uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

[WIN8] what is the W8 startup iType program?

iType starts at Win 8 startup and has a "high impact" according to the Windows 8 Task Manager startup tab.

What is that program? what are the consequences of disabling it permanently or at least at startup? Can that even be done?

Reason for asking is wondering if doing so would speed startup and restarts...

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Click for full size
Click for full size
I have "itype.exe" running for me in startup as well from the following reg key ---> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I'm not sure on the exact function of the software, but I know it has to do with my Microsoft Keyboard. I have a Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard like the one in the 2nd picture.

That item was added to my registry (along with ipoint.exe) when I installed the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Center application. That application is what allows me to program specific buttons on the keyboard. I also think one of these programs (ipoint or itype) has to do with the onscreen display of the volume indicator too.

I would think if you disabled that, things with your specific keyboard or mouse may quit working. I don't see what kind of boot up speed you would get by removing it either.

If I look at my task manager, mine has a status of "High" (see 3rd picture).

I never really thought about it, as I'm one who will limit what I have running on startup. As you can see by my picture, its just a few main items (Virus Scanner, microsoft keyboard items, RainMeter, and BONIC (for distributed computing)).

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Gem
Premium

Thanks, we have a usb keyboard and mouse on that computer so that explains it.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

I have a USB keyboard and USB laser mouse on my Win 8 computer and I do NOT have "itype.exe" anywhere. So, unless your keyboard and mouse were purchased from Microsoft, I don't think plencnerb See Profile answer applies.

I have never heard of this program. I have a multimedia keyboard with special buttons on it that I have no idea what they do. The keyboard comes with the computer I bought, otherwise, I would not have gotten a multimedia keyboard as I think they are not worth the extra money. (But that's just my opinion).

As for volume on the screen....that is always in the systray along with controls for volume for your sound card...so I don't know how it would not be on your screen if you disabled itype.exe. I'm glad I don't have a Microsoft keyboard or mouse because I have had them in the past and not worth it to me for the extra software that has to be running all the time.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Gem

Gem See Profile,

What Mele20 See Profile is saying is correct as far as the keyboard type goes. itype.exe and ipoint.exe are applications that are installed when you configure your Microsoft Keyboard and / or Microsoft Mouse. While you may have a USB Keyboard and Mouse, if they are not Microsoft (like mine), then you probably don't need them running, let alone whatever software is installed with them.

In regards to the volume being displayed on the screen, I've attached a picture of that. Prior to me installing the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse center, if I would use the volume keys on my keyboard, I don't get that little graphic. The volume would go up or down, or mute, I just would not see it on the screen.

That is one of the "features" of either itype.exe or ipoint.exe. I would assume itype, as type would imply keyboard, and point would imply mouse.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

That's in your systray? That is a very strange looking volume control icon. What does the "32" mean and the different colors on the bar?

Windows 8 has an odd looking volume icon but not as strange as yours and looking at it you can guess it is the volume icon. I like the one from XP. I also have a Dell volume icon that is the same concept as the Windows 8 one but just a bigger bullhorn.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

No. That is the one that gets displayed on my screen near the upper left corner of the screen! It only shows when I am actually making changes to the volume, and then is only displayed for like 3 or 5 seconds afterwards. Then it goes away.

The 32 is the volume level (0 to 100). It kind of looks like a slider control, with the white part being the top of the slider, and the brown being the part as it comes up. The gray above the white is where you can move the slider up to.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
reply to Gem

A similar "pop-up" show up on my laptop when I change the brightness level of the screen.
--
»www.caryontech.com

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to plencnerb

Ahh... so that just shows up when you adjust the volume. Both of my icons just work from the systray. I've never had a volume control one popup in the upper left corner. I bet that has to do with Metro in Win 8. I have that turned off with Start8 so I don't the active program showing up in the upper left corner unless I were to switch to Metro screen and open it from there.
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

As far as I know, it does not have to do with Metro at all. That screen shot was taken from my desktop. I just cropped it to show just the volume pop-up thing.

It has to do with the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center software. When I was running Windows 7, it did something similar, in the same location. It looked a little different, was slightly smaller, and a different color. But, really the same thing.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

sekim
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:1

I have that volume control graphic on my laptop without any usb type mouse or keyboard plugged in. Apparently part of win8. Have same display graphic for a screen brightness control indicator but lacks the percentages - wish it had those.

So maybe it comes from Power Options.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit

What kind of laptop? Did you load Windows 8 on it yourself, or did it come with it pre-installed.

The reason I ask is that a lot of Laptops offer the on-screen features like this. However, in the case of most laptops (Lenovo and Asus), there is software that you load to get those features to work (at least that was the case in Windows 7).

I really do think its my Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard software that is doing this. And, I think that if you have a laptop that also has that functionally, it is a 3rd party application doing it.

