share rss forum feed

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to 34764170

Re: What do we want from Verizon in 2013?

said by 34764170:

FiOS != VDSL2.

Unless you're in a condo or apartment that VDSL (or VDSL2 if you're lucky enough to have a GPON MDU; I am not) is used for your internet service. Admittedly, it's only for internet, and its distance is from the phone room to your unit, but it's still VDSL or VDSL2. If Verizon were ever to make a move to IPTV, this could become an issue for these MDU configurations.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to zippoboy7

said by zippoboy7:

Using your logic no network in the world could handle 4 million 10Mbps streams yet I can name 2 LARGE company's that do it right now, the first is ATT with UVerse and the second is Bell Canada with Fibe TV (Similar to FiOS in that they use FTTH as well as like ATT with a FTTN setup) and both use Multicast to accomplish it.

I was actually surprised to see that the XBox, Smart TV/Blu-Ray, and iPad apps all use unicast HTTP to stream the TV to your device, rather than multicast.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to mikev

That is not FiOS and all I meant by what I said is that FiOS does not have the same capacity constraints of VDSL2 with the speed tier AT&T is providing at the moment and even with the upgraded tiers they will be offering FiOS still has a huge advantage.

grecord

join:2002-01-06
Germantown, MD
reply to navyson

2way for Cable card users so we can do VoD

grecord

join:2002-01-06
Germantown, MD
reply to navyson

OTA tuners for Verision stb

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to navyson

I want all cable channels to be streamed on the web for $10 a month.

StevenJB

join:2008-01-03
Olney, MD
reply to grecord

said by grecord:

That is an excellent idea. My DishNetwork STB had an OTA tuner which mapped all of my OTA channels onto the Dish channel listings. This would be extremely useful if you have an outdoor rooftop antenna that receives Baltimore OTA channels. Unfortunately, Verizon's local channel line-up for Washington metro does not include Baltimore OTA locals, some of the channels of the NoVA mhz networks, or several local digital sub-channels.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to grecord

said by grecord:

Uh no that's not happening. I can guarantee that one.

kennye

join:2009-02-05
Carrollton, TX

said by grecord:

Not sure why you would OTA via Verizon is required. I bought an indoor OTA antenna from Walmart for 30 bucks. This may not work for everyone. OTA picture quality always amazing me, compared to antenna TV when I was growing up.

My daughter could not comprehend that TV can come from someplace else besides cable. Must be a generational thing. A new TV was the bonus for my parents when they bought their first house. Back than, it was always snowing on TV.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to StevenJB

said by StevenJB:

said by grecord:

That is an excellent idea. My DishNetwork STB had an OTA tuner which mapped all of my OTA channels onto the Dish channel listings. This would be extremely useful if you have an outdoor rooftop antenna that receives Baltimore OTA channels. Unfortunately, Verizon's local channel line-up for Washington metro does not include Baltimore OTA locals, some of the channels of the NoVA mhz networks, or several local digital sub-channels.

Guess I am lucky. Here in AA County we get the 4 major DC locals plus PBS as well as all of the Baltimore locals.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to navyson

As long as the thread is about dream features. How about free services or all. lol

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to crgauth

Anne Arundel County is a bit unique in this instance being in the middle and thus getting both Washington and Baltimore locals.

StevenJB

join:2008-01-03
Olney, MD

said by navyson:

Anne Arundel County is a bit unique in this instance being in the middle and thus getting both Washington and Baltimore locals.

My house is 15 miles from most of the Washington channels and 25 miles from the Baltimore channels. I can pull in Hagerstown and York, PA, all on digital OTA. Reception is not the problem. The problem is the inconvenience of my having to switch between OTA and FiOS.

What is really appalling is that the Washington/Baltimore region is treated like a red haired stepchild by the FCC. Washington and Baltimore are the only two major DMAs that have their own discrete television channels in the entire U.S. and are so very close to each other. Oakland/San Francisco or Dallas/Fort Worth or Minneapolis/St. Paul or Seattle/Tacoma each share a single set of channels. Baltimore and Washington each have just about every major or minor television or cable network of their own. At one time, in the 1980's, every cable system in the entire region carried both cities entire line-up of channels. But, no more. NBC4 doesn't want you to watch NBC11, just as ABC2 doesn't want you to watch ABC7. They each want you to patronize their own advertisers and sponsors. That is why no cable company in the Washington area will carry Baltimore locals and vice-versa. Why the FCC doesn't put its foot down and stop this restraint of trade is beyond my understanding. This is the only region of the entire U.S. in which a cable company does not carry a multitude of stations well within the traditional 75 mile radius (NFL blackout standard). Every cable company in the region can easily and effortlessly carry all of the locals from both cities but they refuse. I am surprised that Verizon carries both in Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, MD. DishNetwork and DirecTV refuse to do so. Howard County gets only Baltimore locals from Dish and DirecTV. If you cross into Montgomery Co. on MD 108, you can only receive Washington locals on Dish and DirecTV. It's crazy. There are Ravens season ticket holders living in Montgomery Co. who cannot watch the Ravens on Channel 13! There are Redskins fans living in Howard Co. who cannot watch the Redskins on Channel 5. I am fortunate. I have a powerful roof antenna with a distribution amplifier. Many others are not as fortunate. Again, I wish that the FCC would intervene in this matter and compel all carriers, both satellite as well as terrestrial cable, to treat all the channels as must-carry for the region for anyone within 50 to 75 miles from the transmitters. Do any of you attorneys with FCC regulations expertise have any compelling legal opinions, either pro or con?

