spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2012-06-11

CSR claims 15/3 tier will be REINTRODUCED in March ?

According to this post in another thread.

quote:

Tanker

join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL

"FWIW, the Charter rep I talked to to said they were rolling out a 15/3 tier in March. They also said no plans to increase the speeds of other tiers. Again, FWIW."

Has anyone else heard such information from a Charter rep lately?

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

As I mentioned in another thread, when I was discussing my options with an online rep(chat) last week, he gave me the option of downgrading my 100mbps to not only a 30mbps tier but also a 15mbps tier. I chose the 30mbps tier for now.

Premium

Price?

Did they mention the price for the 15/3 tier by any chance?

The last thing I heard from a CSR that claimed to be at the corporate offices even though they were NOT at the REAL corporate offices in St. Louis, indicated that they only had the 30mb or 100mb tiers ....and that the 15/3 plan I am on only exists because I already had it currently. Wow it seems like you can't get a straight answer out of Charter at any price these days. LOL

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to 15444104

Re: CSR claims 15/3 tier will be REINTRODUCED in March ?

The reps I spoke with today said I could have 30 or 100Mbps. When I said I don't need or want 30 they told too bad, those are my only choices.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

squashpile

join:2001-06-13
Birmingham, AL

4 edits
reply to 15444104

I just downgraded from 100 ($116.73) to 30. I LULZ @ only two service tiers. They said I still have 2 months on my 24 Price Guarantee contract. I thought that was funny too. My bill just went up $20.79 a month.
I was curious how that was a guarantee. She said something like it was based on the 15Mbps basic tier which they don't offer anymore. I didn't understand why I was about to be charged early termination for something they don't even offer and I'm still keeping service above the base package (at the time).
In the end she said she would waive the termination fee and completed the downgrade. I will be sure to check next month to make sure.
No mention of 15Mbps. She didn't know anything about a fee to go back to 100Mbps.
What a debacle

Man.. I have not seen much over 18MBps on this 30 plan.. lol. I'll have to get used to this. It will bump to around 30 then stay around 15-18. Is this normal on 30? Starting to wonder if it was provisioned wrong. Speed is so inconsistent during a test. Is the 30Mbps packaged shaped? Never really saw that on 100. It will bounce from 5-20Mbps during any testing.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3253 Kbps.
Downstream: 36943 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 3210 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 4287-5665 KB;
Shaping rate: 21877 Kbps.

Expand your moderator at work

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to 15444104

Re: Price?

said by 15444104:

The last thing I heard from a CSR that claimed to be at the corporate offices even though they were NOT at the REAL corporate offices in St. Louis, indicated that they only had the 30mb or 100mb tiers ....and that the 15/3 plan I am on only exists because I already had it currently. Wow it seems like you can't get a straight answer out of Charter at any price these days. LOL

In case I haven't said it before, but Charter's left hand almost never knows what the right hand is doing now a days!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to 15444104

said by 15444104:

No they didn't because I really wasn't interesting in that speed, so I didn't ask pricing on that one.

What else is interesting is they didn't say anything about me owning my own modem. Not a peep about it(I have a 6120) when I downgraded(verified last night that my speed is now at 30mbps).

orth

@charter.com

If your account reflects that you have a customer owned modem then Charter doesn't care. It's if you were renting a modem and then purchased your own the switch can't be made.

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

Charter's response to those owning modems varies by area. I was forced to disconnect my 6120 when I downgraded from TV and Internet to just Internet. They informed me that customers who change plans will no longer be allowed to keep their own modems. I have heard from others on here that there was no mention of removing their privately owned modems. So the bottom line is Charter is slowly trying to take away the customer's ability use their own modem (although this varies by location). It may be a slow process, but I would be willing to bet that support for private modems will cease to exist in a few months.

squashpile

join:2001-06-13
Birmingham, AL

I kept my owned 6120. Nothing was mentioned about my modem during the downgrade.

Ryan818

Medford, OR

2 edits

Like I said it seems to vary by area. Here in the Northwest they are providing folks with Cisco modems. I didn't have any heartburn about giving up my own modem. When I get fed up with Charter down the road and move on to another provider, all I have to do is give the modem back and be done with it. No need to keep buying new modems to keep pace with changes. It appears we are already getting charged a fee with the new price increases. It doesn't matter if we own the modem outright or use a Charter modem.

Premium

While the modem issue is important this thread is NOT about that issue. Let's keep this one ON TOPIC PLEASE. Further off topic posts will be removed. Thanks for your cooperation.

Ryan818

Medford, OR

I wasn't the first to mention the modem replacement. I believe this was mentioned by a previous poster in this discussion. I was simply addressing my experience with modems when I changed plans and downgraded my internet service from 100/5 to 30/4. I think it is perfectly relevant given that Charter is changing things up not just on the speed end but also on the modem/equipment side. They pretty much go hand in hand. Feel free to remove my posts if you see fit.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 15444104

I spoke with a CSR today. One who was a lot more competent than the others I've spoken with recently. When I asked about 15Mbps service the CSR said he'd heard about the possibility of 15Mbps service being offered in the future.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

Premium

Thanks for the comment vaxvms...

