Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shadowcaster1

join:2008-04-21
Dix Hills,NY

[Northeast] 50/25 Upgrade questions

:
1. Whenever I call vz, they tell me that any change I make will require going from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice. Will that happen using the channel 500/557 uprade option?

2. I'm currently on 25/15, Actiontec M1424-WR Rev D. Will the router be able to handle 50/25?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by shadowcaster1:

:
1. Whenever I call vz, they tell me that any change I make will require going from Freedom Essentials to Digital Voice. Will that happen using the channel 500/557 uprade option?

2. I'm currently on 25/15, Actiontec M1424-WR Rev D. Will the router be able to handle 50/25?

1) Would be the same thing, your changing your package, mouse click, remote button push, talk to a rep are different means for the same end

2) Rev D router is good for 100mb, wired performance would not be restricted by that router

shadowcaster1

Dix Hills,NY

1 edit
Thanks for the response....I was afraid of that phone switch.(my wife is toatally against having to dial the ac for local calls)
And, no mention of it here : »newscenter.verizon.com/residenti···ntum-50/

I asked because whenever I called, the only way to upgrade the speed was to change to a package that offered it. No mention of a $10.00 option, untill I saw the tv ch 557.

How about wireless perormance ?

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Wireless for that router is about 24mbs maximum, best case, its wireless "G"

But even if you get a new router with "N" both the router and clients ( laptop / game box ect ) have to be capable of that or no improvement over the "G" speeds

shadowcaster1

Dix Hills,NY
The only wireless client is my wife's Lenovo T-520 which has Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 Wireless NIC card.

However, may be a moot point ( see my edited post above your previous post)

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Make the change, claim you didn't know, she can blame Verizon and get into the 21th Century for dialing

shadowcaster1

Dix Hills,NY

4 edits
Well, I called VZ and if that ch 500/557 a la carte $10 upgrade was available in my area (and it's not-in spite of being on the ch) it would not require me to take Digital Voice, only if a change to the "bundle" was being made.

Edit: Pulled the trigger today, after talking to tech support (csr's really don't know what they're talking about), who assured me it was available. Did it on the tv and 15min later had the upgrade. Now 58/38 @ Speedtest.net.

shadowcaster1

Dix Hills,NY

2 edits
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Wireless for that router (rev D) is about 24mbs maximum, best case, its wireless "G"

But even if you get a new router with "N" both the router and clients ( laptop / game box ect ) have to be capable of that or no improvement over the "G" speeds

Ok, I have 50/25 (+ my wife's N capable laptop) I can awap my Rev D router at my local Vz store for a Rev F (refurb). For a Rev I, I'd have to purchase it @ $79.99 (not bad actually)

Edit : I just realized that I have a MS Access point in the attic, that the laptop accesses wirelesly, not the Actiontech directly.
Will that limit speeds to "G" ?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by shadowcaster1:

The newest they have in stock is Rev G.

Rev. G routers are nearly identical feature wise to the rev. I.
»/r0/download/2···pecs.jpg
However, rev. G routers are rare. I'd be careful that they are not telling you they have an 802.11"G" router. I've seen CSRs make this mistake more than once.
said by shadowcaster1:

Is that Rev sufficent/best for our needs ?

The rev. G or rev. I is perfectly adequate unless you need your wireless devices to run at 300Mbps.
said by shadowcaster1:

I just realized that I have a MS Access point in the attic, that the laptop accesses wirelesly, not the Actiontech directly.

Not if you put them on different channels.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

shadowcaster1

Dix Hills,NY

2 edits
said by More Fiber:

However, rev. G routers are rare. I'd be careful that they are not telling you they have an 802.11"G" router. I've seen CSRs make this mistake more than once.

said by shadowcaster1:

I just realized that I have a MS Access point in the attic, that the laptop accesses wirelesly, not the Actiontech directly.

Not if you put them on different channels.

Thanks for the reponses. It wasn't a csr that told me that. I called the Fios store directly and was very specific that it was Rev G I was looking for.

Edit : turns out that it was Rev F they had for exchange, "I" for purchase, as above.

I've since pulled the Microsoft manual for the base station I'm using as an access point. It's a model MN-820 Wireless-G Kit.
So, I believe I'll need to upgrade it to a wireless N to get higher speeds on the laptop. (the Actiontech won't reach our den wirelessly-that's why the MS is wired from there to the attic, above the den)