Premium
join:2009-03-01
reply to navyson

Better wireless data plans... 2G usage and $30 extra / phone?!?!?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by 28619103:

Better wireless data plans... 2G usage and $30 extra / phone?!?!?

Way to set the bar ridiculously low.

Premium
join:2009-03-01

1 edit

I'm not asking for that... I am seriously questioning what we have right now (2G for $30?!?). Usage tiers need to dramatically increase relative to the speeds they are offering and shared data plan costs need to dramatically decrease.

If on average LTE can deliver 14Mbps (»www.speedtest.net/wave/76af0b8b0274b40f) that is about 1/2 of your average US cable ISP speed. Wireless speed increases have been following a similar trend as wireline (just a few years behind).

What wireless has not been matching is any price and usage growth. At this point your average wireline usage cap is 200-300GB (not including FiOS

200G @ $50 = $.25 / GB
2G @ $30 = $15.00 / GB

I'm sorry but wireless vs wireline broadband technologies do not have a 60X delta in costs to support.

EricTheDuke3

join:2009-11-17
reply to navyson

I'd like to see wireless STBs which I think VZ demoed them before!

DBLClick

join:2002-06-07
Manassas, VA

I would love to see a expansion of the Verizon App to other devices like TiVo and Panasonic, Sony smart tv. It would also be great if we could watch and see not only the Pay Per View, but the entire catalog of shows.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to navyson

The only thing I'd really like to see from FiOS is for them to start converting the HD channels to MPEG 4 to save space. And then the addition of new HD channels in MPEG 4.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to navyson

1) Ethernet on STBs;
2) Remote DVR control via own router.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:14

Sorry, neither of those will come true.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

The only thing I'd really like to see from FiOS is for them to start converting the HD channels to MPEG 4 to save space. And then the addition of new HD channels in MPEG 4.

Let's hope April MPEG-2 showers bring May MPEG-4 flowers.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by Greg2600:

said by aaronwt:

Let's hope April MPEG-2 showers bring May MPEG-4 flowers.

Well at least we know the flowers are on their way. See »[HD] STB Exchange if you haven't already.

JayMan 007

join:2005-07-18
Richmond, VA
reply to DBLClick

Yes.
After my 2 year old Samsung TV bought the farm, I replaced with Panasonic.
I would like to see the FiOS app on this, as well as on Apple TV.

hally
Premium
join:2000-02-21
Long Beach, NY

1 edit
reply to navyson

Make a remote control interface that actually works properly. Instead of making me press the DVR button several times to get anything to come up. I am paying already for the service I don't want to see an ad when I want to watch a show I recorded.

Why no love for iPhone? I would like to watch a recorded show on it too.

ETA I see more people are not loving the remote.
And also I agree, more then 2 tuners in the DVR.
I may switch back for a better deal, except for the internet FIOS IMHO is not all that.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to navyson

What's wrong with the remote? I find it works fine. Why on earth would you want to watch something, in your home, on an iPhone? Screen is miniscule.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
reply to hally

said by hally:

Why no love for iPhone? I would like to watch a recorded show on it too.

No love for iPhone? I thought there was the streaming app. Is it only for iPad? At least it exists there. There is no Android or Window 8 streaming app!

hally
Premium
join:2000-02-21
Long Beach, NY

said by PJL See Profile
No love for iPhone? I thought there was the streaming app. Is it only for iPad? At least it exists there. There is no Android or Window 8 streaming app!
[/BQUOTE :

Last I looked it was just for iPad

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to navyson

I just want a free DVR upgrade. I can't add external storage to mine and they want $39.99 to upgrade to a box that can.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
reply to hally

said by hally:

said by PJL See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

Last I looked it was just for iPad

Still more love for Apple products!