how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cityofangels

@sunwave.com.br
reply to meowmeow

Re: 4K & mpeg 4 availability

fios serves big cities like los angeles where there is a radio station every 0.4mhz.

»radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locate···&city=La

so that is like 15 radio stations blasting into each 6mhz slot. the tuner portion of the settop box doesnt have sufficient shielding for that. 64qam perhaps. if it could have been done it would have already. no big city op is using 256qam in fm band period!

said by meowmeow:

Okay, but there's not a huge difference between 860 and 870. Lots of cable companies run 64 QAM in the FM band. There's NO reason Verizon can't run 256 QAM in it as long as the wiring in each house is good. For crying out loud it's converted to copper at the last minute.

Still, 108 channels is adequate to provide 300 good quality HD streams with MPEG-2 or 300 excellent quality MPEG-4 streams (or 200 excellent quality MPEG-2 streams)...

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to meowmeow

said by meowmeow:

Okay, but there's not a huge difference between 860 and 870. Lots of cable companies run 64 QAM in the FM band. There's NO reason Verizon can't run 256 QAM in it as long as the wiring in each house is good. For crying out loud it's converted to copper at the last minute.

Nope - been there, done that.....

There was a trial a few years ago in Delaware using the 3 FM QAM EIA's that didn't work out....

Hooper
Premium
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

Except for the bean counters that have to keep the shareholders happy. Who is going to pay for all the boxes that have to be replaced? As has been pointed out several times, this will happen slowly.

We pay for the these boxes on a monthly basis PLUS Verizon depreciates the hardware (typical depreciation is 2 years). These boxes are at worst a zero sum and at best a profit center. Who knows, Verizon may even lease the hardware which is a whole other discussion.

Bottom line, Verizon is surely using every possible tax advantage and cost structure to break even or turn a profit on these boxes. No need to worry about them losing major dollars over replacing thousands of boxes that in many cases are close to 5 years old.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

1 edit

said by Hooper:

No need to worry about them losing major dollars over replacing thousands of boxes that in many cases are close to 5 years old.

I think the numbers of SD boxes out there is much higher than several thousands, higher even than many thousands. Also, you have to include the DCT-700s which were given away free "for as long as you remain a FiOS customer." I rely on that free box.

There will be a lot of problems for the bean counters to pull SD service and replace it with a HD box. Free? Yeah, I'll take it, but I'll scream if VZ charges me for it. Me and many thousands of others. Of those, thousands of whom will say "why remove SD? it works just fine on my tube TV". Luddite and proud of it.

It would be interesting to see the real numbers. With 4+ million TV subscribers now and projected to be closer to 5 million by end of 2013, I think you're underestimating the SD boxes in use by several orders of magnitude.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to Ken7

SD Boxes are not currently a major issue. Verizon can't be "missing" more than 30-40 major HD channels. So if you move half that many from MPEG2 to MPEG4, you're in business. People with 6200/6400 boxes will have to turn them in, that simple. Verizon needs to take the hit on the age of those boxes.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to Hooper

said by Hooper:

No need to worry about them losing major dollars over replacing thousands of boxes that in many cases are close to 5 years old.

Sure the 6xxx boxes have probably been fully depreciated and VZ has gotten back their initial investment in rental fees.

However, you're not understanding how CAPEX (Capital Expenditures) work. To fund new boxes, those dollars have to come out of the current capital expenditure budget. Those are dollars that VZ can't spend elsewhere. CAPEX dollars are limited and VZ must prioritize where limited CAPEX dollars are spent.

I'm not defending VZ here, just explaining how it works.
As both a FIOS subscriber and a VZ shareholder, I trust that VZ management is making the correct trade-offs.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Ken7

I agree about the CAPEX numbers, but they've had at least 2 years to straighten this all out. One question I would have is can they move ALL Premium channels to MPEG-4? Are feeds available for all of them?

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to cityofangels

said by cityofangels :

fios serves big cities like los angeles where there is a radio station every 0.4mhz.

»radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locate···&city=La

so that is like 15 radio stations blasting into each 6mhz slot. the tuner portion of the settop box doesnt have sufficient shielding for that. 64qam perhaps. if it could have been done it would have already. no big city op is using 256qam in fm band period!

said by meowmeow:

Still, 108 channels is adequate to provide 300 good quality HD streams with MPEG-2 or 300 excellent quality MPEG-4 streams (or 200 excellent quality MPEG-2 streams)...

Makes sense, I know at least at one point Bresnan was running digital in the FM band here. 64QAM. Dunno what that's being used for today though. However, I'm in rural Montana.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Ken7

You all might want to read my thread about the STB exchange program to support a "network change" that will require 7XXX or Cisco STBs to get added HD programming in "select packages." What else could it be but MPEG4? This may end all the speculation, finally.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ

said by PJL:

You all might want to read my thread about the STB exchange program to support a "network change" that will require 7XXX or Cisco STBs to get added HD programming in "select packages." What else could it be but MPEG4? This may end all the speculation, finally.

Yeah, "This is going to be BIG."