( wireless network wise )
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by guppy_fish:

So its likely your clients don't have wireless N or your in acongested area ( wireless network wise )

What do you mean your clients don't have wireless N?

I don't believe I have a congested issue since I got a full 25/25 on my laptop when I had the 25/25 service.

Maybe I need to reboot/reconfigure the Trendnet WAP? So far I only unplugged and and waited a minute. It may nee a full reboot.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

25/25 is Wireless "G" speeds

Both sides need to be wireless "N" for higher speeds, the router and the other end ( computer , xbox ect are called clients )

You can check the admin page on the Trendnet and make sure "N" is enabled. Also, having mixed mode ( both "G" and "N" ) a single "G" client will slow down everything to "G" speeds
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

Trendnet WAP is Wireless N. Brand new laptop with wireless N.