However, I am one who likes to verify my assumptions to see if I am correct or not. Since I still do have that extra 80 GB EIDE hard drive, I could plug that back in and do a "clean install" of Windows 8 and see what kind of on-screen functionally I get out of the box. I am almost certain that my keyboards programmable buttons did not work until I installed the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Center software. I also thought the on-screen volume display did not work until the software was installed as well. If I get a few minutes today, I'll do a quick install of Windows 8 on that 2nd hard drive and report back with what I find out.

With all the advances of Windows 8, that functionally may finally be built-in to the OS, instead of having it rely on 3rd party applications.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to sekim

said by sekim:

I have that volume control graphic on my laptop without any usb type mouse or keyboard plugged in. Apparently part of win8. Have same display graphic for a screen brightness control indicator but lacks the percentages - wish it had those.

I have that volume graphic with a Logitech MK710 keyboard on windows 8 pro 64 on a desktop (installed windows 8 myself, clean install, no itype.exe running on system, I didn't install logitech drivers but I do remember seeing windows 8 mention it was installing them after initial startup).

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Sounds like it may be a built-in function of the OS then.

Its good that this kind of functionally is now built-in. The advantage of that is the look is now "standard". Looking back at different hardware vendors, they all had their version of "On Screen displays". Now the location, colors, etc are all standard, regardless of the hardware, as it is now a function of the OS. It also makes life a bit easier when you go to install the OS clean onto a given system, as that is one less item you have to track down on the manufactures web page. Sure, on a laptop you may have specific function keys that may not work yet, but at least the on-screen display should work.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by plencnerb:

Agreed and if you are on a clean 8 with itype.exe running then it appears that it might be auto-installed as well... note the MS page for intellitype pro doesn't mention 8 at all:

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=26950

(of course it hasn't been updated since 2011 so who knows )

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
reply to plencnerb

The laptop I have is a Dell Inspiron 1525 which originally came with Vista when purchased several years ago.
--
»www.caryontech.com

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to dib22

said by dib22:

said by plencnerb:

Agreed and if you are on a clean 8 with itype.exe running then it appears that it might be auto-installed as well... note the MS page for intellitype pro doesn't mention 8 at all:

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=26950

(of course it hasn't been updated since 2011 so who knows )

Well in my case I know itype.exe was not running on clean install of the OS. That did come once I installed the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center. I don't remember if I had the volume on-screen display thing prior to the install of that software or not. From what others are saying, it sounds like that is now the case. A quick swap of hard drives and an install of Windows 8 Pro to a spare HD will help verify this!

Oh I should also point out that during the install of Windows 8, there is an option if you want to select "Express Settings" or "Custom Settings". I always choose "Custom". One of them has do to with Windows automatically getting device drivers, apps, and info for new device. The setting that Microsoft has as the default is "On". I turn that to "Off", as i want to install my own drivers.

Knowing that option is "On By default", and if you choose the "Express Option", the same would be true there as well. So, it could be the fact that Windows 8 will see the hardware, install the needed drivers, and software (in my case, Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center) automatically, which is why it just "works". Again, this is something that I can verify when I do install Windows 8 Pro to a spare hard drive this morning.

By the way, the link you have is the old one. Here is the one for the new "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center", which is the replacement to IntelliType Pro.

»www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us···d-center

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Gem

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
Well, I went ahead and swapped out my hard drives, and did a clean install of Windows 8 Pro x64. Again, I want to point out that during the install process, you are asked the question if you want to choose "Express Settings" or "Custom Settings". I selected as I always do "Custom Settings". The modifications I made from the default options during the "Custom" selections are noted below

•Turn on Sharing and Connect to Devices (selected)

•Windows Update
My selected option: Don't Setup Windows Update

•Automatically get device drivers, apps, and info for new devices
My Selected Option: Off

• Sign on using a local account, not a Microsoft Account

Once the OS was installed, I was of course put into the new start screen. I then clicked the desktop icon, and pressed the volume buttons on my keyboard. The result is shown in the first picture.

As you can see, that little graphic is displayed. While the colors are different (I think that has to do with whatever bitmap image you have selected), it does appear that by default, on-screen functionally is present inside the OS.

As I mentioned, I changed the option "Automatically get device drivers, apps, and info for new devices" during the custom install process from the default "On" to "Off". If you look at Picture #2, you will see that no items are running on Startup, as no software, device drivers, or device software was installed automatically by Windows.

I did go ahead and install the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard software. Doing so did not change the behavior of the on-screen volume indicator. It still worked and looked the same even with the keyboard software installed.

So, based on my testing, and the reports of others in this thread, I would say that Windows 8 does include the functionally of "On Screen Display" as a built-in function of the OS.

