spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

JH28

@bankofamerica.com

Re: What do we want from Verizon in 2013?

1. dvr with more than 2 tuners
2. some hd channels that most other good systems have that we are missing. top of my list would be H2 and CBS Sports Network.

Expand your moderator at work

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA
reply to JH28

Re: What do we want from Verizon in 2013?

1----Beat TIVO to the punch and introduce the Media Server and the associated IPC1100, before TIVO comes out with their MINI box.

2----A less agonizing roll-out process for any new product or service.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to Webcobbler

How do you like just ethernet instead of using Coax? I like the fact you can use your own router.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

said by brianiscool:

How do you like just ethernet instead of using Coax? I like the fact you can use your own router.

Do you mean wireless vs. coax? It would be pointless to connect your STB's to the media server via Ethernet, since homes are already run with coax.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

said by Greg2600:

said by brianiscool:

Do you mean wireless vs. coax? It would be pointless to connect your STB's to the media server via Ethernet, since homes are already run with coax.

Ethernet STBs with 3rd party Router FTW !

brianiscool

Tampa, FL
reply to Greg2600

You can get rid of the coax if you don't have cable. Then have them run ethernet right to the box inside your house.

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

said by brianiscool:

You do not see the larger picture with Ethernet, I would prefer a STB that only had 2 cables on the back of it, 1 Ethernet (Gigabit + PoE so no stupid power bricks) and 1 HDMI in a box small enough that it can be tucked behind a flat screen on the wall out of sight.

Then look ahead at some of the newer standards that are being proposed and you will see HDMI replaced with HDBaseT and at that point you can have 1 box that can run several TVs from a remote location in the house all over standard Cat5e/Cat6 connections plugged directly into a TV/Monitor.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to navyson

I have no problem with having more options, but there's no chance 99% of existing coax homes will be changed over to Ethernet. It's not worth the cost or hassle. Coax must continue to be an option. But it would be a big saver in new construction and apartment buildings.

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to navyson

What do I want from VZ in 2013? I want them to read, and then respond to, the letter I wrote them 6 months ago asking for a refund/credit for the ~$100 they incorrectly charged me over the course of the previous year.

dw

incognito_2u

join:2005-03-15
Malverne, NY
reply to navyson

A Home Media DVR capable of recording at least 4 programs simultaneously while still watching another program, and the "NFL Sunday Ticket"............

Ah, Nirvana!!!!
--
"I'm an Analog guy in a Digital World!"

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

The Data side to support IPTV isn't unlimited, at 10 mbs stream they would dwarf NetFlix usage, which according to recent articles is video is approaching 50% of all network traffic

As if TV service works by magic. AT&T doesn't cap the hours you can watch TV..
Does Verizon cut you off from watching TV if you're watching it too much?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by 34764170:

As if TV service works by magic. AT&T doesn't cap the hours you can watch TV..
Does Verizon cut you off from watching TV if you're watching it too much?

Um, actually, there ARE limits on UVerse, last I read the internet is capped below the slowest quantum FIOS tier, you can only have one or two HD stream per household and the video is horribly over compressed to minimize the bandwidth as its delivered by vdsl2.

Just think if FIOS was all IP, your looking at 4 million households streaming 10mbs per mpeg4 stream, even with optical, the last mile would be a stretch to support that many concurrent users

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to incognito_2u

said by incognito_2u:

A Home Media DVR capable of recording at least 4 programs simultaneously while still watching another program, and the "NFL Sunday Ticket"............

Ah, Nirvana!!!!

DirecTV has exclusive rights for Sunday Ticket through the 2014 season so you can cross that one off.
--
Verizon is becoming the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
reply to navyson

I would be happy with the same channels, Internet and phone...

At the same price or close to what I am paying now. In Oct or Nov some of my 1 year credits go away. I hope can get another deal.

I am happy with the service over all. If they come out with that new 6 tuner PVR thing even better. But my guess it will be too expensive per month for my blood.

Currently have a Tivo Premiere and Verizon 7232 (setup for multiroom). 4 tuners is plenty for me.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I can't wrap my brain around this voracious need for a six-tuner media server. The appeal of the six tuners is understandable, don't get me wrong, but having them all on one device, giving you one point of complete failure? Eh, I'm not embracing that idea.

Basically - if I understand this correctly - should the media server STB go out, you can't watch TV anywhere in your home with a slave box that relies on the media server being active. Correct? Where as with multiple DVRs and STBs if one goes out (unless you have only one) you're able to watch on any other DVR or STB.

