Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Fir_Na_Tine

MVM

to Fir_Na_Tine

Re: The Walking Dead

Yeah, another slow episode for the most part. I very much enjoyed the action at the end though. I won't get too much into the episode but I will say that Glenn left to check the perimeter because they knew of a breach cited by Tyreese (Ty) and his group (as noted not seen in this episode but probably locked up at the time as they don't have free run of the prison).

I don't want to pick apart the show, I'll just add that anyone who has fired a weapon of this sort knows that a right handed shooter would aim with their right eye and a left handed shooter would aim with their left eye. The Governor is right handed and has a missing right eye. Therefore the Governor shouldn't be able to hit anything with any degree of accuracy at an appreciable distance,.....unless maybe its the side of a barn,.....a very large barn.

I'll also add that the eye the Governor lost must have grown back in the back of his head since he can apparently see walkers coming up behind him.

It's about time we started to see walkers used as a weapon. I'm just waiting to see them used as a power source now,.....

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm

said by Octavean:

...Tyreese (Ty) and his group (as noted not seen in this episode but probably locked up at the time as they don't have free run of the prison).

Just as a note: I watched The Talking Dead (or whatever that after-show is called) and they had the creator of the show(forget his name) and he confirmed that Ty and his group are NOT in the prison at all at this time. They left when Rick started seeing his wife at the end of the other episode.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

That's too bad then. Because its very disjointed given that they didn't actually show them leave between the two episodes. There is no reason to leave such a thing to the assumption of the viewer and I didn't see or hear any clues to this effect given.

In the book Rick and Tyreese were fast friends and they met on the road before going to the prison. He was a prominent character and he came to a prominent end. I suspect this wont be the last we see of him. Maybe he will come back and save their collective arses during an attack at the prison.

I'm still very disappointed with the onscreen depiction of the Governor. He is still just a watered down relatively uninteresting shadow of the book version IMO.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I don't want to pick apart the show, I'll just add that anyone who has fired a weapon of this sort knows that a right handed shooter would aim with their right eye and a left handed shooter would aim with their left eye. The Governor is right handed and has a missing right eye. Therefore the Governor shouldn't be able to hit anything with any degree of accuracy at an appreciable distance,.....unless maybe its the side of a barn,.....a very large barn.

Cross-Dominance. Right handed yet left eye dominant.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I hear what you are saying but there are physical limitation to the proper use of small firearms which doesn't lend well to this notion. For example how does one achieve a proper "cheek to stock weld" or similar firing stance, if they are right handed and only have a left eye,....?

Without the use of special modifications, typical sight / scope design for small arms are for left or right body centric usage not both.

If you look at the footage you'll see its difficult for them to make it look right. The first shot of the Governor during the attack was at a distance but experienced shooters will note that the head and left forearm were most prominently in view. Since the left forearm supports the rifle stock in right handed shooters its clear even at a blurry distance how the weapon was being held,.... In this case it was being held with a typical right handed cheek to stock weld "like stance" with the scope held up to a nonexistent or nonfunctional right eye (left hand closest to right side of the head). When they zoomed in they changed his stance to suggest otherwise. There also were a lot of bravado shots not aimed at any particular target,...which was about as accurate as he should be able to get in his condition.

Anyway, its not a big deal IMO,.....
Octavean

Octavean to Chaplain

MVM

to Chaplain
I hear what you are saying but there are physical limitation to the proper use of small firearms which doesn't lend well to this notion. For example how does one achieve a proper "cheek to stock weld" or similar firing stance, if they are right handed and only have a left eye,....?

Without the use of special modifications, typical sight / scope design for small arms are for left or right body centric usage not both.

If you look at the footage you'll see its difficult for them to make it look right. The first shot of the Governor during the attack was at a distance but experienced shooters will note that the head and left forearm were most prominently in view. Since the left forearm supports the rifle stock in right handed shooters its clear even at a blurry distance how the weapon was being held,.... In this case it was being held with a typical right handed cheek to stock weld "like stance" with the scope held up to a nonexistent or nonfunctional right eye (left hand and right hand closest to right side of the head). When they zoomed in they changed his stance to suggest otherwise. There also were a lot of bravado shots not aimed at any particular target,...which was about as accurate as he should be able to get in his condition.

Anyway, its not a big deal IMO,.....

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

It's really not a big deal, but I didn't notice him sighting in with the non-existent eye. I'll have to rewatch.

Guess he has to start over learning to fire from the other shoulder.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Chaplain:

It's really not a big deal, but I didn't notice him sighting in with the non-existent eye. I'll have to rewatch.

Like I said the first view of the Governor was at a distance so its blurry. Its little more then a left forearm and a head but its enough to tell how the weapon was bing held.
said by Chaplain:

Guess he has to start over learning to fire from the other shoulder.

My thoughts exactly,....

Either that or he always had so odd unnatural way of firing a weapon,...