uniqs

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 edit

mackey to tru2au

Premium Member

to tru2au

Re: DSL too slow. Checking into AT&T Uverse. Need help please.

First, there are 3 different types of "Uverse." If it really is a 3800HGV-B they're trying to sell you then you're on either the VDSL or FTTP types, which means the Moto NVG-510 and 2210 will not work. If you're in one of the very rare FTTP areas, the 2310 will not work either.

So, the first thing you need to do is determine which type of Uverse is in your area. That will tell you which modems are compatible.

Next, AT&T does not "include" a modem in any package - you either need to buy it upfront for $100 (only the NVG-510 is offered for the ADSL2+ type of Uverse, and only the 3600 is offered for the VDSL type of Uverse), or rent it for a monthly fee (every other modem). There are some tricks you can do to get out of the $100 upfront fee, but it requires finding a used modem elsewhere, accepting their $100 modem when signing up for service, but then returning it unopened once your service is up with the modem you bought used.

/M
tru2au
join:2013-02-18

tru2au

Yes, I have already figured it out about the returning the New unused modem to get my $100 back. You state that I need to find out which type of Uverse is in my area. Is there a easy way to do that without having to call AT&T and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone? Thanks so much for the help. Chris

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

the problem is that you might have both available in you area The online ordering will let you know pretty quickly

»www.att.com/u-verse/avai ··· ndex.jsp

When you put your address in, if it says tv, internet & phone are available then you have VDSL available (Modems 3600/3800/3801)

if it only show internet than you are probably on the IPDSL (moto nvg510)

sometimes the vdsl & IPDSL are available in the same area. If you are only ordering the internet only then you may get the IPDSL service so they can save the VDSL ports for cx who order tv service that is why there may be some grey area

let me know what you find out
tru2au
join:2013-02-18

tru2au

Yes, I only have Uverse Internet available. So, the Moto NVG510 is the only one that will work? Thanks Chris