cadillact

join:2006-08-05
Chula Vista, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

2 edits

[CATV] Fox Soccer ch. HD in 2.0 and same SD channel in 5.1 Sound

HI

I called Cox today to find out why Fox soccer channel HD is being broadcasted in 2.0. Fox soccer channel SD is in 5.1 sound. This doesnt make sense to me. So that the reason I called cox.

I was told that they are a "conduit" and that its nothing that cox can do about it.

PS!!

I did call cox about 4 years ago and asked why fox soccer channel was being broadcasted in MONO. One week later it was in stereo.

However this time its look like I'm screwed. Unless I can tweak my cable box and transfer ch 326 audio to 1326.

Maybe some Cox Engineer can explain this and if there is a solution in sight.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

Re: [CATV] Fox Soccer ch. HD in 2.0 and same SD channel in 5.1 S

How does fox send them to Cox? What audio format?

Have tried asking via facebook? Seems more Cox questions get answered there.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to cadillact

What kind of box do you have? And what is it hooked up to? A 5.1 surround system I assume? If so, how is it connected?

cadillact

Chula Vista, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

2 edits

My cable box is an 8300 HD DVR. With external HD. It works like a champ otherwise.

From that HDMI to sound processor and then to TV also on HDMI

I dont have any problems other that i described.

I was suppose to change a long time ago since cox doesnt offer fox soccer channel plus. I have been asking for this channel for years.

I have not really done any trouble shooting. Since it was a fluke that I found this out today. I by mistake entered 326 instead of 1326 and was suprised that out came 5.1 sound.

I did call cox support today and explained. They couldnt really tell me anything. Was it suppose to be like this? or is 1326 broadcasted in 5.1 and something is wrong with my equipment etc.

Still clueless maybe some other soccer fans here with cox can say what audio they have on their fox soccer channel

I have not done any thought yet but one workaround is to get a third cable box and send one to tv and one to sound processor.
Pretty expensive though.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

When you say "sound processor" do you mean some kind of surround sound system? Also, how are you telling what format the sound is in? A display on the TV? A display on the "sound processor"? By ear?

I ask because Im thinking it has to do with the maybe the digital sound output of the box, combined with the signal processing of your surround sound. Need more data though.

I found this page 7 of manual

»www.cisco.com/web/consumer/suppo···4007.pdf

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is an all-digital audio and video
interface. HDMI provides a digital interface between any audio and video source.
HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus digital audio.
Some HDTVs do not contain circuitry to decode Dolby®
Digital formatted
content. If you connect your DVR to an HDTV that cannot support Dolby Digital
audio, the HDMI interface instructs the DVR to switch its audio outputs to
2-channel PCM audio (to be compatible with the HDTV). In this case, all digital
audio outputs on the DVR are formatted as 2-channel PCM. As a result, you will
not be able to receive Dolby Digital or DTS audio on your home theater system
when connected to either the optical or coax (RCA Connector) S/PDIF ports.
You can avoid this by overriding the automatic configuration through the General
Settings menu and switching the audio output to Dolby Digital.
Important: If your HDTV cannot decode Dolby Digital formatted content and you
have configured the DVR to output in the Dolby Digital format, you will not be
able to listen to audio through the TV. Instead, you must use your home theater
or your Dolby Digital decoding device in order to hear audio. Alternatively, you
can reconfigure the DVR to output 2-channel PCM any time you want to use the
TV to produce the audio portion of the content by selecting HDMI in the General
Settings - Audio Output screen. Depending upon your equipment capabilities to
select alternate audio sources for input, other configurations may be possible.
Refer to your equipment user’s guides for more information.

cadillact

Chula Vista, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well I'm at work at the moment, Its a sony 5.1 surround sound with a bluray player and 6 speakers.

Its ok but only works all the way to 5.1.

I do have a new yamaha RX-something that i was going to install with new speakers but I have not yet done that.

Well i can see on the sony what is being send out to the speakers.
so it could say DTS or DD 3/2/1 this is how 5.1 is being displayed.
If stereo it will say 2.0. I can also see which speakers that are in use with icon on the sony.

I do have other stuff connected like a wester digital media player and an oppo player as well.

I did some light trouble shooting before going to work but I couldnt find any problems.

Especially when flipping between 1326 and 326 its a huge differance between 2.0 and 5.1. Its almost that I prefer to watch in SD with 5.1 then HD and 2.0. Since the commentators in stereo drowns almost everything else.

I will further go into menus and settings when i get home.

But my logical conclusion when factored in everything else is that 1326 is broadcasted in Stereo.

It could be my box that its something wrong with.

But I will test my other DVR and my new yamaha to see what comes out from my other 8300 HD DVR.

