Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone

Re: Path of Exile

said by Ghastlyone:

I'm trying another class.

Fun to do regardless if you come back to your witch or not. Personally, I'm not into the whole "race to the top" thing. I was playing the duelist last night as a break and am loving him so far. I have one of each class I'll play here and there just to keep things fresh. I enjoy doing it that way.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Raible:

said by Ghastlyone:

Fun to do regardless if you come back to your witch or not. Personally, I'm not into the whole "race to the top" thing. I was playing the duelist last night as a break and am loving him so far. I have one of each class I'll play here and there just to keep things fresh. I enjoy doing it that way.

Yeah I feel like I'm going very slowly on my main.. He is only level 33 now, just hit Act 3, but he's wrecking shit so far (elemental damage duelist dw). I've got a marauder tank (mace and shield) I'm running with Koil See Profile's shadow and I think we are somewhere around level 20. It seemed like we were levelling like every 10 minutes.

BTW the Marauder is super tanky at the beginning of his tree, equip a shield and just stand in the middle of a group of mobs and watch your health not get below 3/4.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible
said by Raible:

said by Ghastlyone:

I started a Duelist. It's rough at first. You only have a main "white" attack, and a cleave. Cleave uses a shit ton of mana. So you're left just using a normal attack.

It felt, very slow and inefficient. I'll play it some more though. I'm sure it'll get better.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Raible:

said by Ghastlyone:

I started a Duelist. It's rough at first. You only have a main "white" attack, and a cleave. Cleave uses a shit ton of mana. So you're left just using a normal attack.

It felt, very slow and inefficient. I'll play it some more though. I'm sure it'll get better.

Here's what I'm doing on my duelist and am loving it:

I still use Cleave, paired with Life Gain on Hit and Increased Cold Damage support gems. I'm using two stilleto type swords which have around 1.7 attacks per second (as well as cold damage) and am speccing into attack speed and elemental damage in the passive tree. He is fast. I just got Frenzy and Frostbite. I throw the curse, hit Frenzy a couple of times to increase my speed, and it takes two to three Cleave hits max to kill most mobs close to my level. The only thing that sucks is he can't take heavy damage without constantly using Cleave to regain life; if you're not keeping an eye on mana it can be easy to die if you run out. (EDIT: I also use Flicker Strike to close the gap on groups of ranged baddies; they can ruin your day as well). I am running 3 mana pots and 2 health pots.

Thanks for the heads up on the gems guys. I have been just levelling them up every time. I'm looking on the skill tooltip and the amount of mana for Cleave doesn't seem to go up after I level it, even though I have two support gems attached. What am I missing?

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible

said by TheBionic:

Cleave doesn't seem to go up after I level it, even though I have two support gems attached. What am I missing?

If you go to the wiki, they have the leveling charts on a lot of the gems. If you are using a skill gem you think you will be using for the career of your character, it may be worth the 5 minutes to do some research and check these charts out.

For example, Cleave is 7M (1-5), 8M (6-10), 9M (11-15), & 10M (16--). So, if you are already starting to get into some mana management issues, leaving Cleave at 5 or 10 for a while longer may be a good idea.

The big ones that get you in trouble though are the damn mana reserved gems. Those are party gems though and a well built party with a cross functional set of auras is a HUGE help.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Raible:

said by TheBionic:

Cleave doesn't seem to go up after I level it, even though I have two support gems attached. What am I missing?

If you go to the wiki, they have the leveling charts on a lot of the gems. If you are using a skill gem you think you will be using for the career of your character, it may be worth the 5 minutes to do some research and check these charts out.

For example, Cleave is 7M (1-5), 8M (6-10), 9M (11-15), & 10M (16--). So, if you are already starting to get into some mana management issues, leaving Cleave at 5 or 10 for a while longer may be a good idea.

The big ones that get you in trouble though are the damn mana reserved gems. Those are party gems though and a well built party with a cross functional set of auras is a HUGE help.

Thank you! And 5 minutes of research...ha! I've been playing for two weeks now according to /age and still only understand the surface of what is going on in this game. Not really having mana problems; I can definitely make due with two pots and don't have to use them too often. The third is insurance.