Unless the media server leads to a dramatic decrease in price, which I doubt, I'll stick with a multiple DVR/STB set up.

Just a couple new HD channels is all I want in 2013. Oh and for my neighborhood to go GPON so I can upgrade beyond 50/35.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
reply to navyson

TCM HD

Etobicoke, ON
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

Um, actually, there ARE limits on UVerse, last I read the internet is capped below the slowest quantum FIOS tier, you can only have one or two HD stream per household and the video is horribly over compressed to minimize the bandwidth as its delivered by vdsl2.

Doesn't change the fact that you're not limited to the number of hours you can watch TV. AT&T does not put a cap on the amount of data provided to the IPTV side of their service and thus does not limit the number of hours you can watch.

FiOS != VDSL2.

said by guppy_fish:

Just think if FIOS was all IP, your looking at 4 million households streaming 10mbs per mpeg4 stream, even with optical, the last mile would be a stretch to support that many concurrent users

Yes, because regular means of delivering TV works magic but switching to IP and the whole system will collapse. You have no idea what you're talking about.

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

You need to do some research before making stupid statements like that. The technology called Multicast has been around since the 80s and used in other applications (Imaging thousands of PCs for one) before being used in large scale video streaming starting around 2000.

Using your logic no network in the world could handle 4 million 10Mbps streams yet I can name 2 LARGE company's that do it right now, the first is ATT with UVerse and the second is Bell Canada with Fibe TV (Similar to FiOS in that they use FTTH as well as like ATT with a FTTN setup) and both use Multicast to accomplish it.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

FiOS != VDSL2.

Unless you're in a condo or apartment that VDSL (or VDSL2 if you're lucky enough to have a GPON MDU; I am not) is used for your internet service. Admittedly, it's only for internet, and its distance is from the phone room to your unit, but it's still VDSL or VDSL2. If Verizon were ever to make a move to IPTV, this could become an issue for these MDU configurations.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
reply to zippoboy7

said by zippoboy7:

Using your logic no network in the world could handle 4 million 10Mbps streams yet I can name 2 LARGE company's that do it right now, the first is ATT with UVerse and the second is Bell Canada with Fibe TV (Similar to FiOS in that they use FTTH as well as like ATT with a FTTN setup) and both use Multicast to accomplish it.

I was actually surprised to see that the XBox, Smart TV/Blu-Ray, and iPad apps all use unicast HTTP to stream the TV to your device, rather than multicast.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to mikev

That is not FiOS and all I meant by what I said is that FiOS does not have the same capacity constraints of VDSL2 with the speed tier AT&T is providing at the moment and even with the upgraded tiers they will be offering FiOS still has a huge advantage.

grecord

join:2002-01-06
Germantown, MD
reply to navyson

2way for Cable card users so we can do VoD

grecord

join:2002-01-06
Germantown, MD
reply to navyson

OTA tuners for Verision stb

brianiscool

Tampa, FL
reply to navyson

I want all cable channels to be streamed on the web for $10 a month.

StevenJB

join:2008-01-03
Olney, MD
reply to grecord

said by grecord:

That is an excellent idea. My DishNetwork STB had an OTA tuner which mapped all of my OTA channels onto the Dish channel listings. This would be extremely useful if you have an outdoor rooftop antenna that receives Baltimore OTA channels. Unfortunately, Verizon's local channel line-up for Washington metro does not include Baltimore OTA locals, some of the channels of the NoVA mhz networks, or several local digital sub-channels.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to grecord

said by grecord:

Uh no that's not happening. I can guarantee that one.

kennye

join:2009-02-05
Carrollton, TX

said by grecord:

Not sure why you would OTA via Verizon is required. I bought an indoor OTA antenna from Walmart for 30 bucks. This may not work for everyone. OTA picture quality always amazing me, compared to antenna TV when I was growing up.

My daughter could not comprehend that TV can come from someplace else besides cable. Must be a generational thing. A new TV was the bonus for my parents when they bought their first house. Back than, it was always snowing on TV.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to StevenJB

said by StevenJB:

said by grecord:

That is an excellent idea. My DishNetwork STB had an OTA tuner which mapped all of my OTA channels onto the Dish channel listings. This would be extremely useful if you have an outdoor rooftop antenna that receives Baltimore OTA channels. Unfortunately, Verizon's local channel line-up for Washington metro does not include Baltimore OTA locals, some of the channels of the NoVA mhz networks, or several local digital sub-channels.

Guess I am lucky. Here in AA County we get the 4 major DC locals plus PBS as well as all of the Baltimore locals.