But then again Cox couldnt even answer me if 1326 is in 2.0 or 5.1.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Well after doing some digging on google Fox Soccer HD is just a simucast of the SD station, so its unlikely that the sound feed is going to be different between the two coming from Fox. Its also unlikely that Cox would do anything with that feed, since that would create more work on their part. So it seems the Sony reciever is getting 5.1 when on a HD channel, and 2.0 when a SD channel. Can you replicate this with other channels?

cadillact

Chula Vista, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well i hardly watch SD channels, but I will see what I can do.

I did call directv and spoke to a rep and he confirmed that their HD soccer channel is in 5.1.

I told this to cox as well. I would call it unfair competion since if fox is sending 5.1 to directv and not to Cox. Wouldnt that be a violation of something?

As for 326 and 1326. It doesnt sound like simulated 5.1 sound being broadcasted. Its a huge difference. Since i can hear the crowd in surround speakers and commentators in the center.

I will test but cox have several HD channels that is in 2.0 only.

Well its only a matter of time anyway since I will go to directv or dish. Just hasnt gotten my thumb out of my ass.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Cox likely is giving you it in 5.1, its just a setting issue in the box that is causing the problem. But if your no longer going to have Cox, kinda makes the whole post pointless. Have a good day.

cadillact

Chula Vista, CA

Well me leaving cox eventually has nothing to do with 5.1 or 2.0 issue here. Its that after years of asking for fox soccer channel plus and cox has no plans of ever getting that channel.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit
reply to cadillact

I have the Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) Explorer 8240HDC DVR connected to my Denon AVR-3806 AV Receiver via an Optical Digital cable and I have the same behavior.

The Fox Soccer HD channel on 702 has audio coming in as 2.0 and is being processed as Dolby Pro-logic II on the AV Receiver. The Fox Soccer SD channel on 262 is coming in as Dolby Digital 5.1. In both cases I am reading what my Denon Receiver is detecting. It displays the actual channels it sees. On the HD channel it is only seeing a Front-Left and Front-Right channel.

On the SD channel it is seeing Front-Left, Front-Center, Front-Right, Surround-Left, Surround-Right, and LFE (sub-woofer channel) for 5.1.

Considering we are in two different states with the same symptoms on different audio equipment, I'm more inclined to blame Fox for feeding Cox a 2.0 audio stream in their HD Feed.

In comparison, the normal Fox SD channel 12 has 2.0 audio and Fox HD 712 has 5.1 audio as one would expect. CBS SD has 2.0 audio and CBS HD has 5.1 audio as well.

The only real way to find out what should be happening is for Cox Engineers to talk with the Fox Soccer channel engineers.

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

Not sure what can be done, but the thread was forwarded to someone in engineering to take a look at.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to cadillact

I can confirm that on DirecTV, the Fox Soccer HD channel is in 5.1 Dolby Digital and the SD channel is in 2.0 Dolby Pro-Logic II.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to CoxJimR

Thanks forwarding it along, Jim. I was just helping out the OP to confirm his symptoms on my end. Personally, I don't really watch Soccer so I've never tuned to either channel before now.

cadillact

Chula Vista, CA
reply to cadillact

Just wanted to thank all participants here for your input and help.

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA
reply to cadillact

Just to close the loop on this, I heard back from an engineer who basically told me that based on a couple of issues we just pass through the audio we receive. Don't know if that helps much, but that's what I have heard.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
reply to MarkRH

::Edit:: Decided to make this a PM instead to OP. Apologies.

dmorack

join:2005-06-30
Herndon, VA
reply to CoxJimR

said by CoxJimR:

Just to close the loop on this, I heard back from an engineer who basically told me that based on a couple of issues we just pass through the audio we receive. Don't know if that helps much, but that's what I have heard.

So contact FSC and tell them to fix it. It appears that FSC has the audio swapped on their end or the engineers at Cox don't understand the issue. (It took 2 weeks for Cox to fix NHL Center Ice HD earlier this year.)

God forbid someone actually makes a phone call. It's common sense that the HD channel should have 5.1, not just the SD channel.

Why Cox doesn't spend the time to verify that they are providing the best possible picture and sound regularly is beyond me. They rely too much on the customers to notify them of problems and then don't listen when customers explain the issue. I guess it's too easy to say "We just pass on the signal that is supplied to us." instead of verifying that the signal is correct.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to cadillact

I am admittedly not terribly familiar with how cable and satellite providers receive content from the networks, but I will point out again that apparently DirecTV is getting Dolby Digital from FSCHD and 2.0 on the SD channel. Do they have a different "feed" than Cox is getting?