Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 edit

[Laptop] Lenovo *NEW Questions*

I am waiting on my delivery of my new Lenovo G580 Laptop. I am, quite honestly, new to factory builds, as the last time I bought a factory build was in 1994, a 486 laptop.

Well my question is, when I go to the lenovo website drivers download section, there are, evidently, different part numbers for the drivers than the part number that Lenovo emailed me as proof of purchase. There seem to be 2 drivers for several different parts, such as wired network drivers. The part numbers listed aren't the number of the product they sent to me (and I will hopefully get in a few hours).

How do I figure out which drivers are the right ones.

Also, a different question:

I am seeing some people claiming that the Intel overdrive or whatever it is called, that upclocks the processor, isn't working on my model with some people. One response giver said to go to Intel's site to download drivers. Is that a risky business?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: [Laptop] Lenovo

The Lenovo driver matrix is pretty nice.

However the best way to do this is load up this program;
»support.lenovo.com/en_US ··· U-UPDATE

Lenovo Update is possibly the best OEM utility to find updates.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Thank you! Typing on it right now!

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
reply to signmeuptoo
I use Lenovo update as well. Most factory installed stuff gets removed immediately but that one is a keeper.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Re: [Laptop] Lenovo *NEW Questions*

New question:

Upclocking:

I went on battery, showed only having enough charge for 1.5 hours. I suspect there are things I need to change for that to be better, right?

Ok, well, the thing seems locked in an upclock of 2.85-2.90 GHz, in fact, I'm not sure it runs at 2.5 or 3.1. I've got F@H running on it, but put it in sleep and it still runs at 2.85. How can I determine that it WILL upclock to 3.1, and how do I make sure it will downclock to 2.50 when I need it to?

Mods, make a new thread if it is appropriate...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
If you're running an SMP slot, or multiple uniprocessor slots, you won't see it hit 3.1 GHz. That's what it hits when only one core is being stressed. When both are, 2.9 GHz is the max. As for dropping it to 2.5, I don't think there's a way to control what speed it's running at under load, other than disabling Turbo Boost in the BIOS (if your PC has that option). The CPU should drop well below 2 GHz when it's idle though.

For the battery, try doing a discharge/charge cycle with it before testing battery life.
--
KI6RIT

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
reply to signmeuptoo
Enjoy your new Lenovo... Nice stuff!!!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to n_w95482
So indeed, on battery using balanced energy setting and with F@H off and only browsing, it dropped to a little over 1 GHz.