telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to beachintech

MVM

to beachintech

Re: the weather channel local on the 8s hd, when?

said by beachintech:

No, I forsee the Weather Channel going the way of the TV Guide channel just to stay on the air down the line. You can get better information online or with a smart phone.

Yes, I agree. Except for a few hours in the morning, it seems everytime I try tuning in now during the day or evening, there seems to be some kind of non-forecast documentary program on, with some of the latest ones seeming to have only a minor relationship to weather (like "Lifeguard!").

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Yea and reef wranglers. It's a shame it is going this way. Comcast needs to come up with another weather channel for the people who don't have the internet or smart phones. There are alot of older people who don't even own a computer. They rely on stations like the weather channel for their information.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Here in the Chicago area, a local broadcast station recently started carrying WeatherNation TV, and Comcast does have it. It even has a bottom bar like TWC, but includes a little radar. There is even an occasional full-screen setup. Being broadcast, it's more general Chicago and not completely local, but it's better than nothing.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Yea and reef wranglers. It's a shame it is going this way. Comcast needs to come up with another weather channel for the people who don't have the internet or smart phones. There are alot of older people who don't even own a computer. They rely on stations like the weather channel for their information.

those people dont NEED it in HD like you. they are happy with SD.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
Doesn't your box guide have a "Local Weather" menu?

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

these older people have no idea about menus. They just turn on the tv and watch it. Some of them just use dtas. I wasn't talking about HD. I was talking about a weather channel that actually IS about the weather 24/7 like weather plus was not the weather documentary channel we have now.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Older people tend to go outside or watch the local news if they want the local weather...

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

these older people have no idea about menus. They just turn on the tv and watch it. Some of them just use dtas. I wasn't talking about HD. I was talking about a weather channel that actually IS about the weather 24/7 like weather plus was not the weather documentary channel we have now.

weatherscan.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by gar187er:

said by mikedz4:

weatherscan.

As mentioned, Weatherscan is typically in the Preferred package, which is more $$$, and not available on DTA's, which are generally restricted to Starter, even if you have Preferred on regular boxes.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

Last time i checked HD isnt free either. people can watch their local channels if need be, thats what we use to have to do before TWC came along.
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Older people tend to go outside or watch the local news if they want the local weather...

Mike's definition of older people - anyone over 18...

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

people in the 60s 70s and 80s. Quite a few don't have a computer and the weather changes between newscasts or perhaps they have a meeting during the newscast. Also some don't have digital preferred which is required to get weatherscan in some areas.
Of course comcast and nbc are ONLY worried about money and they wrongly ASSUME everyone has a computer or access to the internet these days.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

If there is something important happening, every local news station covers it, as well as local radio stations. "Old people" can find the weather just fine without TWC or internet.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by beachintech:

No, I forsee the Weather Channel going the way of the TV Guide channel just to stay on the air down the line. You can get better information online or with a smart phone.

Yes, I agree. Except for a few hours in the morning, it seems everytime I try tuning in now during the day or evening, there seems to be some kind of non-forecast documentary program on, with some of the latest ones seeming to have only a minor relationship to weather (like "Lifeguard!").

Well, starting this fall, it looks like there will be even more airtime taken up with these type of programs:

Weather Channel Announces Five New Series
Network planning new morning show, enhanced local forecasts for fall

By Andrea Morabito, Broadcasting & Cable - April 3, 2013
»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· ries.php

"The Weather Channel is planning for 2013-14 to be a season of transformation for the network, which will include 20 primetime series, up from eight in 2012."

As far as what's happening with Local on the 8s, I don't know if the HD version will become available on any more Comcast systems, but the article also says:

"Weather Channel is also investing in its "Local on the 8s" infrastructure to present on-camera meteorologists with more locally relevant forecasts."

and a similar article in the NY Times »mediadecoder.blogs.nytim ··· ertisers about the coming changes says:
For instance, there will be a revamping of the forecasts known as “Local on the 8s,” Mr. Clark said, and a customization of coverage so that while viewers in markets affected by severe local weather are watching coverage of that news, viewers in other, unaffected markets will be able to continue watching regular programming.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Wow more series on TWC? Classic case of Network Decay!

They just need to put an on screen prompt to push a button to get weather. I have no issue with that on DirecTV.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

Wow more series on TWC? Classic case of Network Decay!

They just need to put an on screen prompt to push a button to get weather. I have no issue with that on DirecTV.

I just switched my TV to DirecTV and they put the local on the 8's on at the receiver level as DirecTV uses a single transmission point for the whole country.

Maybe Comcast could push a software update to their receivers so the local on the 8's is put on at the receiver instead of at the headend. Many times the headend is in one city and the customer is in another city. Where I live, the headend is in Westfield but I live in Springfield (MA) and those are separate forecast zones in the eyes of the National Weather Service due to terrain.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to telcodad

to telcodad
customization of coverage so that while viewers in markets affected by severe local weather are watching coverage of that news.

Will that be SD only??

Will dish and directv have alt feed for that?

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I say make it the weather documentary channel and split off a REAL WEATHER channel. I like the documentaries and all but I don't tune into the weather channel to watch documentaries. I tune into the weather channel to watch weather.
Maybe it's time for fox or someone to come up with a real weather channel to take on the weather "documentary" channel?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to gar187er

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

said by mikedz4:

those people dont NEED it in HD like you. they are happy with SD.

But The Weather Channel is so visually stunning in HD though.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
The Weather Channel is more of a low-budget reality channel than a documentary channel.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

There was a website called Jump The Shark a few years ago about TV shows gone from good to bad like MTV going from music videos to Beavis & Butthead or Home Improvement when the boys got older.

The Weather Channels has definitely jumped the shark.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

How much do they actually do live weather? Every time I turn it on I see reality shows.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The weather channel has gotten so bad that I barely watch it. They play the same rerun of Lifeguard for the 500th time this month.

I watch Fox News and that is better than the weather channel. They could have 24 hour live programming by hiring non-meteorologists to read the weather off a TelePrompTer or a script and use the forecasts prepared by the NWS.