I wonder why Charter is letting this "Cat out of the bag" so to speak, because it causes confusion among customers.

I wonder if I should hang around for another month at the OUTRAGEOUS price of 47.99 for my grandfathered in 15mb plan and hope that the tier is once again offered as a regular choice to all customers at a significantly lower price, or bail now?

Ryan818

Medford, OR

Given the way Charter is jacking up the prices on all their services I would say anyone who waits will continue to pay higher prices well into the future. I for one am not going to stick around if the price for 30/4 continues to increase as rapidly as it has in the last few months. If they do in fact offer a 15/3 connection at around $40 price tag per month I will stick around. I am kind of stuck as I need the higher speeds that DSL can't offer to do all web based streaming of movies and TV shows.

grayem

join:2000-09-22
Saint Louis, MO

$40 for 15/3, Lets hope for something better, like $25

Ryan818

Medford, OR

I don't think we will see anything less than $30 given that 30/4 is now $54 per month. Even DSL from most phone providers for speeds close to 12 Mbps is around $35-40 after your contract is up. I wish it was getting cheaper but the evidence suggests otherwise. I wish they would just go back to four internet packages like they used to have.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

The reps I spoke with today said I could have 30 or 100Mbps. When I said I don't need or want 30 they told too bad, those are my only choices.

Same thing when I wanted in between 30 and 100. "Those are the only speeds we offer." In Greenville, SC.

Premium
reply to Ryan818

I think a reasonable price for 15/3 would be about 29$ (everyday price) because most folks that would take that tier are probably low bandwidth users anyhow for the most part. If the caps were lower than the 30/5 tier that would add to the logic.

Like I said before if I was charged solely based on usage I would be likely paying a bit less than the 25$ I have been.

I was originally on the Internet Lite tier at 1mb for 20$/mo everyday regular price and that level of service was a perfect fit for me. If I had a choice I would rather have that back as opposed to the 15/3 at 30$/mo tier.

Expand your moderator at work

Ryan818

Medford, OR
reply to 15444104

We are now in a world of higher prices no matter how you look at it. You will never see speeds below 1Mbps on any cable package. Those speeds are reserved for the phone company DSL services. Charter is all about making money at the expense of the customer. Forcing customers to accept two speed tiers weeds out those that will go to the phone company for slower DSL. They can focus their marketing efforts on people that are interested in speed not price. Look at the commercials this all they tout day in day out.

Premium

2 edits

I'm glad you brought up the literally flooding of the TV airwaves with what seems to me to be a Charter ad once every 5 minutes on all our local TV stations....That must cost subscribers a fortune in ad expenditures. No wonder the price is 50$ or nothing.

Not to mention watching that annoying, metrosexual- hipster twit dancing around on our tv screen...Bahahaha!

Yeah ATT is also flooding the airwaves with ads too, but they don't seems as annoying...yet.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

said by 15444104:

That must cost US a fortune in ad expenditures.

Subscribers? What happened to US?

Premium

4 edits

It's not like I would stop commenting on the ill advised decisions that Tom Rutledge and his executive management team are foisting on subscribers, even when I leave for ATT.

Thankfully there are still some who will not "shut up and take it" lying down. As a paying customer I want a lower cost service and I have every right to persist in communicating that desire---- the squeaky wheel.

After all, I AM THE CUSTOMER. In my case the old phrase, " the customer is always right" applies.

Again there is a "duopoly" in this industry so while I am getting some financial relief with ATT service, it's still a poor value.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 edit
reply to 15444104

said by 15444104:

I think a reasonable price for 15/3 would be about 29$ (everyday price) because most folks that would take that tier are probably low bandwidth users anyhow for the most part. If the caps were lower than the 30/5 tier that would add to the logic.

Like I said before if I was charged solely based on usage I would be likely paying a bit less than the 25$ I have been.

I was originally on the Internet Lite tier at 1mb for 20$/mo everyday regular price and that level of service was a perfect fit for me. If I had a choice I would rather have that back as opposed to the 15/3 at 30$/mo tier.

I'd be all over that 15/3 for $29 even if I had to give up my own modem, maybe!

With my usage now a days, even if it is winter and I'm in the house more often than outside kicking a ball, I'd probably be such a low bandwidth consumer, my cost would probably be under $10 a month, based on usage.

Don't think I could handle a puny 1Mb speed though!

Those Charter commercials are so annoying and stupid, that would be all it took for me to subscribe to someone else, if I had the choice!

On the one commercial where that guy talks about old copper line handling so much info, what does the fact of using wireless routers have to do with the old copper lines though? Try Charter, it's smarter, even if the commercial is dumber and some what of a lie!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/