What I do not know yet (forgot to test before I installed the software) is if my "special keys" on my keyboard would have worked without installing the software. Since it is a Microsoft keyboard, some of them may have worked, but I'm not sure as I did not test that. Really don't want to re-install the OS again to see if that is the case or not, but that would be something else to test out at a later date.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Mele20

The usb keyboard is a wired IBM model that must be at least 10 years old.

The usb mouse however is a wireless MSFT 4000 model.

No user installed any additional software with regard to the mouse or keyboard.

It appears the extra processes are somthing that Windows 8 must enable automatically when it detects a wireless USB keyboard or mouse. Perhaps only if one of those devices is a MSFT product.

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

During the [Windows 8] install process, you are asked the question if you want to choose "Express Settings" or "Custom Settings". The modifications I made from the default options during the "Custom" selections are noted below

• Sign on using a local account, not a Microsoft Account

--Brian

What is the difference between signing on with a local account vs an MSFT account?

What's the advantage of using the local account option?

What's the disadvantage of using the MSFT account?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Gem

Click for full size
Pic 1
Click for full size
Pic 2
said by Gem:

The usb mouse however is a wireless MSFT 4000 model.

No user installed any additional software with regard to the mouse or keyboard.

It appears the extra processes are somthing that Windows 8 must enable automatically when it detects a wireless USB keyboard or mouse. Perhaps only if one of those devices is a MSFT product.

I've posted some screen captures from a video that I posted in another thread to help show what I'm talking about.

The first comes up just after you start the steps to "Personalize" your Windows 8 install. As you can see, there are two options: "Use Express Settings" and "Customize".

If you click on Customize, you get the screen shown in the 2nd picture. Of note is the option that I have highlighted in Red, which reads "Automatically get device drivers, apps, and info for new devices". As you can see, the default is to have that option "On", which means that Windows will automatically download and install any missing drivers or software for the hardware devices on your system. This would include keyboards and mice.

So, what is happening is that since the usb mouse is a wireless MSFT 4000 model, Windows 8 sees that on install, and goes ahead and connects to Windows/Microsoft update, downloads the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center application, and installs it.

Since I want to be fully in control of the software that is being installed on my systems, I change that option to "Off".

But, that is probably why you are seeing ipoint.exe and itype.exe running on startup. With that setting as the default, and if you select "express settings", that would be the expected behavior in this case.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Gem

said by Gem:

What is the difference between signing on with a local account vs an MSFT account?

I know that if I use a local account, I cannot directly purchase any items from the Microsoft Store. Right now, that's not a bad thing for me, as I have no use for those applications. With a local account, you don't have the ability to synch things between devices.

said by Gem:

What's the advantage of using the local account option?

Security comes to mind. Since its local, all of my data is then local, and won't be uploaded to the cloud when I log off my system. The disadvantage here is that if I do have multiple machines, I would have to find another way to get the data between them. Personally, I don't see that as a big deal. When I was employed, I would either e-mail myself information or documents between my home account, and my work account. The other option I had (if a file was to big) would be to just VPN into my PC in the office, and copy it across the network. It also could be that I'm a bit "Old School" so to speak and don't feel the need to have 24x7 access to all of my data regardless of where I'm at. This could be why I still have a desktop and not a laptop, tablet, or smartphone.

said by Gem:

What's the disadvantage of using the MSFT account?

Again I'll say Security. Sure its nice that I can access my data and settings and all that from any device that I log on to, but what happens if that "cloud" storage gets hacked, the server(s) my data is on crashes, or ? With my data local, its my responsibility to make sure I have whatever backup solution in place that fits my needs.

I think the bottom line is that there is no such thing as a "wrong" choice when it comes to this. It really is up to each user, and how they will be using Windows 8. For some, a MSFT account would be a wonderful addition for them. For others, a local account is all they need.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

I agree with you about the security issues. I personally prefer "silos" for our different computers and now that you describe it, we would have no use for a MSFT account either.

So, on our two Windows 8 installs, how can we tell if I selected local user accounts or microsoft accounts when I did the installs of Windwos 8.

Sadly, I can't remember which way we went on that issue on either computer.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Click for full size
If you open the charms bar, and then click on Settings, and then go under users, you should get to the screen that I'm showing above.

There it will show you what account you are currently logged in with, and if its a local account, or a Microsoft one. In my case, I'm using a local account, and it says that under my name.

If you are currently using a Microsoft one, and want to add a local account instead, you may be able to do it from the same screen. I'm not sure which is why I say that. I always go into Control Panel, then administrative tools, and finally Computer Management. From then, if you go under Local Users and Groups, and then users, you can create a new local account from there (just like you would in Windows 7).

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Gem

said by Gem:

I agree with you about the security issues. I personally prefer "silos" for our different computers and now that you describe it, we would have no use for a MSFT account either.

