uniqs

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

[OS X] OS X install disc - license ?

How does the licensing with Apple's OS X install discs work ? I have the original discs for my iMac for 10.6.2 and was wondering if they can be used on my co-worker's MacBook. Not trying to do anything illegal, mind you. I'm thinking that other than Hackintosh machines, you really can't use them on anything but Macs so they may be "interchangeable".

Obviously he does NOT have the install discs.

Can these discs be used ? The other option is to make a bootable device with 10.8.x that we have.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Hall:

How does the licensing with Apple's OS X install discs work ? I have the original discs for my iMac for 10.6.2 and was wondering if they can be used on my co-worker's MacBook. Not trying to do anything illegal, mind you. I'm thinking that other than Hackintosh machines, you really can't use them on anything but Macs so they may be "interchangeable".

Obviously he does NOT have the install discs.

Can these discs be used ? The other option is to make a bootable device with 10.8.x that we have.

»support.apple.com/kb/ht4491

The installation disk coming with a computer is for that computer model only, and I would not expect this to work.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Okay, sounds about right.... I searched the disc's part # and it is used on many different machines, all iMacs and a few Mac Pro machines, but NO laptops. The listing I found isn't 100% accurate though as my machine isn't listed.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to Hall

to Hall
They have to be the same exact model. So an 09 macbook disc won't work for a '11 macbook. However, he can Apple and get replacement discs for $16 a piece.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I suspect we'll go the route of making a bootable USB flash drive version of 10.8.x at this point.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to Hall

to Hall
Warning, about the flash drive and 10.8. Before it will install you will have to provide an Apple ID and password and that account will have to have purchased 10.8 or it won't install.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Not a problem...

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to kitsune

Premium Member

to kitsune
said by kitsune:

Warning, about the flash drive and 10.8. Before it will install you will have to provide an Apple ID and password and that account will have to have purchased 10.8 or it won't install.

They only ask for Apple ID if you are installing from a recovery partition.

If you make a bootable flash disk from the InstallESD.dmg image it does not ask for Apple ID.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Hall

Mod

to Hall
There are also 5 installs I think per Apple ID? I think that's new.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Not a problem...