So, on our two Windows 8 installs, how can we tell if I selected local user accounts or microsoft accounts when I did the installs of Windwos 8.

Sadly, I can't remember which way we went on that issue on either computer.

Microsoft tries very hard to get you to set up a Microsoft account instead of user account. If you did not know this and were not very alert when setting up your Win 8 computer, you would probably have done a Microsoft account. Microsoft hides user account in small font at the bottom and even if you know to look for it you can still miss it. It makes creating a Microsoft account very prominent, at the top of the page, in easy to read font and lauds all the "advantages" to setting up that way.I knew ahead of time to look carefully for the option for local user account but it was at the bottom of the page almost hidden, and when I chose it, Microsoft still tried to convince me to use a Microsoft account instead. Did you give Microsoft an email address? If so, then you set up a Microsoft account.

To me, the privacy concern is just as strong as the security concern. I have a Microsoft account and have had it for many years. But I do not want my Windows 8 tied to that account and the email address I use for my Microsoft account. I want that separate. As plencnerb See Profile said you can easily change to local user account. Plus, if you do want to access Microsoft Store you can always later set up a Microsoft account to use to access it if you don't already have one (that is assuming you don't do what I did, I had to eventually disable UAC in the registry as Windows 8 does not understand admin account, whereas, Vista/Win 7 do. If you disable UAC in the registry, you cannot use Windows store even if you set up Windows 8 with a Microsoft account instead of a local user account). The synching thing could be a potential problem...but luckily I don't need to synch devices. I also don't need the cloud to get stuff from one computer to another as emailing or USB flash drive works fine for that. Of course, flash drivewould work better if USB 3 but I hear those are very expensive presently and I have never seen one here anywhere.
--

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit

Mele, I'm going over to the W8 computer in a bit to check on the type of account it has.

Before doing that I want to agree with you about using USB drives to move files and data from one computer to another. I do the same thing and have done so for quite a while.

Early last month Newegg had 32gb USB-3 drives on sale for under $20. I got one for $18. It works fine even on boards that have only USB-2 ports. And it is much faster than my older USB-2 drives even when both are running on USB-2 ports.

Here's the one I purchased. It has been very good to me, although some other buyers have said the ones they got did not work or did not work for long.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20141595

There are many other USB flash drives on this page that have higher user ratings and are still reasonably priced.

»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···eSize=20

One thing to watch out for is the size and width of the USB drives. The small ones (like mine) are nice in that they aren't so wide that they take up the space of two USB ports.

The downside to the smaller drives is that they might be easier to lose or misplace.

The larger drives are harder to lose. I have a few of those in the USB-2 variety, but it is a pain when one drive is two large to fit in a front panel port and is so large that it covers two USB ports on the back of your computer.

===========================================

P.S. to Brian and Mele.

Just checked our user accounts. They are both local accounts.

Must have gotten lucky when setting up Windows 8. Or perhaps it was because both windows 8 installs were "upgrades" from previous windows operating systems that had only local user accounts on them.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Glad you were able to verify what account type you have.

While we both agree that local accounts work best right now, I think we also both know that, if in the future, either one of us wanted to switch to using a Microsoft account, that process appears to be easy to do.

Again, I really don't have a problem with either one. I'm actually glad Microsoft has put the functionally of a "Roaming Profile" so to speak from Active Directly into the hands of "normal users". There are lots of people out there that will have multiple devices (Tablets, Laptops, Desktops, Windows Phones) and they will love the fact that each time they login using their Microsoft account, the look and feel of their device is the same, they can access all of their data regardless of which device it was created on, and so on.

Yet, for those of us that are OK with using a local account, and have no problems sending e-mails to ourselves (its when we answer our own e-mails is when we need to worry! ) or use flash drives to copy files from one device to another.

And for that, I actually give Microsoft kudos. They gave the end user a choice. Which, I think is what a lot of people on here wish they would have done with the Metro / Start Screen and Start menu.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Gem

I'm glad to see you have local accounts.

Thanks for the links for USB 3 flash drives. I bought a USB 2 flash drive on sale for $6 at Office Max yesterday. It is a beautiful HOT PINK color. It is only USB 2 but from Verbatim with a lifetime warranty and data guaranteed to remain usable for 10 years. It is 8GB. Just what I need to make a copy of the USB flash drive Delll sent me that has Win 8 Pro Reinstallation files on it. I'm thinking I should have bought two. For something like this, USB 2 is fine.

I will watch for USB 3 drives on sale here or on the internet somewhere that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to ship it to Hawaii.
--

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

I may be wrong, Melee, but Newegg might ship free to Hawaii when the item is listed as a Free Shipping item.

Then again, perhaps the free shipping only applies to the lower 48 states. You'd have to ask them to be sure.

I have a couple of older verbatim drives from Office Max. They are still going strong.